The Student Room Group

oxford v birmingham

Hi, sry if this is the wrong thread to put this in.

basically, I have an a*aa offer from oxford and Birmingham and I wasn't sure which one to put as firm and which to reject.

every uni student I talk to says their uni is the best 😂 so getting actual advice is hard. My main concerns are: Pure textbook learning in oxford for 3 years, no patient contact in oxford, how much of a boost an oxford degree actually gives to your career and finally, oxford or birmingham being less fun (lack of nightlife near either uni):confused:

what would you choose?
I'd just choose Oxford without thinking about it, tbh. :p:

Does Birmingham have much patient contact in the first couple of years? I'm not sure, but a lot of medical schools (not just Oxbridge!) don't have much patient contact in the preclinical years.

Dunno about Birmingham nightlife, but Oxford will have enough going on due to the collegiate system. You'll have bops, formal halls etc, and living with people in college in first year should help you to know a lot of different people.
Reply 2
Birmingham has a decent nightlife, majority on Broad St.

Don't know much about the courses at those uni's but would go for Oxford for the name.
Reply 3
Less immigration in Oxford if that concerns you?
Reply 4
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I'd just choose Oxford without thinking about it, tbh. :p:

Does Birmingham have much patient contact in the first couple of years? I'm not sure, but a lot of medical schools (not just Oxbridge!) don't have much patient contact in the preclinical years.

Dunno about Birmingham nightlife, but Oxford will have enough going on due to the collegiate system. You'll have bops, formal halls etc, and living with people in college in first year should help you to know a lot of different people.

Thanks for your reply! Yeah birmingham does have quite a bit of patient exposure from what I've seen. My initial reaction was to choose oxford also, but I'm still not convinced I've thought of everything that could make one appeal to me over the other :s
Like everyone else I would probably choose Oxford. Worst comes to worse you can still transfer out to London if you dislike Oxford after 3 years? The workload at Oxford is probably going to be higher and there probably will be less patient contact in the first 3 years though if that bothers you.
Original post by WillPeas
Thanks for your reply! Yeah birmingham does have quite a bit of patient exposure from what I've seen. My initial reaction was to choose oxford also, but I'm still not convinced I've thought of everything that could make one appeal to me over the other :s

"In each year, you will spend ten days in the community with GPs and patients, linking biological and behavioural theoretical learning to clinical situations with real patients." http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/med/medicine.aspx#CourseDetailsTab

You have an interesting definition of 'quite a bit', but if that's what you want :dontknow:
(edited 9 years ago)
My only comment is that I did my first degree (not medicine) at Oxford and I had the absolute best time of my life. If I had the chance I would definitely do it again, especially if you enjoy the academic side of medicine. Yes it'll be hard work but it'll also be great fun and the opportunities there are great- you can get involved in anything you want to with very little trouble, the city is a lovely place to live, and the people are fab. Which college is it, out of interest?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oxford is this even a question?
Reply 9
Oxford. It's a unique experience. Collegiate system + the people. Some are put off Oxbridge thinking its full of toffs. But, also think of how many smart people you'll also have the opportunity to meet. Some of whom will inevitably end up excelling in their fields.
Go wherever you think you'll be happiest and will perform and learn the best. The patient contact thing Birmingham states doesn't seem to be much of an advantage really in the grand scheme of things. It doesn't matter where you get your degree in medicine anyway, a medical degree is a medical degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending