The Student Room Group

Guy going into health and social care extended diploma level 3?

is this a good choice for me? i love healthcare, especially the nutrition and physiological side. I'm male and when i look up statistics for most health care professions (nurses, healthcare assistants ect) it's mostly female. Will i be discriminated or limited in what i can do? since most people probably wouldn't like a bloke man handling/ nurturing them back to health.

I've recently been doing business admin level 2 apprenticeship in an accounting firm and it's boring as heck. And it's making me depressed since all i do is data entry. I want to help people and make a difference in someones life.

I'm 19 years old by the way if that makes a difference
I don't think it matters if your a guy doing health and social care. I think that you should just so what you want because that's what your most comfortable with.
Reply 2
Original post by mohawkbrah
is this a good choice for me? i love healthcare, especially the nutrition and physiological side. I'm male and when i look up statistics for most health care professions (nurses, healthcare assistants ect) it's mostly female. Will i be discriminated or limited in what i can do? since most people probably wouldn't like a bloke man handling/ nurturing them back to health.

I've recently been doing business admin level 2 apprenticeship in an accounting firm and it's boring as heck. And it's making me depressed since all i do is data entry. I want to help people and make a difference in someones life.

I'm 19 years old by the way if that makes a difference

If the statistics suggest that there is a large female:male ratio, wouldn't this also imply that males would be more valued?

I hardly doubt you'll be discriminated if you choose to continue through this profession; male nurses are becoming more sought after, and you are hardly likely to be rejected from a professional pathway due to your gender.

If it's something that you'll enjoy, go for it. It's pretty likely that there will be other males within the course. You could alternatively look into other healthcare apprenticeships, or go straight into a university course If you can.

If you progress past the Diploma and choose a health care profession:
Yes, an elderly man may prefer a young lady to stare at and possibly grope at some point while they are being helped, but you would be there to do a good job, not to look pretty.
(edited 9 years ago)
Do what you want to do. There's no point in you doing something that you don't enjoy, you need to think about how your choices are going to affect you in the long run. It doesn't matter if you're male or female.. as long as you're a nice, caring person who enjoys what they do and can do their job properly then you're just as likely to be as successful as a female in the profession. It's your life, don't let other people put you off what you want to do:smile:
Hope I've helped and best of luck !
Reply 4
Not at all, our college tried to recruit more males on to the health and social extended diploma. I'm currently doing the course and wish we had males on the course as males can bring different perspectives to the profession!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending