The Student Room Group

Life after A Levels? (due to lack of better guidance)

I'm an AS student at a reputable state college (we're ranked in the top 10 in the country, discounting public/grammar schools), studying Maths - with Mechanics, Physics, Biology and Philosophy.

I'm predicted by the college to get an A in maths and B's for the rest (for my AS), but I'm aiming for at least an AAAA. I'm a female hoping to do a Mechanical Engineering degree.

[I'm new to tsr, so I just put all that information there to allow some insight into my background]

I'm the type of person the can achieve, but stress tends to make me moody and miserable. I struggle with change (the transition from my supportive secondary school to a more independent college really took a toll on my emotional well-being, resulting in bad grades during the first four months of college. It got better after the christmas holidays, where I had time to relax and take a breather.)

I enjoy the country side. Moving to a beautiful, GREEN area would make me so happy. I love taking walks when stressed, and love exploring.
But I also love the city. I love the bright lights, and the people, and the opportunities.

My parents said they'll help fund my needs (rent, utilities etc.) where ever I go.

So the question is: should I apply for universities in London or Scotland?

These are two extremes, and my two favourite places in the uk. I've already planned to go to open days in both places, but I just panicked and decided to get advice from random people on the Internet.
I know I could just apply to both places and see where I would get into, but I think it's better to make preferences now, rather than later.

On one hand, London is this glamorous and beautiful place with anything you could ever need. But I feel as if it would be too stressful and fast paced for me. Also, the universities are either really good (therefore difficult for me to get into), or really bad.

Scotland is quiet and has a lot of green space for me to explore. It would be better for my emotional stability.
However, I would feel as if I'm missing out on the job opportunities available in London. There isn't as much people, but the universities are generally good for Mech Eng.

[SORRY FOR THE ESSAY...? I'M NEW] :colondollar:
You get five choices on your UCAS, and you may decide to go to a different city entirely (Bath is good for engineering).
Use the UCAS search tool, find some universities that offer courses that appeal to you, and focus on the location later.

Quick Reply

Latest