The Student Room Group

Freshers... survived the first term? Finding it surreal?

Its been a long time since i have been on here, so i figured now the first Cambridge term is over (bar a few supervisions), a time to reflect is in order.

Whatever preconceptions we've had have hopefully been either confirmed or rejected... Now, i go to the porters lodge and see that the new candidates are coming up for interviews this Sunday.

Has a year ever gone so fast!

I think my interview last year was on the 12th December. The difference this year, is that on the 12th of December i will be going to watch Cambridge slaughter Oxford in the varsity rugby match instead of waiting nervously on what was a freezing cold day!

So...

1. I hope the new candidates are relatively calm for the next couple of weeks (don't stress, its not the be all and end all)

2. Any thoughts from other freshers?

3. Any finalists sad that their last Michaelmas has just flown by?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ahhh... essay crisis no.8!

(sums up my term, lol)
Sheesh yes! Surreal indeed. This place is in a bubble - impenetrable to the troubles of the real world. Odd to think that a year ago on Sunday I was on my way to Durham on my own for an interview, and 51 weeks ago tomorrow night I was on my way here for the interview.
Yeah I can't believe it was a year ago I had my interview. Thoughts about the first term- aside from the odd panic about getting my essay done on time (tonight, for example), I've had a really great time.
thefish_uk
Sheesh yes! Surreal indeed. This place is in a bubble - impenetrable to the troubles of the real world.

This. I've never felt so amazingly detached from everything outside my immediate life.

I love it though :smile: My courses have been interesting, by and large. I couldn't ask for a nicer bunch of people to spend three years with than the John's Freshers. And I've really enjoyed rowing, since I haven't done team sport for years.

It's been good!
Reply 5
I'll tell you what is even scarier, your first holiday back home, now THAT was weird last year.
apd35
I'll tell you what is even scarier, your first holiday back home, now THAT was weird last year.

I took a weekend home the other week after having spent 7 weeks here and that was damn odd. Especially going up to my room, thinking "what is this place?" and trying to remember how to live at home.
First interviewees came today. Both chem eng through phys natsci. Very surreal to think that it's been a year!
Reply 8
It is extremely odd...however, I have still yet to survive the rest of Michaelmas. Two supervisions, a meeting with my DoS, packing and a pub crawl await. It's been extremely fun, though the bubble/time warp effect is somewhat odd. It's extremely odd to think that it's only been 8 weeks and there really are real world concerns beyond getting a ticket for the next formal and when you're going to do work for the next supervision.
Ditting Suck
I couldn't ask for a nicer bunch of people to spend three years with than the John's Freshers.

Awwwwwwwwwwwww :hugs:

Had my last supervision today, had a chat with DoS who told me to do more work and 'reach my potential'. Has been brilliant fun, hectic at times, so many interesting people and such a beautiful place.

Good luck interviewees!
I can't help but think about the things I haven't done this term. Sometimes the work has been so overwhelming I've been locked away for days on end, stone cold sober, working into the wee small hours. Even on Cindies Tuesdays of all nights!

I'm not one for regrets but I do wish I hadn't spent so much time working - I really need to get a balance (though frankly my work still wasn't all that great in quality).
Reply 11
Kyle_S-C
It is extremely odd...however, I have still yet to survive the rest of Michaelmas. Two supervisions, a meeting with my DoS, packing and a pub crawl await. It's been extremely fun, though the bubble/time warp effect is somewhat odd. It's extremely odd to think that it's only been 8 weeks and there really are real world concerns beyond getting a ticket for the next formal and when you're going to do work for the next supervision.

That's coz you are odd :smile:

:p:

And the answer to when to do supervision work is 1am on the day it's due in, s'never failed me...
I think I've survived my first term intact, I've become a boatie by accident, I've nearly reached my full procrastination potential, and I'm on facebook. However I might have a nervous breakdown this weekend when I try to get all my crap home (note to self: bring less crap next term!)
Reply 13
Robob
And the answer to when to do supervision work is 1am on the day it's due in, s'never failed me...

I take it where you write "never", we're to read "frequently"?
Reply 14
Bingo Jesus
I think I've survived my first term intact, I've become a boatie by accident, I've nearly reached my full procrastination potential, and I'm on facebook. However I might have a nervous breakdown this weekend when I try to get all my crap home (note to self: bring less crap next term!)

Pembroke's full of crap?

Shock horror!!!!

:p:
Reply 15
Kyle_S-C
I take it where you write "never", we're to read "frequently"?

It has never failed me!

Apart from with chemistry, but I didnt actually do any of it that time :proud:
Jim Arnold
I can't help but think about the things I haven't done this term. Sometimes the work has been so overwhelming I've been locked away for days on end, stone cold sober, working into the wee small hours. Even on Cindies Tuesdays of all nights!

I'm not one for regrets but I do wish I hadn't spent so much time working - I really need to get a balance (though frankly my work still wasn't all that great in quality).

Jimmy!

Well, you live right under me, and I haven't heard you having many raving parties... so... lol. But you're a boatie. So you are by default higher up the social scale than me, it seems :mad:
I've also discovered that most people seem to like Cindies, Life and Soul Tree for no good reason, when the only even remotely passable club here is Fez. And I've discovered how much I dislike clubbing compared to spending an evening actually talking to people.
Reply 18
Ditting Suck
I've also discovered that most people seem to like Cindies, Life and Soul Tree for no good reason, when the only even remotely passable club here is Fez. And I've discovered how much I dislike clubbing compared to spending an evening actually talking to people.

All the clubs in cambridge are crap...

But cindies is the best IMO, fez is a dump with sheets for a ceiling...

Clubbing rocks though!
I've just found out who got me into the recovery position last night (and who was taken photos of me!)

Latest

Trending

Trending