The Student Room Group

Am I in the wrong or am I ok?

I've recently become single. It's been 3 years and almost 3 months since I was last single, and I was a naive boy then, only just starting out at university. It ended on good terms, if you must know.

But everything is different for me now. My affections towards a friend I've known for a very long time, longer than I've known my previous girlfriend for, have returned stronger than ever. I don't know if this is simply a rebound thing or if the years of suppressing those feelings have piled up. But I can say with confidence that a large part of my heart is placed with her. In fact, even seeing her name makes me happy, I love seeing her face and receiving even the most insignificant message from her.

This all seems great and I'm sure many would say for me to go for it, since it's been 5 years of this. But there's a catch.

She lives on the other side of the Atlantic, and neither of us have the money.

We're coping with what we can for now and we've both agreed that we feel like the physical side of a relationship is very much needed for us, since we've got everything else down.
So it's kinda just at that "almost? We could, couldn't we? But it's too far, neither of us would cope" stage.

I've joined a skype group consisting of a few people I play on a minecraft server with not too long ago. Occasionally we turn on the cameras just so we can see everyone's faces. One of them flirts quite a lot but we've accepted it since it's causing no real harm and it's quite fun for all of us, she told me during a one-to-one skype chat that she actually developed feelings for one of the guys. I teased her a little about it because she had no idea it would happen, especially because she didn't think he looked all too much. Still, she didn't change her behaviour because again, it wasn't too bad and none of us were really uncomfortable about it.

She's 'joked' a couple of times about what she thought about me, that I was really good looking, she really likes my voice and I noticed more flirting towards me, which I don't know if it was just because I had my camera on more often than the others. But our one-to-one skype sessions became more 'casual', she said she's confident about her looks and doesn't care about what she wears much, so it started with her very casually changing her top. Me being single and kidding myself that this sort of thing shouldn't mean anything thought that this was fine, "It's ok, I mean, they're just breasts right?". I suppose it's because I said nothing negative why she begun to flash me during skype chats. It got more and more explicit quickly from then. I'll spare the details but she's recently been revealing more heartfelt feelings towards me.

The problem is that while the physical attraction is there, and the excitement of it, my strong feelings and my heart are placed elsewhere. I thought I could share them but I was wrong and I feel wrong for considering it.

Why did I continue to reciprocate towards her? Because my sex life with my girlfriend wasn't really as how others' would be, there were complications and it was long distance, so the times that I was able to visit were either badly timed, or when we tried it caused her too much pain so we had to stop anyway. So it was mostly very different to how I had imagined it to be but I was prepared to overlook that for the sake of everything else we had. But now single I have no commitments and so once temptation hits, I can submit to it if I wanted to, and I did.

But she also lives in the US.

So now I have a friend whom I've known for a long time and have strong emotional feelings for, and a recent friend whom I have physical feelings for, but not emotionally, and she's recently really been hinting towards a relationship... which I don't want.. because again, there's an ocean. And if I had to choose between the two I would go with the first without hesitating.

I feel terrible about this, I thought being single would allow me to relax and calm down and find myself. Instead I cannot escape the emotions and I can't help myself from the attention I'm receiving. Now I have two girls across an ocean pining for me, none of us have enough money to travel, and I don't know where to go from here.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
So much for misclicking the anon checkbox..
It is customary for a thread of this extreme length to include a TL;DR, good sir.
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
So much for misclicking the anon checkbox..

It's cool bro, just continue as you are... whilst I silently judge you :ninja:
Reply 4
Original post by Zamestaneh
It's cool bro, just continue as you are... whilst I silently judge you :ninja:

I'm judging myself enough!

I think I should stop myself with the second girl, as exciting as it all is.
I'm judging myself enough!

I think I should stop myself with the second girl, as exciting as it all is.

Let your heart do the thinking, not your penis, so go for the one you love and not the one who stirs lust even though it may be exciting; alternatively you can give up on both and start afresh and look for a new girl elsewhere :beard:
Original post by Foo.mp3
Essentially, he finished with his girlfriend, with whom he had a pretty dire LDR/sexual relationship, and now has two yanky Skype buddies on the go - both of whom have the hots for him, but neither of whom he has any realistic prospect of seeing IRL any time soon. He feels guilty for some reason and is wondering what he should do..

Spoiler

You have done the community a service, my good man. Have a rep :biggrin:

Now I know what's going on... hopping from one LDR to another? Are. You. CRAZY? Your knob must hate you mate :lol:
Reply 7
Original post by WoodyMKC
You have done the community a service, my good man. Have a rep :biggrin:

Now I know what's going on... hopping from one LDR to another? Are. You. CRAZY? Your knob must hate you mate :lol:

I don't go out much :')
I've recently become single. It's been 3 years and almost 3 months since I was last single, and I was a naive boy then, only just starting out at university. It ended on good terms, if you must know.

But everything is different for me now. My affections towards a friend I've known for a very long time, longer than I've known my previous girlfriend for, have returned stronger than ever. I don't know if this is simply a rebound thing or if the years of suppressing those feelings have piled up. But I can say with confidence that a large part of my heart is placed with her. In fact, even seeing her name makes me happy, I love seeing her face and receiving even the most insignificant message from her.

This all seems great and I'm sure many would say for me to go for it, since it's been 5 years of this. But there's a catch.

She lives on the other side of the Atlantic, and neither of us have the money.

We're coping with what we can for now and we've both agreed that we feel like the physical side of a relationship is very much needed for us, since we've got everything else down.
So it's kinda just at that "almost? We could, couldn't we? But it's too far, neither of us would cope" stage.

I've joined a skype group consisting of a few people I play on a minecraft server with not too long ago. Occasionally we turn on the cameras just so we can see everyone's faces. One of them flirts quite a lot but we've accepted it since it's causing no real harm and it's quite fun for all of us, she told me during a one-to-one skype chat that she actually developed feelings for one of the guys. I teased her a little about it because she had no idea it would happen, especially because she didn't think he looked all too much. Still, she didn't change her behaviour because again, it wasn't too bad and none of us were really uncomfortable about it.

She's 'joked' a couple of times about what she thought about me, that I was really good looking, she really likes my voice and I noticed more flirting towards me, which I don't know if it was just because I had my camera on more often than the others. But our one-to-one skype sessions became more 'casual', she said she's confident about her looks and doesn't care about what she wears much, so it started with her very casually changing her top. Me being single and kidding myself that this sort of thing shouldn't mean anything thought that this was fine, "It's ok, I mean, they're just breasts right?". I suppose it's because I said nothing negative why she begun to flash me during skype chats. It got more and more explicit quickly from then. I'll spare the details but she's recently been revealing more heartfelt feelings towards me.

The problem is that while the physical attraction is there, and the excitement of it, my strong feelings and my heart are placed elsewhere. I thought I could share them but I was wrong and I feel wrong for considering it.

Why did I continue to reciprocate towards her? Because my sex life with my girlfriend wasn't really as how others' would be, there were complications and it was long distance, so the times that I was able to visit were either badly timed, or when we tried it caused her too much pain so we had to stop anyway. So it was mostly very different to how I had imagined it to be but I was prepared to overlook that for the sake of everything else we had. But now single I have no commitments and so once temptation hits, I can submit to it if I wanted to, and I did.

But she also lives in the US.

So now I have a friend whom I've known for a long time and have strong emotional feelings for, and a recent friend whom I have physical feelings for, but not emotionally, and she's recently really been hinting towards a relationship... which I don't want.. because again, there's an ocean. And if I had to choose between the two I would go with the first without hesitating.

I feel terrible about this, I thought being single would allow me to relax and calm down and find myself. Instead I cannot escape the emotions and I can't help myself from the attention I'm receiving. Now I have two girls across an ocean pining for me, none of us have enough money to travel, and I don't know where to go from here.
god were similar.

had a changeable scenario. girls on campus versus london girl who oddly I had more feelings for.

in this case you have to move on from american gurl...
explain to the other girl you want casual or wahtever and go from there.

