The Student Room Group

Flashy A-Level subjunctives?

Basically Range of Structures revolves around subjunctives. If i include 5 of them, i'm guaranteed 4 or 5 /5 for it.

Anyone have any flashy ones?

Ones i know are

Bien que
Pourvu que:eek:
Reply 1
Maybe 'On ne peut pas nier que...'.
I can't think of much else right now.
Original post by naxiv
Basically Range of Structures revolves around subjunctives. If i include 5 of them, i'm guaranteed 4 or 5 /5 for it.

Ones i know are

Bien que

Here are some examples I can think of:

Quoi que l'on fasse - Whatever you do
Je crains que - I fear that
à condition que - provided that
Afin que/pour que - In order that/ so that
Il est peu probable que - It's unlikely that
Il est important que- It's important that

Even just putting 'je pense que' or 'je crois que' into negative forms makes them subjunctive (je ne pense pas que...)
Original post by naxiv

Ones i know are

Bien que

Of course you need to use subjunctives, and some good ones at that. The other posters have put up some good examples of uses; I recommend you demonstrate that you know how to use it after vouloir que and demander que, because the French structure is so very different from in English.

But "range of structures" means... "range". Not just the subjunctive. Try to use most of the following as well as a few subjunctives:

- passive voice
- si clauses (with imperfect + conditional, or with pluperfect + conditional perfect even better)
- the pronouns y and/or en (eg: je n'y ai rien compris; nous n'en voulons plus)
- relative pronouns like dont, ce qui, ce que, preposition + lequel
- reported speech kicking off in the past, eg: il a promis qu'il le ferait.
- en + present participle (eg: en chantant)
étant donné que
moins que
il semble que
je ne pense pas que
je considère que
je doute que
il ne paraît pas que
jusqu'à ce que
sans que
autant que je sache
autant qu'on puisse en juger
je ne suis pas convaincue que
quel dommage que
Original post by beyknowles
étant donné que
moins que
il semble que
je ne pense pas que
je considère que

Corrections!

étant donné que does not take the subjunctive. The structure introduces a fact and so does not require the subjunctive.

The expression for "at least" is à moins que. "moins que" without the "à" just means "less than".

Il semble que is tricky and sometimes does not take the subjunctive, depending on context. However, the negative il ne semble pas que always takes the subjunctive.

Je considère que is simply a synonym for je pense que and behaves in the same way. So it requires the subjunctive only if it is negative.

The suggestions in your second post are all correct!
Original post by Anna Schoon
Corrections!

étant donné que does not take the subjunctive. The structure introduces a fact and so does not require the subjunctive.

The expression for "at least" is à moins que. "moins que" without the "à" just means "less than".

Il semble que is tricky and sometimes does not take the subjunctive, depending on context. However, the negative il ne semble pas que always takes the subjunctive.

Je considère que is simply a synonym for je pense que and behaves in the same way. So it requires the subjunctive only if it is negative.

The suggestions in your second post are all correct!

oops sorry ! I knew à moins que needed the à, not sure why I didn't put that in!

And with Considerer, am I right in saying that when you turn it into a question, "Considères-tu que..?", you use the subjunctive? If so I guess that's why I presumed "Je considère que' also took it

Merci de corriger mes erreurs :biggrin:
Original post by beyknowles
oops sorry ! I knew à moins que needed the à, not sure why I didn't put that in!

And with Considerer, am I right in saying that when you turn it into a question, "Considères-tu que..?", you use the subjunctive? If so I guess that's why I presumed "Je considère que' also took it

Merci de corriger mes erreurs :biggrin:

Yes, you're right: the questions Pensez-vous que ...? / Considérez-vous que ...? do take the subjunctive normally.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending