The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Creative writing

Hey there,

thanks a lot for reading.

So I applied to a MA in Creative writing in the University of Nottingham. Although I read many positive things about the university i don't know much about the program. Is it a good program? Has anyone attended to this program or heard something positive-negative about it?

I would appreciate this so much.
Reply 1
I was accepted to the Nottingham MA creative writing. I won't be attending as I have received offers from other universities that I would prefer to attend. I would research their tutors and see if you like their work and if you think you could learn from them. With creative writing, it seems the value of the course is less dependent upon the university's reputation and more inline with what personal value you might have for the course.

As for the fiction tutors at the U of Nottingham, I believe there is only one and he has a pretty short list of awards/publications. I don't know anything about their poetry tutors.

Hope this is helpful and good luck!
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Hey there!

This is so helpful for me. Yeah, I'm in fiction so I guess I'll have to research the tutors.

I'm applying for southampton, Nottingham and Exeter. Have you heard anything about those programs?

Hm... If you don't mind me asking, what programs where you accepted in? Which one did you decide to attend?

Thank you so much!
Reply 3
Thomas Legendre (American, Arizona State MFA alumni) leads the fiction workshop at Nottingham. Here's his website (http://thomaslegendre.com/teaching/) which includes an interview he gave with P&W about the MA program. I would read some of his novels and see what you think about him and his style, whether or not it is congruent to your own, whether you think you could learn a lot from him or if you might have major thematically/ideological differences.

I have offers from Manchester, Warwick, Oxford, and Nottingham, and am still waiting to hear from UEA, though at this point I'm pretty sure they aren't going to offer me a spot. I am American, so I think a lot of my acceptances might be due to the fact that I would be paying international tuition. Or maybe not; I don't know anymore. I'm having a really hard time deciding where to go or whether to go at all. A pretty vicious, recursive argument plays through my head all day, and on top of that, my visa situation is tricky, so that's a whole other dimension of decision making I'm trying to figure out.

I've heard good stuff about Exeter though I don't know much about the program. But feel free to let me know where you wind up. And again, good luck!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending