The Student Room Group

Realisation after mock exams. Need motivation or something, want to give up.

It hit me how much work I need to do and I feel as if it''s too late. I was hoping for B minimum in summer for maths, chemistry, biology and eng lit. I did terrible in my mock exams and now I feel super insecure because I did kind of study- using almost all free sessions to do homework and learn the theory part of things. I think my mistake was not doing past papers but is that enough to lead to almost an U? I feel like giving up tbh, 2 months and it feels as if I know nothing. So sad and frustrated.
Reply 1
Original post by Cherry82
It hit me how much work I need to do and I feel as if it''s too late. I was hoping for B minimum in summer for maths, chemistry, biology and eng lit. I did terrible in my mock exams and now I feel super insecure because I did kind of study- using loop almost all free sessions to do homework and learn the theory part of things. I think my mistake was not doing past papers but is that enough to lead to almost an U? I feel like giving up tbh, 2 months and it feels as if I know nothing. So sad and frustrated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The key to getting high grades in the summer is repetition of the past papers. While revising the actual theory is helpful, you need to familiarise yourself with the type of questions they ask you i.e. How your knowledge of the theory will be tested. My tutor always recommended going through each past paper at least three times, without peeking at the answers. This is especially true for biology and chemistry. Past papers from other exam boards helps too, especially if you doing Ocr Chemistry, as according to my teachers, they have started to base their questions in a more AQA-y way.
You still have three more months, If you genuinely use all your free time to dedicate yourself into going over stuff on a consistent basis, I'm sure that you will be fine!
And remember, they're only mocks, those grades don't matter!! :smile:
Reply 3
Please don't give up! Keep working hard. The mocks were only setbacks! You still have 3 months which is enough time to revise. DO PAST PAPERS! They really help. Use notes, revision guides, online resources! wish you all the best. God bless!
Reply 4
Original post by khaleesi_
Posted from TSR Mobile

The key to getting high grades in the summer is repetition of the past papers. While revising the actual theory is helpful, you need to familiarise yourself with the type of questions they ask you i.e. How your knowledge of the theory will be tested. My tutor always recommended going through each past paper at least three times, without peeking at the answers. This is especially true for biology and chemistry. Past papers from other exam boards helps too, especially if you doing Ocr Chemistry, as according to my teachers, they have started to base their questions in a more AQA-y way.
You still have three more months, If you genuinely use all your free time to dedicate yourself into going over stuff on a consistent basis, I'm sure that you will be fine!
And remember, they're only mocks, those grades don't matter!! :smile:

Thank you :smile: I know you had already explained why but please could you explain further why using past papers from other exam boards are usesful? I have never understood fully to what advantage it brings but I've noticed that the top student in my school do this. What about OCR Physics? I want to share this with my friend as we're both in the same boat.
Reply 5

Thanks but I know nothing. Is 2/3 months enough to get an A or at least B. I know grades are not everything it's just I have a lot or pressure on me at the moment. Especially from home, my sister did 5 a levels and at as she recieved AAAAA. I'm doing four so there's tension with the expectations I should do well.
Reply 6
Original post by Tiwa
Please don't give up! Keep working hard. The mocks were only setbacks! You still have 3 months which is enough time to revise. DO PAST PAPERS! They really help. Use notes, revision guides, online resources! wish you all the best. God bless!

Thank you, it just gets hard sometimes. God bless you also, everyone has helped me.
Reply 7
Thanks but I know nothing. Is 2/3 months enough to get an A or at least B. I know grades are not everything it's just I have a lot or pressure on me at the moment. Especially from home, my sister did 5 a levels and at as she recieved AAAAA. I'm doing four so there's tension with the expectations I should do well.

I understand completely! There's also a lot of pressure on me, as my parents expect me to get really good grades and get into university. It also doesn't help that my friends parents talk to my parents and they often discuss and compare are results, which leads to questioning as to "Why did she get an 'A' and you got a 'C'?" etc.

But nevertheless, there's still 2/3 months (definitely 3 months for me) left of revision and that's enough to get an 'A'! This is my advice (you don't need to follow it :smile: )

1 Week left of February and 2 weeks of March- complete your notes and make sure you understand everything in your topics. Revise the topics which you find complicated and ask teachers for help etc. just make sure you UNDERSTAND the information.

last 2 weeks of March- do some practice questions in your booklet, if you have some, if you're doing science, do How science works questions, if you're doing maths, do practice questions online- but NOT PAST PAPERS. This is just a time where you practice things and see if you've actually understood the information. If you've got enough time, make queue cards!

Throughout April- Do PAST PAPERS! Make sure to also look at Examiners Report and also make notes from the mark schemes. You might as well play the examiners game and give them the answers they want! Also practice EXAM TECHNIQUES. Do the past papers in timed conditions. Also, attempt to do ALL past papers at least TWICE! You can also add to the queue cards you've made (if you made some)

Throughout May (Time remaining before actual exams)- Gather all the past papers you've done and find the topics you've always gotten wrong at when answering it, and practice that topic. Review ALL your notes and go through your queue cards.

Exam Day- Sleep well the night before. Eat Well in the morning. Jog if you want to get energised. Go through queue cards one last time. Finally, be CONFIDENT. You've worked hard to get where you are and just hope for the best and do well :smile: Make sure to bring water in the exam!
Thank you :smile: I know you had already explained why but please could you explain further why using past papers from other exam boards are usesful? I have never understood fully to what advantage it brings but I've noticed that the top student in my school do this. What about OCR Physics? I want to share this with my friend as we're both in the same boat.

I didn't take Ocr physics, so sadly I can't help you with that but I would assume it would have the same kind of principle as Biology and Chemistry.
The idea behind doing past paper questions from other exam boards is that it consolidates the theory that you learned by asking similar questions that can be found in your own exam board's papers. It also allows you to extend your abilities in applications questions for e.g Aqa has some hard application questions on their chemistry syllabus that was recently found in the OCR papers too,especially the June 2014 ones.
Unfortunately, not doing past papers will catch you out. This time last year, I did two solid days of revision in half term (like, ten hours a day) for Biology and got a D in my mock retake. I know a kid who did loads of maths revision, but ended up with 7/72 marks in his mock.

Don't give up, there's still plenty of time to turn it all around. Start doing past papers, and you'll start to get higher grades.
Reply 10
Thank you all for the support. Honestly, this has helped me out so much. I have two months left though and recently, I have been having anxiety problems because of this, it's unbelievable. At this point I believe I know almost to nothing in all subjects so when thinking about this I feel weak, as if I am done for. Though I will not give up, thanks again.

Quick Reply

Latest