The Student Room Group

A-level or access course

Posting in a different forum to see if this would be better

Hello, I am currently keeping my options open at the moment when it comes to what degree I would like to do.

I’m 26 and I have alevels already that I got when I was 18 (A*,B,B). Due to poor health and family circumstances my life has been on hold, and I am now looking at higher education options.

I know due to lack of educational history and work history in the last few years I will have to redo either a-levels or do an access course.

What are the pros and cons of either?

A-Levels used to be more highly regarded ten years ago, but I know access courses and the opinion of them has changed.

Is it better to apply for uni when you have a poor history with a-levels or an access course? What would admissions prefer?
For an adult access courses. They are designed for people of you age group and are done over a year rather than 2. I assume if you were to take A levels they would be studying privately.
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
For an adult access courses. They are designed for people of you age group and are done over a year rather than 2. I assume if you were to take A levels they would be studying privately.

Yes studying privately as there doesn’t seem to be any private adult colleges offering a-levels anymore. Some universities say they offer places to access students on a case by case basis. Do you know if my lack of work and education history would go against me here if I pursued an access course route rather than the standard a-level grades?
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by c2024
Yes studying privately as there doesn’t seem to be any private adult colleges offering a-levels anymore. Some universities say they offer places to access students on a case by case basis. Do you know if my lack of work and education history would go against me here if I pursued an access course route rather than the standard a-level grades?

As far as I know most universities wont go against you because your doing an access course but check out each university in case. Lack of work experience can go against you in a very small amount of courses usually in the medical field but that would apply to A levels as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending