The Student Room Group

A2 MATHS - Should I take it?

I am studying As maths with mechanics.
I have a few ideas about potential uni courses, most of these require maths but with a few of them I can get away with Physics instead.

I was planning to drop Maths as I believe it is my weakest subject, however due to the courses I am considering, I would like to hear some of your opinions on the difficulty/course content of A2 maths? :smile:

Any help would be much appreciated
Reply 1
Original post by CharlieeB
I have a few ideas about potential uni courses, most of these require maths but with a few of them I can get away with Physics instead.

I was planning to drop Maths as I believe it is my weakest subject, however due to the courses I am considering, I would like to hear some of your opinions on the difficulty/course content of A2 maths? :smile:

I've found the A2 concepts slightly more difficult than AS - that's to be expected in any subject though. They take longer to understand and learn, but once you have, I don't think the exam questions are too hard.

Overall, I've enjoyed A2 a lot more than AS. That's partially because it was a little more challenging, but also because the actual topics are more interesting. So I would recommend it, but then I have quite a bias! :tongue:

Though, if you are considering uni subjects that have maths components, I think you'd be much better off with the A level. It means you can learn the concepts now, rather than giving yourself extra work later on.
Reply 2

What do you mean by "get away with Physics instead"? If you're thinking of doing a course with a high level of maths content, then carrying on with maths will certainly give you an advantage and stop you going rusty with your maths skills.

If you're applying for a general course with no specific subject requirements, then it's your choice really.
Reply 3
Original post by davros
What do you mean by "get away with Physics instead"? If you're thinking of doing a course with a high level of maths content, then carrying on with maths will certainly give you an advantage and stop you going rusty with your maths skills.

If you're applying for a general course with no specific subject requirements, then it's your choice really.

I mean subjects like chemistry or chemical engineering, and a few other engineering degrees. They accept either 2 sciences or maths and a science, that's what I mean.

I am deciding to either drop physics or maths, and continue with chemistry.
Reply 4
Original post by Actaeon
I've found the A2 concepts slightly more difficult than AS - that's to be expected in any subject though. They take longer to understand and learn, but once you have, I don't think the exam questions are too hard.

Overall, I've enjoyed A2 a lot more than AS. That's partially because it was a little more challenging, but also because the actual topics are more interesting. So I would recommend it, but then I have quite a bias! :tongue:

Though, if you are considering uni subjects that have maths components, I think you'd be much better off with the A level. It means you can learn the concepts now, rather than giving yourself extra work later on.

I want to study either a pure science or type of engineering degree.
If I choose engineering then yes I will probably continue with maths, however most of the pure science degrees and some forms of engineering will accept 2 sciences. So it's not really an issue because I have no specific degree preference within these options :tongue:

Is there anything you disliked about A2 maths? Do you take mechanics as well?
Reply 5
I want to study either a pure science or type of engineering degree.
If I choose engineering then yes I will probably continue with maths, however most of the pure science degrees and some forms of engineering will accept 2 sciences. So it's not really an issue because I have no specific degree preference within these options :tongue:

Is there anything you disliked about A2 maths? Do you take mechanics as well?

Well, I've found the calculus topic tough, and there are a lot of them at A2 in the pure modules! Apart from that, I generally prefer A2 to AS.

Because I'm doing Further Maths as well, I'm doing three Mechanics modules - if you have the kind of mind that's good at physics, they're no trouble. There isn't too much to learn, and half of the questions boil down to being able to resolve forces in various situations. Personally, Mechanics is a lot easier for me than stats or pure. :smile:
Reply 6
A2 a lot harder particularly the C4
drop chemistry if you enjoy life

Quick Reply

Latest