The Student Room Group

Getting straight A* at gcse?

Scroll to see replies

gg
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by e2014
Hi, so I'm in year 9 and currently choosing my gcse. The deadline is tomorrow and I've picked:
ENGLISH
MATHS
SCIENCE
RE
(compulsory)
HISTORY
SPANISH
COMPUTER SCIENCE
LATIN (which is an after school 'twilight course' I'm worried about because it might be hard, but taking nevertheless)
I set quite high expectations for myself and am ideally aiming for straight A*s. How possible is this? I'd love to hear from people currently taking GCSES, or anyone further than that. Thanks!
(also maybe you could help me in deciding whether I should take latin. I'm a really academically able student - with all modesty - and I think it would be a subject I'd pursue an interest in, just worried about not being able to grab that a*)
thanks!

Personally I would say drop Latin, Wow I am taking computer studies and its probably the hardest one to get an A* in. You can easily get an A in in but there is a big leap from A to an A*. However if you like it then go for it!
Straight A*'s are absolutely possible, I myself am aiming for 9 A*-A GCSE's and a Distinction in a Level 2 Engineering qualification, thats what I think most people should aim for, because straight A*'s can add a bit too much stress.
Reply 23
Original post by e2014
In English, Maths and I think science.

All of your grade will be numbers when you take your exam x
Computer Science by far is the hardest it literally killed me hours and hours and I get a B :frown:
Reply 25
Original post by myapure
All of your grade will be numbers when you take your exam x

I'm taking them next month. It's just maths and English. :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by e2014

Oh okay sorry, I thought you said you were in year 9! I am taking them next month too!
Reply 27
I'm pretty sure you'll be taking the 1-9 system , correct me if I'm wrong but I've heard the getting a nine is much harder than getting an a star, it's possible to get straight a stars but I'm not sure about straight 9ns as it's for the 1% of the 1% , as long as you put in the effort a good handful of 8 and 9s is possible but there's always the possibility that you have a bad day ( like i did) and one of your grades drops😇🙃
Reply 28
You're on the 9-1 aren't you?? My brother is in Y10 and he's on the 9-1. It will be REALLY tough to get 9's as that's an A**, but straight 8's would be entirely possible (from what I've been told)
Reply 29
Original post by myapure
Oh okay sorry, I thought you said you were in year 9! I am taking them next month too!

I was in year 9 when I posted this thread two years ago :biggrin: good luck in your exams!
well done
One of the heads of the exam boards said that he thought only 2 people nationally would get straight 9s (Next year obviously; we only have the potential to get 3.)
Reply 32
Original post by e2014
I was in year 9 when I posted this thread two years ago :biggrin: good luck in your exams!

Ahhh makes more sense good luck to you too
Just remember Oxford isn't everything. It's good to set yourself a goal, at a young age as well, but you've also got to be realistic. it is your responsibility to aim for a realistic goal that you know you can achieve. GCSE's aren't the end of the world, they are just a stepping stone to A-Levels which are far more important in the eyes of universities. It was also my impression that Grade 9's were the equivalent of an A^ and only a tiny percentage of candidates would achieve such a grade- a Grade 8 is essentially the equivalent of a normal A* I thought. It's good to strive for perfection sometimes but it is also helpful to fail too; it really is the only way to learn. Instead of worrying about a decision you'll make years from now focus on your GCSE's. Only take latin if you genuinely believe you would enjoy doing it, don't do it if you think it will be a chore. It's like any choice in life, only do it if you think you will enjoy it.
Reply 34
Original post by EJWellwood
Just remember Oxford isn't everything. It's good to set yourself a goal, at a young age as well, but you've also got to be realistic. it is your responsibility to aim for a realistic goal that you know you can achieve. GCSE's aren't the end of the world, they are just a stepping stone to A-Levels which are far more important in the eyes of universities. It was also my impression that Grade 9's were the equivalent of an A^ and only a tiny percentage of candidates would achieve such a grade- a Grade 8 is essentially the equivalent of a normal A* I thought. It's good to strive for perfection sometimes but it is also helpful to fail too; it really is the only way to learn. Instead of worrying about a decision you'll make years from now focus on your GCSE's. Only take latin if you genuinely believe you would enjoy doing it, don't do it if you think it will be a chore. It's like any choice in life, only do it if you think you will enjoy it.

Thanks but this thread was posted 2 years ago so I already decided not to take Latin. :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by ineedA
I'm pretty sure you'll be taking the 1-9 system , correct me if I'm wrong but I've heard the getting a nine is much harder than getting an a star, it's possible to get straight a stars but I'm not sure about straight 9ns as it's for the 1% of the 1% , as long as you put in the effort a good handful of 8 and 9s is possible but there's always the possibility that you have a bad day ( like i did) and one of your grades drops😇🙃

I'm in year 11 now aha, this was posted 2 years ago. I'm doing 9-1 in English and Maths.
Reply 36
Original post by AfcFob
You're on the 9-1 aren't you?? My brother is in Y10 and he's on the 9-1. It will be REALLY tough to get 9's as that's an A**, but straight 8's would be entirely possible (from what I've been told)

I'm in year 11 now aha, this was posted 2 years ago. I'm doing 9-1 in English and Maths. I'm aiming for a 9 in English Literature and Language. :smile:
Original post by e2014

if you dont get straight a*'s for gcse then just retire
Reply 38
Original post by e2014
I'm in year 11 now aha, this was posted 2 years ago. I'm doing 9-1 in English and Maths. I'm aiming for a 9 in English Literature and Language. :smile:

Ah fairs. Still remember 9's aren't everything

Quick Reply

Latest