The Student Room Group

Wjec as biology by1 - 12 marker predictions?

What do you think will come up ?:smile:

10 MARKER*
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

hopefully biological molecules.
also, how long did it take you to learn the material for by1/ how many hours, not including any fully timed past papers you did. please reply, i'm really struggling with the amount of time left
Reply 2
Original post by Aleena Maryam
hopefully biological molecules.
also, how long did it take you to learn the material for by1/ how many hours, not including any fully timed past papers you did. please reply, i'm really struggling with the amount of time left

I haven't even finished my revision for it casue i have other exams! :/ Will start tomorrow. Although, wouldn't be able to revise much cause have psychology on monday as well...
Original post by Kitty-meaw
I haven't even finished my revision for it casue i have other exams! :/ Will start tomorrow. Although, wouldn't be able to revise much cause have psychology on monday as well...

i know same here, i want to revise for it because i know i'll need it but I just have to many other exams going on as well :frown:
Isn't it a 10 marker, not 12?
Original post by katemate98

That's what I thought.

-----

I'm pretty sure it won't be biological molecules because wasn't it lipids or enzymes last year?

To be honest, I think the 10 marker is always the easiest question so I'm not worried about it. WJEC always make some of the answers to the earlier questions really obscure and almost unrelated to what the question asks for so you end up trying to squeeze everything about the topic in about 3 lines. (But it also means a lot of the time, you don't even need 60/70 to score full UMS so it should be a piece of cake.)
Original post by DistantTraces
That's what I thought.

-----

I'm pretty sure it won't be biological molecules because wasn't it lipids or enzymes last year?

To be honest, I think the 10 marker is always the easiest question so I'm not worried about it. WJEC always make some of the answers to the earlier questions really obscure and almost unrelated to what the question asks for so you end up trying to squeeze everything about the topic in about 3 lines. (But it also means a lot of the time, you don't even need 60/70 to score full UMS so it should be a piece of cake.)

Yes! The 'suggest' questions urgh they're so annoying. Usually only about 1-2 marks each though. The 10 marker for BY1 will be fine but Unit 2 often has much harder 10 markers.
Yes! The 'suggest' questions urgh they're so annoying. Usually only about 1-2 marks each though. The 10 marker for BY1 will be fine but Unit 2 often has much harder 10 markers.

I actually prefer the unit 2 questions as they involve describing a process so you kinda remember things as you write them. Unit 1's always feels a bit too list like apart from when it's immobilised enzymes or something. But immobilised enzymes was such a... ugh... topic. And the answers to exactly the same question on the topic always change in each mark scheme. =/
I actually prefer the unit 2 questions as they involve describing a process so you kinda remember things as you write them. Unit 1's always feels a bit too list like apart from when it's immobilised enzymes or something. But immobilised enzymes was such a... ugh... topic. And the answers to exactly the same question on the topic always change in each mark scheme. =/

Yeah I suppose once you've learned them it's fine, like the chloride shift or how the heartbeat is controlled and all the mechanisms. The one last year about comparing xylems and arteries was a tricky mark scheme I thought.
Urgh yeah the immobilised enzymes now you've got to put 'recovered' and and reused. I'm not really worried about Unit 1 at all though tbh, I've mainly been revising unit 2 .
Reply 9

oops:P

me too! and yh i also hate those :frown:
Original post by Aleena Maryam
i know same here, i want to revise for it because i know i'll need it but I just have to many other exams going on as well :frown:

life sucks, why do my exams have to be so crammed :frown:
I've predicted that the Properties of Water and it's Significance in Living Organisms will come up. Or something water related. The last time an Essay on water came up was in Jan 2011. Easiest 10 marks of your life. Tbh I think that's the most likely thing to come up. Even if it doesn't come up as an essay, I have a strong feeling it will come up in the exam.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Faisalshamallakh
I've predicted that the Properties of Water and it's Significance in Living Organisms will come up. Or something water related. The last time an Essay on water came up was in Jan 2011. Easiest 10 marks of your life. Tbh I think that's the most likely thing to come up. Even if it doesn't come up as an essay, I have a strong feeling it will come up in the exam.

Agreed! What do you think for unit 2?
Agreed! What do you think for unit 2?

I'm doing HB2 so I wouldn't know:frown:
Guys you know in Biology. Say a question came up on Eukaryotes & Prokaryotes and we state differences between the two. If I were to put something that was correct such as "Prokaryotes divide via Binary Fission whereas Eukaryotes divide by Meiosis and/or Mitosis.". Would you guys think I'd get the mark for it even though it's probably not in the mark scheme? I mean the answer is correct if you see what I mean, but would it still be marked right?

The reason I ask is because WJEC Biology is EXTREMELY limited in terms of resources such as revision guides in comparison to other exam boards. So I bought the "Advanced Biology" book by Michael Kent and it is fantastic. It covers so many of the WJEC topics & beyond. It's not specific to WJEC which is why a few things I learn will probably not be strictly in the mark scheme. What's your opinions?
Reply 16
You would be VERY unlikely to get the mark- my teacher is an examiner and went to one of the meetings where they decide what to put on the mark scheme. She suggested something to add in, because it was a right answer but isn't taught widely anymore and was told no because it's old fashioned and not taught anymore. So the student who used that correct answer would lose the mark because it's 'old fashioned'
So unfair.
ahh that really sucks to hear. WJEC should credit people for looking beyond their syllabus. Very unfair that learning new things can be marked wrong just for not fitting into their mark scheme. Why discredit students for expanding their knowledge?:frown:
Original post by Faisalshamallakh
Guys you know in Biology. Say a question came up on Eukaryotes & Prokaryotes and we state differences between the two. If I were to put something that was correct such as "Prokaryotes divide via Binary Fission whereas Eukaryotes divide by Meiosis and/or Mitosis.". Would you guys think I'd get the mark for it even though it's probably not in the mark scheme? I mean the answer is correct if you see what I mean, but would it still be marked right?

The reason I ask is because WJEC Biology is EXTREMELY limited in terms of resources such as revision guides in comparison to other exam boards. So I bought the "Advanced Biology" book by Michael Kent and it is fantastic. It covers so many of the WJEC topics & beyond. It's not specific to WJEC which is why a few things I learn will probably not be strictly in the mark scheme. What's your opinions?

WJEC is an awful exam board in my opinion, the mark scheme is incredibly narrow and unfair so you wouldn't get credit for additional answers. I don't know why my college does WJEC, we're not even in Wales...
WJEC is an awful exam board in my opinion, the mark scheme is incredibly narrow and unfair so you wouldn't get credit for additional answers. I don't know why my college does WJEC, we're not even in Wales...

I agree. But, I think the content in the syllabus is more straight forward than other exam boards. Although, when it comes to marking, they are extremely harsh, Not to mention the horrific revision guides available for WJEC Biology.

The CGP revision guides are unbelievably good but they are only AQA/OCR/Edexel specific for AS Level.

We're really caught in the middle tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest