The Student Room Group

Eng Lit Poetry AS exam

Hi, I'm studying AQA English Literature Path B WW1 Literature, and I'm getting really stressed over the poetry question in the exam... I'm fine with the wider reading context question, but was wondering if anyone had any tips for the poetry question? I'm doing the Jon Stallworthy book :smile:
Reply 1
Get to know the poems in the anthology, annotate copies at home/in class and then try and remember them for the exam. It isn't as bad as you might think, once you see the poem in the exam you remember lots about certain words and the effect it has on the reader. Make use of the fact that you have the whole anthology, bring in bits of other poems but only if they are really relevant and enhance your answer. This could be something like 'the rhyme scheme in this poem is.... which is unusual as the poet usually adopts the.... rhyme scheme, shown in his earlier poem....'
and don't forget to talk about form, structure and language (you could also talk about tone before the conclusion if you have time). :-)
Original post by lucy_123
Hi, I'm studying AQA English Literature Path B WW1 Literature, and I'm getting really stressed over the poetry question in the exam... I'm fine with the wider reading context question, but was wondering if anyone had any tips for the poetry question? I'm doing the Jon Stallworthy book :smile:

We linked the poems by themes as it was easier to remember certain/general messages about it. So women and the homefront, then we had nature vs. man and etc. Best way I'd do it would be by that way!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending