The Student Room Group

Spanish citizen in america illegally,can I pay EU fees for UK Uni

Hello,

Need some advice on this situation please, I am a Spanish Citizen currently in USA illegally (came to this country when I was 8 years old with family so situation is out of my control), all of my school qualifications are from US schools - i have offers from British universities but i am unsure if i can pay EU fees, i have checked uk CISA website but i am still unclear on the answer as technically on paper i am still living in Spain where my home is.

Thank you for help.
Reply 1
Original post by nevets123
Hello,

Need some advice on this situation please, I am a Spanish Citizen currently in USA illegally (came to this country when I was 8 years old with family so situation is out of my control), all of my school qualifications are from US schools - i have offers from British universities but i am unsure if i can pay EU fees, i have checked uk CISA website but i am still unclear on the answer as technically on paper i am still living in Spain where my home is.

Thank you for help.

Your fee status is based on your recent actual place of residence, whether illegal or otherwise.

If you can 'prove' that you've lived in Spain for three full years before your course starts, then you can pay EU fees and get a Tuition Fee Loan for studying a degree in the UK (but no Maintenance Loan/Grant). As a US resident (even an illegal one), you're an International student, required to pay International fees and with no entitlement to any Student Finance in the UK.

I'm not sure how you'd provide proof of Spanish residence. Universities and Student Finance will be looking at things like school records and qualifications from Spain, proof of a permanent address in Spain, registration with a doctor/dentist in Spain, if you're over 18 that you've been working and paying tax or claiming benefits in Spain etc.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Klix88
Your fee status is based on your recent actual place of residence, whether illegal or otherwise.

If you can 'prove' that you've lived in Spain for three full years before your course starts, then you can pay EU fees and get a Tuition Fee Loan for studying a degree in the UK (but no Maintenance Loan/Grant). As a US resident (even an illegal one), you're an International student, required to pay International fees and with no entitlement to any Student Finance in the UK.

I'm not sure how you'd provide proof of Spanish residence. Universities and Student Finance will be looking at things like school records and qualifications from Spain, proof of a permanent address in Spain, registration with a doctor/dentist in Spain, if you're over 18 that you've been working and paying tax or claiming benefits in Spain etc.

I understand that, but according to UK case law that was on the UKCISA website I would have to have been ordinarily resident in the US, and I'm not because in order to qualify as ordinarily resident I couldn't have been in breach of immigration laws.

My permanent address is in Spain as we still have our home there and continue to pay our bills. But I'm not ordinarily resident there either, so technically I've been ordinarily resident nowhere which is why I'm so confused.
Reply 3
Original post by nevets123
I understand that, but according to UK case law that was on the UKCISA website I would have to have been ordinarily resident in the US, and I'm not because in order to qualify as ordinarily resident I couldn't have been in breach of immigration laws.

My permanent address is in Spain as we still have our home there and continue to pay our bills. But I'm not ordinarily resident there either, so technically I've been ordinarily resident nowhere which is why I'm so confused.

Either way, you won't qualify for EU-level fees at a UK university, sadly.

The only thing I can think of, is that you need to move back to Spain and build up three years of genuine "ordinary residence".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending