The Student Room Group
Campus
University of Wales Trinity Saint David

Arts Degree (Foundation, BSc etc) Applicants 2015

My girlfriend is applying for an art foundation degree at TSD and I thought this would put her in touch with others :smile:
Reply 1
I just finished the foundation course and I can say she will have fun :smile: Also the best way to find people is on the foundation art page on facebook! So many people on there.
Campus
University of Wales Trinity Saint David
Reply 2
Original post by Slflay
I just finished the foundation course and I can say she will have fun :smile: Also the best way to find people is on the foundation art page on facebook! So many people on there.

Ooo thank you for the reply. Do you know, was the course very competitive to get onto? Her portfolio she is a little worried about because she hasn't been in college recently and so has had to make a portfolio over the Spring from scratch while working a full time job. Any interview advice about questions etc would be welcome? Generally any advice actually about admissions would be gratefully accepted! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by BD7391
Ooo thank you for the reply. Do you know, was the course very competitive to get onto? Her portfolio she is a little worried about because she hasn't been in college recently and so has had to make a portfolio over the Spring from scratch while working a full time job. Any interview advice about questions etc would be welcome? Generally any advice actually about admissions would be gratefully accepted! :smile:

No problem! to get into no, they always try to get as many people as they can to get on so will be accepted at interview as long as she shows she wants to do it.
I was really nervous at interview becasue it being a group interview and the other people has such different work from me, but all was good in the end and gave me a place right a way so no worries.

ok they love sketchbooks (expeshally if they are full, that impresses them a lot). if she can at least one sketchbook, a portfolio (they wont judge on portfolio much because that what the course is for as experience). Other than that she should keep in mind: Favorite artist, gallery she been to and an artist from there (this is the part that got me DX)

Other than that she will be good! after the interview they will send you a letter and everything is easy to be sorted out by then.

Just wondering but what form of art she dose she want to go into? its funny I went in as a fine artist and came out a illustrator haha. If you know I may be able to tell you about the tutor she will probably have.
Reply 4
Oh that's really great to hear, thank you. Oh okay so it is a group interview is it, so what sort of format does it take? Is it just lots of questions and answers? Do you go through the portfolio with them or do they just take them and look through them on their own? E.g. should she be figuring out how she would "present" her portfolio or will she not have that control anyway? Thank you so much for getting back to me, and congratulations on starting illustration in September! Did you hear from the Art Foundation department when you got in last year on the same day or did it take a week or two to hear?

That's great advice, I will tell her to keep those sorts of thing in mind, I think she will be practising questions over the next day or two. She is a little worried about the fact that she doesn't have lots of different media - she is a sketch artist and has done some watercolours and stuff with pens, but no textiles, sculpture, printing etc.

She at the moment probably plans to go into fine art, but like you is very open to doing something else and can't wait to hopefully start the Art Foundation!

Thank you so much for your help :smile:

Original post by Slflay
No problem! to get into no, they always try to get as many people as they can to get on so will be accepted at interview as long as she shows she wants to do it.
I was really nervous at interview becasue it being a group interview and the other people has such different work from me, but all was good in the end and gave me a place right a way so no worries.

ok they love sketchbooks (expeshally if they are full, that impresses them a lot). if she can at least one sketchbook, a portfolio (they wont judge on portfolio much because that what the course is for as experience). Other than that she should keep in mind: Favorite artist, gallery she been to and an artist from there (this is the part that got me DX)

Other than that she will be good! after the interview they will send you a letter and everything is easy to be sorted out by then.

Just wondering but what form of art she dose she want to go into? its funny I went in as a fine artist and came out a illustrator haha. If you know I may be able to tell you about the tutor she will probably have.
Reply 5
Original post by BD7391
Oh that's really great to hear, thank you. Oh okay so it is a group interview is it, so what sort of format does it take? Is it just lots of questions and answers? Do you go through the portfolio with them or do they just take them and look through them on their own? E.g. should she be figuring out how she would "present" her portfolio or will she not have that control anyway? Thank you so much for getting back to me, and congratulations on starting illustration in September! Did you hear from the Art Foundation department when you got in last year on the same day or did it take a week or two to hear?

That's great advice, I will tell her to keep those sorts of thing in mind, I think she will be practising questions over the next day or two. She is a little worried about the fact that she doesn't have lots of different media - she is a sketch artist and has done some watercolours and stuff with pens, but no textiles, sculpture, printing etc.

She at the moment probably plans to go into fine art, but like you is very open to doing something else and can't wait to hopefully start the Art Foundation!

Thank you so much for your help :smile:

Yes she will be with 2 other people, sitting next to each other and they will go through each persons work one at a time. They will probably also ask you to say something about someone elses work too. Most of the time they will look though the work and may ask a few simple questions, as they do so. I doubt she will have much control in presenting, for my group they flipped through and I quickly tries to explain what each section is.
Thank you! I am staying in Swansea lucky enough. I heard from foundation about three weeks after the interview with the offer.

Alright it is no problem! don't worry people come from all sorts of courses such as plain graphics all digital or pencil. That is what the course is there for to try those things so she has nothing to worry about. She just has to show she has potential.

Thats sounds grate! I knew a lot of people in the fine art department there, a lot of the time its talking and explaining their work. Expressly fineart.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending