The Student Room Group

Rejected and now regretting course choice

I have been rejected after interview for PPE at Oxford this year, and I am kind of devastated because getting into Oxbridge was one of my main goals for quite some time. My other alternative was HSPS at Cambridge, which I decided against to apply for the significantly more competitive degree that is PPE (parlty due to the economics component). I now regret this choice, as I believe my chances would have been significantly higher with Cambridge, due to the fact that there are fewer candidates per place and the HSPS course does not yet have the prestige of PPE.

Any advice as to how to get rid of this regret? It is literally ruining my life atm. Also, having an offer from the LSE this year, does anyone think if there is any point in reapplying to either?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

LSE is a fantastic uni in an awesome city. Be proud of thT achievement alone :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by SnooFnoo
LSE is a fantastic uni in an awesome city. Be proud of thT achievement alone :smile:

Thanks, but the feeleing of that achievement was kind of lost in the anticipation and nerves of getting ready for the Oxford interview...
Original post by philerus
Thanks, but the feeleing of that achievement was kind of lost in the anticipation and nerves of getting ready for the Oxford interview...

I kinda know what you mean as similar happened to me (many years ago) but you won't care once you go to LSE. I went to my "second choice" and I'm 24 and earn almost 40k which for a first job ain't bad!
Was it your goal to get into OxBridge simply for the prestige value of saying you went there?

You cannot regret something that you didn't do in this case because you have absolutely no guarantee that you would have gotten into Cambridge any way. Not everyone wants to go to or applies to OxBridge.

You are also fortunate that you hold an offer from LSE - that is nothing to sniffed at. Take a look at the LSE threads and see the number of people who have been rejected who really wanted to go there. Accept that offer and get on with the rest of your life. However, if you feel that you really have to go to OxBridge, you will have to take a Gap Year and try again next year...
Reply 5
Original post by JamjamjamT
Was it your goal to get into OxBridge simply for the prestige value of saying you went there?

You cannot regret something that you didn't do in this case because you have absolutely no guarantee that you would have gotten into Cambridge any way. Not everyone wants to go to or applies to OxBridge.

You are also fortunate that you hold an offer from LSE - that is nothing to sniffed at. Take a look at the LSE threads and see the number of people who have been rejected who really wanted to go there. Accept that offer and get on with the rest of your life. However, if you feel that you really have to go to OxBridge, you will have to take a Gap Year and try again next year...

Thanks for your reply. I realise that, but I can't help but feel that my chances of getting into HSPS were significantly higher both due to applicants per place and the relative competitiveness of applicants. A large part of my worries have to do with prestige, as my academic achievments over the years have caused great expectation both from everyone I know and myself with regards to where I end up at uni. Plus, the HSPS couse seems amazing and I only decided against it due to it not having an economics component, which I feel is a very useful subject.

I will be accepting the LSE offer. Taking a gap year to reapply is risky, pointless and, franky, a relative waste of time. I am just having trouble getting rid of the regrets and acknowledging that I made the right choice in applying for PPE. Thanks for your help.
If you've gotten into LSE forget the rest haha I'd say LSE is better anyway.
Original post by WishIHadRevised

Amen brother...
Reply 8
Original post by WishIHadRevised

Cheers mate, this simple phrase made me feel much better!
I have been rejected after interview for PPE at Oxford this year, and I am kind of devastated because getting into Oxbridge was one of my main goals for quite some time. My other alternative was HSPS at Cambridge, which I decided against to apply for the significantly more competitive degree that is PPE (parlty due to the economics component). I now regret this choice, as I believe my chances would have been significantly higher with Cambridge, due to the fact that there are fewer candidates per place and the HSPS course does not yet have the prestige of PPE.

Any advice as to how to get rid of this regret? It is literally ruining my life atm. Also, having an offer from the LSE this year, does anyone think if there is any point in reapplying to either?

Thanks.

I can understand your disappointment, but at this stage, you need to look forward, rather than back. Regretting your decisions at this point won't change anything - it'll just make you feel awful about yourself.

The grass is always greener on the other side, and the fact is you'll never know whether you would have gotten an offer had you applied. Just because a subject is less competitive numbers-wise doesn't necessarily mean one would have gotten an offer. I study Law, but I'm fairly sure that had I applied for something like Classics, I wouldn't have gotten an offer simply because I'm pretty awful with languages.

Since you've decided against taking a gap year, I would advise you to accept that Oxbridge wasn't meant to be, and that you'll go on to have a great time at LSE. Sometimes, things in life happen that don't seem to align with what we want, but in the long run, you'll probably look back and be grateful things turned out the way they did.

If you are at all open to a gap year, I would say wait for your feedback and your A2 results.

In any case, LSE is a fantastic school, and I'm sure no matter where you end up, you will go on to have a fulfilling experience in university :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by mishieru07
I can understand your disappointment, but at this stage, you need to look forward, rather than back. Regretting your decisions at this point won't change anything - it'll just make you feel awful about yourself.

The grass is always greener on the other side, and the fact is you'll never know whether you would have gotten an offer had you applied. Just because a subject is less competitive numbers-wise doesn't necessarily mean one would have gotten an offer. I study Law, but I'm fairly sure that had I applied for something like Classics, I wouldn't have gotten an offer simply because I'm pretty awful with languages.

Since you've decided against taking a gap year, I would advise you to accept that Oxbridge wasn't meant to be, and that you'll go on to have a great time at LSE. Sometimes, things in life happen that don't seem to align with what we want, but in the long run, you'll probably look back and be grateful things turned out the way they did.

If you are at all open to a gap year, I would say wait for your feedback and your A2 results.

In any case, LSE is a fantastic school, and I'm sure no matter where you end up, you will go on to have a fulfilling experience in university :smile:

Thanks for your advice.

I do seem to think that I would have had a higher shot at HSPS anyway, but I definitely see your point.

Do you know if it is possible to reapply once you are enrolled at another university? I would think that I would only consider reapplying if that were the case, for the reasons I mentioned above. I would actually want to reapply as, considering how much I wanted to get in, I think I overestimated my chances of getting into something as competitive as PPE and, being so close to getting in, makes me feel disatissfied atm, as if the task is incomplete.
Thanks for your advice.

I do seem to think that I would have had a higher shot at HSPS anyway, but I definitely see your point.

Do you know if it is possible to reapply once you are enrolled at another university? I would think that I would only consider reapplying if that were the case, for the reasons I mentioned above. I would actually want to reapply as, considering how much I wanted to get in, I think I overestimated my chances of getting into something as competitive as PPE and, being so close to getting in, makes me feel disatissfied atm, as if the task is incomplete.

I'm not entirely sure that Oxford allows reapplications from someone already studying at another UK university, it isn't clear from their answer here: https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/528/~/can-i-reapply-if-my-previous-application-was-unsuccessful%3F. My suggestion would be to call up Admissions and any Colleges that you are considering. Cambridge requires you to get approval from your current university before they will consider an application (http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/otherroutes.html)

I really would advise you not to get too hung up from Oxbridge, even if you do reapply. There's simply no guarantee that you will receive an offer, and every year they turn down many excellent candidates.
I am just having trouble getting rid of the regrets and acknowledging that I made the right choice in applying for PPE. Thanks for your help.

Life is full of good and bad experiences but you really cant think like this. You applied and it didn't work out, so pick up and move on.
You have absolutely no way of knowing if you would have been successful at Cambridge despite the statistics, so its not really up for debate when you say you should have applied there.

LSE is a great University and one I'm sure you will be happy at. Focus on that now rather than living in the past. <---Life advice in general here!
Reply 13
Original post by uniqsummer
Life is full of good and bad experiences but you really cant think like this. You applied and it didn't work out, so pick up and move on.
You have absolutely no way of knowing if you would have been successful at Cambridge despite the statistics, so its not really up for debate when you say you should have applied there.

LSE is a great University and one I'm sure you will be happy at. Focus on that now rather than living in the past. <---Life advice in general here!

Thanks for your helpful life advice :biggrin: ! I will pick myself up and I have to remember that I did not jsut apply for the sake of getting into Oxbridge and that there were reasons for me picking the course I did, knowing full on that my chances were significantly lower.
Thanks for your advice.

I know that when I went to my interviews at Oxford this year I met a guy who was in his first year at Edinburgh, so I assume it's allowed - I have no idea about Cambridge though.
Reply 15
Original post by Naomi12
I know that when I went to my interviews at Oxford this year I met a guy who was in his first year at Edinburgh, so I assume it's allowed - I have no idea about Cambridge though.

I have just confirmed with Oxford that it is indeed allowed, I will probably reapply for the same course just for the sake of it, even though I might not necessarilly drop out of LSE at the end.

Cambridge also allows it, but only if you change subject or something along those lines, and receive full support from your current tutor.
You'll have more fun in Londinium
Reply 17
Original post by Paladian
You'll have more fun in Londinium

Thanks for your ressponse. Perhaps. Whilst I initially did not see that as a valid advantage of any university over another, I now suppose that it may indeed be one. After all, you will only be 18-21 once in your lifetime.
Thanks for your ressponse. Perhaps. Whilst I initially did not see that as a valid advantage of any university over another, I now suppose that it may indeed be one. After all, you will only be 18-21 once in your lifetime.

Although Oxford is a great city or at least I presume so the cultural benefits of being in London are huge. You could pop into the houses of parliament on a regular basis to see how politics really works.:tongue:
Reply 19
Original post by Paladian
Although Oxford is a great city or at least I presume so the cultural benefits of being in London are huge. You could pop into the houses of parliament on a regular basis to see how politics really works.:tongue:

Haha, that is definitely an experience that will never get old and that I would be a fool to miss out on. One significant disadvantage that London has, however, is how expensive it is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending