The Student Room Group

Taking a job during uni? What do you think?

Extra cash is really important to me. anyone working while studying in UK?
Hi,

I currently go home every weekend to keep the job i had before starting uni and still continue with it now.

As long as you work during the week you should be fine. You just need to find the right balance for you when studying
Original post by glorypower

Hello!

Having a job whilst studying at university is totally doable, providing you get a job that doesn't override your commitments to your studies. It is also very useful for gaining experience, new skills and meeting new people.

I would suggest looking at jobs that are at the university. This will be so much easier and they understand that your studies come first. Of course you will still have to be committed to the job once you take it but there will be work that fits around your studies. It is also useful having a job on campus as you can go straight from lectures or seminars etc.

I am a student ambassador at the University of Reading and would recommend applying to be one at whatever university you go to. The hours are very flexible and you generally only take on the work that you can do. There will be weeks where I do quite a few jobs and others where I don't work as much due to upcoming essay deadlines etc. The work is varied from campus tours, admin work, school events, ucas events and so on.

Another job which is at most universities is a caller fund. In this you contact the alumni of the university to help raise funds that go towards scholarships, bursaries, societies and teaching resources. Its very important and rewarding. You also get to speak with so many interesting people, some of which may have studied the same course as you, so you can gain advice and learn about their careers.

If you currently have a job in a shop or other establishment, it may be possible to do a transfer to a branch in your university area.

I hope this helps! Feel free to ask any more questions,
Pip, third year English Literature and History of Art
Yeah, it's doable. I'll grab a job flogging broadband or telephone charity fundraising for four hours a day, three days a week when I start at uni. I once did both those jobs as my full time, permanent employment, so four hours a day a few days a week will be a breeze and will also beat 10 hour television subtitling shifts hands down. My uni hours will be 6pm-9pm, so plenty of time to study around that work schedule.
Original post by glorypower

Tens of thousands of students up and down the country work while they are at University.

Unless you're lazy with zero work ethic it's easily possible to hold down a part-time job without it doing any damage to either your studies or your social life.
Reply 5
Original post by mackemforever
Tens of thousands of students up and down the country work while they are at University.

Unless you're lazy with zero work ethic it's easily possible to hold down a part-time job without it doing any damage to either your studies or your social life.

Yes, I understand. But I wanted to know if somebody here is working to ask them about their work conditions etc
Reply 6
Original post by UniofReading
Hello!

Having a job whilst studying at university is totally doable, providing you get a job that doesn't override your commitments to your studies. It is also very useful for gaining experience, new skills and meeting new people.

I would suggest looking at jobs that are at the university. This will be so much easier and they understand that your studies come first. Of course you will still have to be committed to the job once you take it but there will be work that fits around your studies. It is also useful having a job on campus as you can go straight from lectures or seminars etc.

I am a student ambassador at the University of Reading and would recommend applying to be one at whatever university you go to. The hours are very flexible and you generally only take on the work that you can do. There will be weeks where I do quite a few jobs and others where I don't work as much due to upcoming essay deadlines etc. The work is varied from campus tours, admin work, school events, ucas events and so on.

Another job which is at most universities is a caller fund. In this you contact the alumni of the university to help raise funds that go towards scholarships, bursaries, societies and teaching resources. Its very important and rewarding. You also get to speak with so many interesting people, some of which may have studied the same course as you, so you can gain advice and learn about their careers.

If you currently have a job in a shop or other establishment, it may be possible to do a transfer to a branch in your university area.

I hope this helps! Feel free to ask any more questions,
Pip, third year English Literature and History of Art

Thanks a lot for your respond.
I work for 21 hours a week alongside uni. They're really flexible for my uni timetable and understand that it changes.

I work in a supermarket and it's awesome, think I might have a career within the company (not on a retail store basis). :biggrin:
yeah :smile: i used to work 6 1/2 hours a week during a level but i now work 10 hours a week at waitrose :smile: it can be a bit stressful sometimes but i love the extra money , it helps me out a lot
I work in a hotel, usually just one shift a week but I have a zero hour contract so I can do more (or none!) if I want :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends on what course you are doing. I am doing teaching and when I'm on placement its hell. I get good money for my job but when im doing 8-5 days everyday and then doing 16 hours a weekend its very physically and mentally draining. It's not a shift work job either, they are permanent fixed hours and I cant swap or anything. If I didn't work though I couldn't live at uni so its vital for me. Just make sure it doesn't detriment your studies :smile:
I work two jobs alongside Uni =)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending