The Student Room Group

Nottingham or Warwick Law?

Based on prestiege/grad prospects
also Nottingham's offer is lower and probably more attainable

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 105263

Based on prestige and career prospects they are equal for Law. For UK rep Warwick has the advantage, and probably also for international rep. Nottingham has the more attractive campus (much more attractive), and they give you the option to spend a year studying in China and Malaysia where they have additional campuses.

What offers did they give?
Reply 2
Original post by studyworm
Based on prestige and career prospects they are equal for Law. For UK rep Warwick has the advantage, and probably also for international rep. Nottingham has the more attractive campus (much more attractive), and they give you the option to spend a year studying in China and Malaysia where they have additional campuses.

What offers did they give?

Notts AAB (I'm not sure how generous this is - the typical offer is A*AA) and Warwick AAA. My main problem is grade leniency. I feel comforted with Nottingham's offer, but if Universities generally tend to admit students with one grade lower I'd be interested in hearing about it. It's a shame theres no one in this thread who can advise me on it. Oh well.
Original post by 105263

Warwick
Original post by 105263
Notts AAB (I'm not sure how generous this is - the typical offer is A*AA) and Warwick AAA. My main problem is grade leniency. I feel comforted with Nottingham's offer, but if Universities generally tend to admit students with one grade lower I'd be interested in hearing about it. It's a shame theres no one in this thread who can advise me on it. Oh well.

I am surprised they offered just AAB, I was expecting AAA. Do they still ask for the LNAT test?
Reply 5
Original post by TheTorysWin2015
Warwick

Why?
Reply 6
I am surprised they offered just AAB, I was expecting AAA. Do they still ask for the LNAT test?

Yep.
Original post by 105263
Why?

Overall better uni and more prestigous with MC firms.
Reply 8
Overall, both are equally respected for Law. You should choose based on what you like more, in terms of location, structure and personal interests at whole.
Original post by 105263
Why?

That is not actually true, Nottingham holds its own for attracting Magic Circle Law firms. The degree course at Nottingham is also notorious for being assessed firmly, so that only the best students get a 2.1 or better.

Don't worry, for Law Nottingham will make your dreams come true if you want to work as a solicitor.
Original post by 105263

Very little if anything in it. Pick the one you like best. I'd go to Nottingham.

so that only the best students get a 2.1 or better.

:curious:

What's the percentage?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheTorysWin2015
Overall better uni and more prestigous with MC firms.

I think you will find top 100 graduate employers marginally prefer Nottingham over Warwick. Might have something to do with the fact that Nottingham's Chancellor is the CEO of GSK.
I think you will find top 100 graduate employers marginally prefer Nottingham over Warwick. Might have something to do with the fact that Nottingham's Chancellor is the CEO of GSK.

I agree with TheTorysWin2015.

Regarding law, Warwick is best to when it comes to careers within Magic Circle Law firms. I know this because of speaking to some trainees and associates at these firms.
Original post by Anonynmous

Regarding law, Warwick is best to when it comes to careers within Magic Circle Law firms. I know this because of speaking to some trainees and associates at these firms.

That is not what I have heard, and there are many lawyers in MC firms that would tell you otherwise. All of the MC firms target Nottingham on campus each year.

On top of that, every Investment Bank, every top Blue chip firm, MI6 etc all target Nottingham on campus each year, according to Highfliers research.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 105263

Just realised I answered a similar thread with my opinion along with others before, and it happens to be made by you.

Why make so many threads? :confused:

Nah m8.

Notts sends more grads to MC firms than Warwick does.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Nah m8.

Notts sends more grads to MC firms than Warwick does.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just saying what i've been told by many trainees and associates after interning at a MC firm
Just saying what i've been told by many trainees and associates after interning at a MC firm

I doubt a MC firm would be biased to either uni, so long as the graduate offered AAA plus a 2.1/1st from either. Nottingham has produced MC lawyers for decades.
That is not what I have heard, and there are many lawyers in MC firms that would tell you otherwise. All of the MC firms target Nottingham on campus each year.

On top of that, every Investment Bank, every top Blue chip firm, MI6 etc all target Nottingham on campus each year, according to Highfliers research.

No debate, Warwick is targeted more for IB's than Nottingham.

Not sure about other areas, But I know for sure that Warwick is strong for MC law and from the looks of opinions i've gathered, stronger than Nottingham.

Note these are opinions.
That is not actually true, Nottingham holds its own for attracting Magic Circle Law firms. The degree course at Nottingham is also notorious for being assessed firmly, so that only the best students get a 2.1 or better.

Don't worry, for Law Nottingham will make your dreams come true if you want to work as a solicitor.

Is law hard? For what type of person is law good for? What's the role of a solicitor and its salary?

Quick Reply

Latest