The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I found it pretty difficult, i finished just* as the teacher said put yur pens down! :eek:

My value for k was 19.22!! lol so i guess it wasnt close to g.
My mass was 157g,( a reply to a previous post, finding the period wasnt that hard, you just take a reading for the time for liek 10 osc's, and divide it by 10)

my current for the very final question was 93A :s-smilie: lol so i guees i did something wrong

well hopefully i will make up for it in the written papers coming up, i REALLLLYYY need an A in physics, or else i wont be goign to my first choice uni :frown:

So what else did ppl think about it?
Hoofbeat
it was ok, however i did such a stupid mistake on the capacitors question and i'm sooooooo p*ssed off with myself. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

What did you get for the current in last question? I got 9.1A. For the mass of the block I got 155g (think values in range 140-160g). For k (Q1) I got 10.86.

Anyone else's opinions?

i got k as 9.7 and 148g for the block.
Reply 22
Kabeer
a reply to a previous post, finding the period wasnt that hard, you just take a reading for the time for liek 10 osc's, and divide it by 10

I know that's how to do it - I wasn't trying to time for just one oscillation! My point was that the time period was only 0.3s which is so small that I found it difficult to count them, even though I was doing 30 at a time.

Didn't mention earlier but the fire alarm went off during our practical :mad: luckily I was only doing the theory question as opposed to actually timing anything.
what questions came up. i heard my friends say there was something about timing oscillations and something to do with a probe. what exactly came up.
Reply 24
Supreme One.
what questions came up. i heard my friends say there was something about timing oscillations and something to do with a probe. what exactly came up.

No matter how many times you ask, you're unlikely to get an answer unless you can give a decent reason for why you want them - people aren't going to tell you just so you can have an unfair advantage.
Just looking over peoples answers on this thread and looks like i did alright :smile:
i got the mass of the block as 148g, current of 9.3Amps but i fucked up k and got 0.98 or something :frown: so nowhere near 'g' still should have got at least 60% i think

for the capacitor question i got something like 40 Volts across X and then 444micro F as the capacitance which was huge!

More information i remembered: I got around 0.2ms-1 for the velocity which i think was ok, and 287mm as the width of the tray, the hall probe question was ok i think, although don't know what one looks like exactly! :confused:
Reply 26
Hoofbeat
it was ok, however i did such a stupid mistake on the capacitors question and i'm sooooooo p*ssed off with myself. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

What did you get for the current in last question? I got 9.1A. For the mass of the block I got 155g (think values in range 140-160g). For k (Q1) I got 10.86.

Anyone else's opinions?

I think the block mass will just depend on what block your school gives you and the ranges will be judged after your teacher has taken readings. I got 168g and I don't think there is any reason why i should have an overly high result ie i thought i carried out the experiment okay.
Reply 27
Absolution
Just looking over peoples answers on this thread and looks like i did alright :smile:
i got the mass of the block as 148g, current of 9.3Amps but i fucked up k and got 0.98 or something :frown: so nowhere near 'g' still should have got at least 60% i think

for the capacitor question i got something like 40 Volts across X and then 444micro F as the capacitance which was huge!

More information i remembered: I got around 0.2ms-1 for the velocity which i think was ok, and 287mm as the width of the tray, the hall probe question was ok i think, although don't know what one looks like exactly! :confused:

Blimey, you people want to be on AQA - one planning question and one experiment to do which was a straightforward capacitance one :smile:
Reply 28
elpollodiablouk
Blimey, you people want to be on AQA - one planning question and one experiment to do which was a straightforward capacitance one :smile:

are they the easy peasy board? apparently there is one board for physics which is ridulcously easy. It seems a little unfair...people should get offers based on their boards too, or at least there should be a common standard across all boards!
Reply 29
Supreme One.
like i said before could anyone have the decency to pm me the questions that came up in the exam. thanyou.

Decency? If you have this test, it's cheating. How on earth is that decent.
Reply 30
BossLady
are they the easy peasy board? apparently there is one board for physics which is ridulcously easy. It seems a little unfair...people should get offers based on their boards too, or at least there should be a common standard across all boards!

Judging by what people have said about OCR and Edexcel, yes, that'd be us :biggrin:
Reply 31
I did the prac this morning. I liked it actually. I mucked up the AS one last year so I was quite worried that I'd screw up here too but I think it went well.

I got 9.2A for the current, although initially i got 1.6 mega amps because I used the value of epsilon0 rather than mju0!

I got 168g for the wooden block, and my value of k was 8.28. Thinking about it now I should've done a percentage uncertainty between that and the real value of g to answer whether it could be, instead of writing words.

The capacitor one was weird, and the teachers made us call them to check that we were getting the right readings, because they'd tried the set-up before and it didn't work properly. I think I did OK on that. I can't remember the capacitance I got for X, mainly because I expressed it in Farads rather than microfarads. Oops.

Hopefully I've done OK. I need to have done!
Reply 32
I got some horrific value for my X capacitance...300 something micro farads! But my other results were very similar to most of you lots.
ok, according to all yer answers nd my teachers asnwers my section B and C are perfect.
but section A was a whore!!!!
i lost 2 marks for the circuit, i blew my capacitor up TWICE!!!!
i got 457micro farad for capacitor X though, i took one reading off the voltmeter, it blew up a second time then made up another couple of repeats.
depth of water, i took 3 measurements at diff positions in the tray my avg was 6mm,
i made my k value up to be 8.89ms-2, then worked backwards.
becos i didint have time to do tht experiment, iworked out a percentage difference between k value and g to be 8%. my teacher asid stop experiments and i kept going lol.
width of tray as 28.6cm, i made up the time period values, but im sure ILL GET AT LEAST ONE MARK FOR TAKIN REPEATS!!!
and the only question i left cos i didnt have time was the assumption on the charge.
if worst goes to worst though a C, maybe a B.
I NEED AN A in physics!!!

9.25 A for current in last part, to increase the flux density u needed to increase the current through the circuit thus increasing voltage.

everyones graph was B AGST 1/R
good good! lol
erm mass of block was 155g?
percentage uncertainty in t squared was about 0.28% (doubling .14%)
did everyone use that grid and put repeats in for y1 y2 yb.
i dont know wot the set sq was for! lol
Reply 34
mathematician
i blew my capacitor up TWICE!!!!

9.25 A for current in last part, to increase the flux density u needed to increase the current through the circuit thus increasing voltage.

How did you blow up the capacitor twice?? You're meant to get the supervisors to check the circuit before you start so this doesn't happen!

I said putting lots of parallel wires instead of the single wire would increase flux density as we did this experiment but with about 10 wires instead of 1.

I used the grid to take the initial ruler reading, the final reading and the difference (depression). I think the set square was to make sure the measuring ruler was vertical.
Reply 35
Bloomin heck! lol i forgot to use the set square! it was transparent against the table i i forgot about it :rolleyes:

AARRGhh im still screwing about my current was 93A must have multiplied by the wrong power of ten :frown:

Pls pls edexcel mark us up!!! :biggrin:
mathematician
ok, according to all yer answers nd my teachers asnwers my section B and C are perfect.
but section A was a whore!!!!
i lost 2 marks for the circuit, i blew my capacitor up TWICE!!!!
i got 457micro farad for capacitor X though, i took one reading off the voltmeter, it blew up a second time then made up another couple of repeats.
depth of water, i took 3 measurements at diff positions in the tray my avg was 6mm,
i made my k value up to be 8.89ms-2, then worked backwards.
becos i didint have time to do tht experiment, iworked out a percentage difference between k value and g to be 8%. my teacher asid stop experiments and i kept going lol.
width of tray as 28.6cm, i made up the time period values, but im sure ILL GET AT LEAST ONE MARK FOR TAKIN REPEATS!!!
and the only question i left cos i didnt have time was the assumption on the charge.
if worst goes to worst though a C, maybe a B.
I NEED AN A in physics!!!

everyones graph was B AGST 1/R
good good! lol
erm mass of block was 155g?
percentage uncertainty in t squared was about 0.28% (doubling .14%)

I Dont know if you guys agreed on this on me or not
but the real value for the capacitor was about 500 micro farad...
how did i know?remember the paper covering the capacitor???mine was kinda loose and it slipped out...the real value of the capacitance was 500 micro farad as stated by the manufacturer ...ekkee sorry i didnt cheat on purpose.......but oh well...theres always a chance to say thats its invalid in the next question...

and yeah...the mass of the wooden block should be around 150g
how did i know??
i simply oscillated it although i wasnt asked to and i got the value of almost the same value as the given answer...thus the wooden block must be at about 150 gram...
maybe between 140g to 160g should be the accepted answer..
and yes...once i again...i cheated without knowing it ekkeke...

what was the set square used for???basically it was to ensure that the meter rule was perfectly horizontal and the values of the oscillations could be read properly..this is to reduce random errors..

and yeah,there was one question which i couldnt do but i still did it..
and it was the final question..
how did you get I...can someone explain..i got a huge value !
and also...what was the range which i was supposed to use in my ammeter reading...i didnt know what to write..

how to increase B??
increase current,increase coils (like solenoid)
and there was one which i theoretically made up
since R = pl / A where A represents the cross sectional area of the wire...
the increase of the diameter would reduce its resistance and allow more current to flow through...thus to increase B,i actually increased the wire`s diameter

also,when measuring depth of the water,pls bear in mind to WIPE any water left on the set square before continuing by using the paper towel !!

My value for k was about 9.1 something....cant remember...and it gave me an uncertainty at about 8% which validated the relationship..

but what the heck...i think it was a very easy paper when compared to the other past papers....
yer pretty sure they will, tht was the hardest one ive seen.
its all good though tht practical was only worth 7%
so just increase your targets for the phy 5 exam and it all good.
im aiming to get A for phy 1,2,3,4 and B in phy 5,and either an A or a B for phy 6.
MalaysianDude
I Dont know if you guys agreed on this on me or not
but the real value for the capacitor was about 500 micro farad...
how did i know?remember the paper covering the capacitor???mine was kinda loose and it slipped out...the real value of the capacitance was 500 micro farad as stated by the manufacturer ...ekkee sorry i didnt cheat on purpose.......but oh well...theres always a chance to say thats its invalid in the next question...

and yeah...the mass of the wooden block should be around 150g
how did i know??
i simply oscillated it although i wasnt asked to and i got the value of almost the same value as the given answer...thus the wooden block must be at about 150 gram...
maybe between 140g to 160g should be the accepted answer..
and yes...once i again...i cheated without knowing it ekkeke...

what was the set square used for???basically it was to ensure that the meter rule was perfectly horizontal and the values of the oscillations could be read properly..this is to reduce random errors..

and yeah,there was one question which i couldnt do but i still did it..
and it was the final question..
how did you get I...can someone explain..i got a huge value !
and also...what was the range which i was supposed to use in my ammeter reading...i didnt know what to write..

how to increase B??
increase current,increase coils (like solenoid)
and there was one which i theoretically made up
since R = pl / A where A represents the cross sectional area of the wire...
the increase of the diameter would reduce its resistance and allow more current to flow through...thus to increase B,i actually increased the wire`s diameter

also,when measuring depth of the water,pls bear in mind to WIPE any water left on the set square before continuing by using the paper towel !!

My value for k was about 9.1 something....cant remember...and it gave me an uncertainty at about 8% which validated the relationship..

but what the heck...i think it was a very easy paper when compared to the other past papers....

so u think u did well, kool kool
wot grade and modules marks do u have
mathematician
so u think u did well, kool kool
wot grade and modules marks do u have

I got strong A`s for for units 1,2 and 4 so far (80+/90)
taking 3 ,5 and 6 this term cause i kinda screwed up unit 3 last term argh..

Latest

Trending

Trending