The Student Room Group

Example of Homework For A Week?

I am taking English Literature, Psychology, Economics and (still undecided and only for AS) Music. If you take any of these subjects, I was wondering how much homework and what type of homework you get per week?

Everyone says the workload increases massively from GCSE to A Level... that's 11 subjects down to 4 for me, do you not get tired of constantly focusing on these four subjects?
Reply 1
Original post by abcdeffy
I am taking English Literature, Psychology, Economics and (still undecided and only for AS) Music. If you take any of these subjects, I was wondering how much homework and what type of homework you get per week?

Everyone says the workload increases massively from GCSE to A Level... that's 11 subjects down to 4 for me, do you not get tired of constantly focusing on these four subjects?

I do vastly different subjects so I can't answer the first question. But I absolutely LOVE having 10hrs of maths a week, it's fantastic. And physics and computing were much more interesting than at GCSE (usually), so no I've never thought I'd love to go back to GCSE even though A levels are much harder. As long as you genuinely do enjoy your subjects, you'll love it.
I don't take any of your subjects, but last school week I got set about two/three hours of Maths homework, an essay in Media, and about ninety minutes worth of Biology work. That's probably about average for me.

If you enjoy your subjects, it won't get tiring. You will only actually study your subjects for about 8-10 hours a fortnight in terms of lesson time, so there's a lot of flexibility in terms of how much time you devote to each subject over time. For instance, I'm currently spending a lot of free time on my media coursework, but before that I was almost solidly devoted to maths.
Like the other posters, I don't do any of your subjects. In my case, I receive a lot of homework. I study biology, chemistry, maths and french. Unlike the poster above me, I have a lot of contact time (anything from 35mins-2hours per subject per day), very few study periods (3 x 35mins) and I get a lot of homework. My sixth form recommends an hour per subject per day of homework, which is four hours a night. Despite this, I don't find myself getting bored of any of my subjects. If you do, you've probably not made the right choices.

Anyway, my point is it will entirely depend on your sixth form on how intense your workload is. It might be worth asking current students at the college or sixth form you want to go to how they find it. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest