The Student Room Group

A level stress!

Basically I am in yr 12 and picked BIOL CHEM and MATH! its like 2 months till exam month! honestly I don't feel like studying ! I just want to go away and sit somewhere with no a levels! I cant revise I haven't started any revision! I don't know! Im pretty sure I am going to fail! I mean I have no idea what to do! I don't want to go to school on Monday! its pretty dreadfull!
Reply 1
Original post by Pikachu_98
Basically I am in yr 12 and picked BIOL CHEM and MATH! its like 2 months till exam month! honestly I don't feel like studying ! I just want to go away and sit somewhere with no a levels! I cant revise I haven't started any revision! I don't know! Im pretty sure I am going to fail! I mean I have no idea what to do! I don't want to go to school on Monday! its pretty dreadfull!

How are you going to fail with two months left *facepalm* thats soo much time you just need to work slowly and build up the hours and you'll be fine even one month is enough for people even weeks depends on you're ability to revise effectively and how fast you learn generally people start slow revision during Feb then intense revision during April it varies from person to person some people need a bit more some people way less but you'll be fine.

Saw your post and it worried me since I don't like seeing people stressed. Here is my pep talk (you are free to ignore my advice) as a fellow A Level student studying Eng Lit, Hist and RS. Firstly, close your eyes and breathe. A deep breathe in and out, very slowly. Roll your shoulders back and breathe in and out again. Now open your eyes. It might seem like you don't know anything and it is easier to give up but "challenges are what makes life interesting and overcoming those challenges are what makes like meaningful" (Anon). A Levels are not meant to be easy and that is scary. Monday is scary and the thought of work and the future is even more terrifying.

My advice is to accept this scary challenge and tackle it head on. Take your subjects, highlight areas you struggle on (even if it is every topic!) and start reading through notes, making little tests as you go along. Asking your teachers for help might work. Break the subjects down into little pieces rather than being worried about the whole subject. There is a great tool called Memrise (type into google) that is really helpful in helping you memorise stuff. You can make your own course and start learning and it is so simple. I use it and it will help me memorise a little bit each day. Mindmaps are also super helpful. Maybe form a study group. The key with revision is that whatever you do, be proactive. It is normal to be scared but get your stress out through tackling the problem.

Now work will always be stressful but try and have some fun. If you enjoy sports, then try and do as much as you can because it will give you lots of positive endorphins. If you have a favourite TV, don't feel guilty about watching it. Relax, listen to music, see friends. Talk to friends about your fears about A Levels, I'm sure they are in the same boat and can make you feel better. Don't just stop everything and curl up in a ball. Face the fear and be brave. You will be okay. I know that I am just a stranger but I want you to know that you will get through this as long as you take the courage to face your A Levels. You can do this!

Sorry for the ramble but please don't stress. Focus on the positive thinking and you will be okay. I promise. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by lavidastudent
Saw your post and it worried me since I don't like seeing people stressed. Here is my pep talk (you are free to ignore my advice) as a fellow A Level student studying Eng Lit, Hist and RS. Firstly, close your eyes and breathe. A deep breathe in and out, very slowly. Roll your shoulders back and breathe in and out again. Now open your eyes. It might seem like you don't know anything and it is easier to give up but "challenges are what makes life interesting and overcoming those challenges are what makes like meaningful" (Anon). A Levels are not meant to be easy and that is scary. Monday is scary and the thought of work and the future is even more terrifying.

My advice is to accept this scary challenge and tackle it head on. Take your subjects, highlight areas you struggle on (even if it is every topic!) and start reading through notes, making little tests as you go along. Asking your teachers for help might work. Break the subjects down into little pieces rather than being worried about the whole subject. There is a great tool called Memrise (type into google) that is really helpful in helping you memorise stuff. You can make your own course and start learning and it is so simple. I use it and it will help me memorise a little bit each day. Mindmaps are also super helpful. Maybe form a study group. The key with revision is that whatever you do, be proactive. It is normal to be scared but get your stress out through tackling the problem.

Now work will always be stressful but try and have some fun. If you enjoy sports, then try and do as much as you can because it will give you lots of positive endorphins. If you have a favourite TV, don't feel guilty about watching it. Relax, listen to music, see friends. Talk to friends about your fears about A Levels, I'm sure they are in the same boat and can make you feel better. Don't just stop everything and curl up in a ball. Face the fear and be brave. You will be okay. I know that I am just a stranger but I want you to know that you will get through this as long as you take the courage to face your A Levels. You can do this!

Sorry for the ramble but please don't stress. Focus on the positive thinking and you will be okay. I promise. :smile:

Exactly this also the earlier you start the less stressed you are later on because you've already covered everything so there's no last minute cramming or stressing.
Do you know how long 2 months is...For my AS exams I only started revising in Easter holidays, that's like less than a month before and I got AAAB. You have plenty of time.
Ok. I do those same subjects as you aswell.

I know where you're coming from,
but Biology has ALOT of content so I would start being realistic. If you want an A grade, revision should really start from now.

In terms of Maths, maybe not so much revision required, but more practise than anything. The same with Chemistry.
Don't waste your time so that you'll look back at this in a few years time and wonder why you didn't utilise your time properly, the more revision the better.

2 months however is a long time to buckle down and do some proper work. So don't stress
(edited 9 years ago)
Mate... I'm taking 2 years of Mathematics in 3 months revision. AND Economics AND geography. AND I have to get an A in all of them.

Suck it up. Work hard for your dreams.
Original post by Usmani770
Mate... I'm taking 2 years of Mathematics in 3 months revision. AND Economics AND geography. AND I have to get an A in all of them.

Suck it up. Work hard for your dreams.

"Be thw master of your fate, not the slave of your problems".... I did two A levels in a year and got A* and an A can be easily done ...sp muxh time actually

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by lavidastudent

hey I wouldn't quite call this a ramble! I mean this is a great advise! thank you for actually taking some time and typing all this! seriously! at the end of day I really needed this!
thanks!:smile:
Reply 9
Original post by tcameron

but Biology has ALOT of content so I would start being realistic. If you want an A grade, revision should really start from now.

In terms of Maths, maybe not so much revision required, but more practise than anything. The same with Chemistry.
Don't waste your time so that you'll look back at this in a few years time and wonder why you didn't utilise your time properly, the more revision the better.

2 months however is a long time to buckle down and do some proper work. So don't stress

hey! I know biology is more about content so Is chemistry I reckon! but you see biology has really stupid mark scheme I mean in question they either want you to be logical or scientific! it annoying! Maths I got grasp off! its just past papers! that all I do!

Have you finished the whole of as biology at school cuz I'm stressed out that I won't be able to finish module 2 and 3 of unit 2. :frown: and how are u revising bio
Starting is often the worst part - at first it feels like you're trying to mine to the centre of the earth with a dull pick axe. But knuckle down for a few days and you'll be amazed at how much progress you've suddenly made, and that should fuel you for the rest. Once you're in a routine, revision isn't so awful!
hey! I know biology is more about content so Is chemistry I reckon! but you see biology has really stupid mark scheme I mean in question they either want you to be logical or scientific! it annoying! Maths I got grasp off! its just past papers! that all I do!

Well despite the annoyingness of mark schemes, you still have to learn to follow it as you will do an exam based on it...
Original post by coolgamer
Have you finished the whole of as biology at school cuz I'm stressed out that I won't be able to finish module 2 and 3 of unit 2. :frown: and how are u revising bio

Nope I haven't finished either. However, since unit 1 is quite short, my teacher for that will be teaching module 3 alongside my other teacher so I think I will finish.

I revise mainly from reading notes and trying exam q's.
Nope I haven't finished either. However, since unit 1 is quite short, my teacher for that will be teaching module 3 alongside my other teacher so I think I will finish.

I revise mainly from reading notes and trying exam q's.

I might just start making notes and learning module 3 on weekends so you have finished unit 1
same bro:afraid:

Quick Reply

Latest