Original post by Foo.mp3
Essentially, he finished with his girlfriend, with whom he had a pretty dire LDR/sexual relationship, and now has two yanky Skype buddies on the go - both of whom have the hots for him, but neither of whom he has any realistic prospect of seeing IRL any time soon. He feels guilty for some reason and is wondering what he should do..

Spoiler

makes a good point tbf.

RL clunge? does that mean going clubbing etc because thats ****.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Real life clunge can be gamed anywhere yo :borat:
Im not sure Im down for casual tbh...

pretty hard to get girls either way.
Reply 10
Original post by Foo.mp3
At your service, TSR :top2:

Spoiler

Haha. In fairness I suspect he's sensible enough not to get himself caught up in any trans-Atlantic rationing arrangements (one would hope) :erm:

No chance I'm going for another LDR again, 4 hours in the train is hard enough for me :/
Reply 11
x

Seems this is a common situation. Maybe we should YOLO it and buy an apartment in the US :lol:

My situation is kinda similar and so ugh, but without 3rd party. Broke up with gf about a month or so ago, having a really rough time, my best friend of 10 years or so has been incredibly amazing and supportive, and has always been incredibly amazing, and I've always been in love with her. BUT she lives in Iowa. And every time we skype I think 'god you're so cute' - To top it off she's being suggestive and stuff and wants me to come on holiday to the Galapigos with her for 2 months in the summer, making it quite clear what would transpire there. BUT 1. she's my best friend and only friend I've had for so long and only person I trust and I really value her as a friend despite the fact I want to **** her brains out too. 2. I **** up relationships massively, each and every time. And I'd hurt her. So scared that if I go I'll ruin a friendship. And what if I don't ruin it, even then what happens???? We're on the other side of the planet most of the year for god sake :/

So at the moment I'm thinking of excuses and stuff. I've been honest about it too but god knows.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, seemed like similar stories and it's eating at me!
Reply 12
Original post by samba
Seems this is a common situation. Maybe we should YOLO it and buy an apartment in the US :lol:

My situation is kinda similar and so ugh, but without 3rd party. Broke up with gf about a month or so ago, having a really rough time, my best friend of 10 years or so has been incredibly amazing and supportive, and has always been incredibly amazing, and I've always been in love with her. BUT she lives in Iowa. And every time we skype I think 'god you're so cute' - To top it off she's being suggestive and stuff and wants me to come on holiday to the Galapigos with her for 2 months in the summer, making it quite clear what would transpire there. BUT 1. she's my best friend and only friend I've had for so long and only person I trust and I really value her as a friend despite the fact I want to **** her brains out too. 2. I **** up relationships massively, each and every time. And I'd hurt her. So scared that if I go I'll ruin a friendship. And what if I don't ruin it, even then what happens???? We're on the other side of the planet most of the year for god sake :/

So at the moment I'm thinking of excuses and stuff. I've been honest about it too but god knows.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, seemed like similar stories and it's eating at me!

It's ok! At least I feel as alone with this thing!
Reply 13
It's ok! At least I feel as alone with this thing!

btw, for what it's worth I wouldn't put too much into this other girl. A bit of fun sure, but your heart isn't in it, and you're probably just doing it as you're lonely and needing to rebound a bit.
Original post by samba
btw, for what it's worth I wouldn't put too much into this other girl. A bit of fun sure, but your heart isn't in it, and you're probably just doing it as you're lonely and needing to rebound a bit.
yeh but in reality as youd have to tell her you wanted casual..shed say no as shes feelings for him...so might have to go find another rebound..

Original post by Foo.mp3
I was using facetious terminology, I'm talking about girls in general, not just 'tings'

If you are lacking opportunity (living in a wilderness) and/or confidence (living in a cardboard box) then sure, otherwise, no!

4 hour train journey + connections, for a shabby/sexless relationship. My man, you have suffered! :nopity:

Spoiler

haha grand eejit yeh

in a LDR atm so cant comment much haha
Honestly, I would cut out the second girl.

So, either find some way of being in a non-LDR at some point in the future with girl 1, or start afresh with girls that you don't have to be in a LDR for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending