The Student Room Group

Labour voters: society seems "fair" to me, what you moaning about?

Scroll to see replies

Squeeze the rich until the pips squeak. Yes. Of course. But spend it well and don't tank the economy again.

Two words that sum up Labour: Liars and incompetent. Four words to make you scared to close your eyes: Mandy, Harperson, Balls & Cooper.

All current political parties are bad, but Labour are mad and bad.

Res Non Doms rules have a logical and reasonable purpose, but like all these things the rules are twisted and abused by 'clever lawyers' which is legalised tax evasion and so yes, for the first time in my life I agree with Wallace, hit the tax evaders hard, but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. And spank the tax lawyers too!
Original post by billydisco
and what are these problems?

If I need to tell you that then you've been living under a rock for the past 10 years. While I admire your efforts in trying to educate yourself in this thread I suggest also keeping up to date on current events from reputable media sources.
the tories are trying to dismantle all the things you just mentioned.
also only someone relatively privaledged would say that- things are very far from fair
Reply 43
Original post by Bornblue
I DON'T LIVE IN THE USA!!!
These people LIVE in the UK. I live in the UK, I pay tax in the UK. Non-doms live in the UK but don't pay tax either here or their home country.
That's the difference. If I were to make money in the USA, I would pay tax on it here. People with non-dom status don't pay tax either there or here.

If you live here, you pay tax here. Same rules for everyone.
As always though you start nitpicking at arguments to an unbelievable level. You're just a contrarian. Whatever opinion someone takes, you just have to take the opposite.

So nobody in the UK has to pay the IRS tax on their UK earnings then?
Reply 44
Original post by Sephiroth
If I need to tell you that then you've been living under a rock for the past 10 years. While I admire your efforts in trying to educate yourself in this thread I suggest also keeping up to date on current events from reputable media sources.

Again, what are these problems?
(Original post by Bornblue)
I DON'T LIVE IN THE USA!!!
These people LIVE in the UK. I live in the UK, I pay tax in the UK. Non-doms live in the UK but don't pay tax either here or their home country.
That's the difference. If I were to make money in the USA, I would pay tax on it here. People with non-dom status don't pay tax either there or here.

Errr, wrong about US citizens, Green Card holders etc. Ever heard of FACTA?

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Corporations/Foreign-Account-Tax-Compliance-Act-FATCA

Any link to the US and the IRS wants their slice! AND WILL GET IT.
If a Japanese man comes to work here for 3 years running a car plant, should we tax his investment portfolio at home? How about the rent from his home in Yokohama that he rents out whilst he's gone?

OK, so Mr Saito (Smith) moves his investments to Switzerland for the duration? In my book he's defrauding the Japanese taxpayers not ours.

Maybe the Japanese government won't tax him as he is non-resident - why is that our problem?

The problem is not Mr Saito but the legions of super-wealthy permanent residents swanning around Mayfair and Kensington who pretend they're going home some day, but actually are enjoying our freedoms and infrastructure without paying their share. NAIL THEM! NAIL 'EM UP I SAY!!!
It is not fair that millionaires like Cameron are exempt from having a mansion tax while we pay tax for sanitary (menstruation specifically) products. It is not fair that I will have to pay £9k to the government for a degree in Law that I'll probably won't use. It is not fair that hard working people (inc. illegal immigrants) are exploited by employers etc etc...
Original post by billydisco
All I ever hear from Labour and their voters is "we want a fairer society" whinge whinge whinge.

-Education is free
-Healthcare is free
-Benefits are generous (to put it mildly)

How on earth is this not "fair"?

It sounds like you're actually moaning about some people earn more money. The majority of these people earnt their money through hard work and simply took the opportunities you didn't.

So, where's this "unfairness"?

NB: Please dont bother banging on about private-educated people, people who inherited, people who got an internship through their Dad etc because this is really scraping 3-5% of the population. You've got an even playing field with ~95% of the population.

Actually private education and discussing people who were born into wealthy families is significant here and needs to be considered... It is incredibly hard to ever get rich if you come from poverty just as it is incredibly easy to stay rich or just get richer if you come from wealth.

I'm not a Labour supporter but I think social mobility is the issue here... Claiming that poor people didn't work hard at school is a very ignorant thing to say. Lots of children who come from impoverished backgrounds can't concentrate at school because there is no heat/electric/place to study/food at home. Lots of children have to help out with siblings or even drop out of school and get a job so that the family can afford their rent. Rent prices are WAY too high in proportion to salaries and there are very few affordable homes available because more profit is available from luxury homes than affordable ones. There is a housing crisis which will affect pretty much all of our generation except the ones who are fortunate enough to have parental help.

If you were fortunate enough to be privately educated then you are likely to get a better job than somebody else who wasn't privately educated. I agree its a small percentage of the population but that small percentage happen to account for the majority of the people in charge and THAT isn't fair and makes for a ridiculous political system where those in charge are completely out of touch with the reality for most of us.

Things are better than they used to be and this country is better than others in terms of equality but we are still a very long way off!
Education isn't entirely free. Tuition fees to go to university are insanely expensive and many graduates can't even get jobs.
Reply 50
Original post by okuyombenya
It is not fair that millionaires like Cameron are exempt from having a mansion tax while we pay tax for sanitary (menstruation specifically) products. It is not fair that I will have to pay £9k to the government for a degree in Law that I'll probably won't use. It is not fair that hard working people (inc. illegal immigrants) are exploited by employers etc etc...

wtf?!?!

How is it fair that hard working people contributes the other £4k/year for a degree you won't use? :s-smilie:
Original post by okuyombenya

I agree. Immigrants that aren't properly qualified shouldn't be exploited for cheap labour. It's not fair on them and it's not fair on young people who are finding it so hard to get jobs.
Original post by Shashasheesh
Rent prices are WAY too high in proportion to salaries and there are very few affordable homes available because more profit is available from luxury homes than affordable ones. There is a housing crisis which will affect pretty much all of our generation except the ones who are fortunate enough to have parental help.

I agree with a lot of what you say but explain again why rents are too high?

You think it's because there is not enough affordable housing?

Do you think houses are being knocked down? The number of properties in the UK housing stock has been steadily rising over the last 70 years and that includes lower value properties (eg 4 story Victorian houses turned into flats).

So if supply is rising and prices are rising then unless my rudimentary understanding of economics is mistaken, there is too much demand.

So, why is there too much demand? Population rising too fast? People too wealthy for the housing market equilibrium?

Don't blame the builders. Blame the bleeding Labour for stamping the foot on the immigration accelerator pedal and the dumb free movement EU rules.

I don't wanna get all UKIPPY here but it clearly is not a supply problem if supply has been rising, which it has. DISCUSS.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tarte Tatin
Education isn't entirely free. Tuition fees to go to university are insanely expensive and many graduates can't even get jobs.

If they don't get jobs they don't have to pay the debt back... Errr...
Reply 54

If they don't get jobs they don't pay the fees...

So you've kinda proven yourself wrong...
Original post by Gerald DGrilla
If they don't get jobs they don't have to pay the debt back... Errr...

Are you an idiot? No one's going to hand out loans forever and not expect them to be paid off. They will have to be paid off eventually.
Are you an idiot? No one's going to hand out loans forever and not expect them to be paid off. They will have to be paid off eventually.

Read the rules.

http://www.slc.co.uk/services/loan-repayment/loan-cancellation.aspx

Apology pls.
Reply 58
Original post by Gerald DGrilla
I agree with a lot of what you say but explain again why rents are too high?

You think it's because there is not enough affordable housing?

Do you think houses are being knocked down? The number of properties in the UK housing stock has been steadily rising over the last 70 years and that includes lower value properties (eg 4 story Victorian houses turned into flats).

So if supply is rising and prices are rising then unless my rudimentary understanding of economics is mistaken, there is too much demand.

So, why is there too much demand? Population rising too fast? People too wealthy for the housing market equilibrium?

Don't blame the builders. Blame the bleeding Labour for stamping the foot on the immigration accelerator pedal and the dumb free movement EU rules.

I don't wanna get all UKIPPY here but it clearly is not a supply problem if supply has been rising, which it has. DISCUSS.

Demand isn't just immigration though, the rise of working women and the fall in two parent families has meant more people are setting up house by themselves. People are living longer too.
Reply 59

Not had much to do with student finance have you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending