The Student Room Group

The "I'm scared I'm going to miss my offer" thread 2015

Scroll to see replies

IM VERY scared i won't get a place... ;'( i ****ed up m1 today and now I'm feeling very depressed
Reply 21
Original post by Nuclear Ghost
I'm in a similar situation with Physics. Having done awfully in the ISA, there are ridiculously tight conditions that I need for an A*. Is this the same reason?

No idea what ISAs are. Quick google makes me think these are coursework modules? If so, YES you're in the same position as me. I'm doing OCR though.

Of the total 300UMS for the A2 modules, I've lost 26 already on my coursework, meaning I need 234UMS from the possible 240 from the exams :s-smilie:.
Reply 22
I need BBB for sociology at university of manchester, i'm pretty confident I'm going to get 2 B's, I went to speak to my subject tutor about my other subject and he even said he can't imagine me getting higher than a C, how likely is it they'll accept me still??? I'm panicking like crazy
Original post by Sam596
No idea what ISAs are. Quick google makes me think these are coursework modules? If so, YES you're in the same position as me. I'm doing OCR though.

Of the total 300UMS for the A2 modules, I've lost 26 already on my coursework, meaning I need 234UMS from the possible 240 from the exams :s-smilie:.

I need 226. At least we're on the same boat. :yy:
On top of the advice in the OP if you think you might miss your firm offer but would like them to consider you for other courses with lower requirements: TELL THEM.

Also make sure you've checked the accommodation options, guarantees and deadlines. There's nothing more likely to put another downer on results day than missing your grades, getting rejected by your firm AND finding out you've got nowhere to live at your insurance.
Original post by Juggerz
The I know im going to miss my offer because I dont test well at all thread.
It sucks. I've repeated the year and I've been working the best I can, I keep getting predicted D's and C's and its frustrating. Ive applied for a foundation year for pharmacy and Ive been given an offer for 180 UCAS points (nothing compared to other people) and im only doing two subjects, Chemistry and Physics (will need 1 B and a C). I love science, especially Pharmacy and chemistry and all of that stuff but I just cant pass test and its killing me. I feel like I wont meet my offer, and clearing will just laugh at me... well because Kingston is really the only place that does foundation years for people like me.
I'd rather not go into uni at all then do a course I dont like.
It sucks and I dont know what to do. Im trying my hardest and I wont stop trying till my last exam but I need something to fall back on. I ****ed up bigtime and its costing me a future job I would kill to have even if I didnt earn a single penny from it.
Could someone help me and maybe give me some advice? I really feel like I've failed everyone around me :/
Though im still confused on how Kingston made me an offer for F190 because it requires bio at AS, Grade D and I havent got that :/
I did an EPQ last year to fill some time over the summer where I wasnt doing anything productive though that hardly helped.

Sorry for the long post, just dont really have anyone to say this stuff to.

Have you firmed Kingston for Foundation Pharmacy? I've put them as my firm for MPharm but I'm worried about how lenient they'll be. I'm retaking all of my AS Chemistry and Biology exams so that I can hopefully change BCD into BBB, but their entry requirements are quite vague. For the Foundation year I read they want CDD/DDD, and I'm scared I'll be stuck in limbo somewhere (not high enough grades for first year entry, but not low enough for them to consider me for the Foundation year).

I've had the same problem as you, when it comes to exams I just completely misinterpret the questions and write about the wrong things, and I also forget a lot of things really fast. I've basically been going through exam questions and kind of learning the 4-6 mark model answers in the mark schemes. The mark schemes really break everything down and they can summarise a whole topic in just a few bullet points. Also, there's websites like www.cram.com and www.quizlet.com where other people upload their flashcards and you can just read through them on your phone before the exam. It helped me a lot for the resit exams. I hope this helps you!
I'm scared cos I need an A* in physics :-( :-( and OCR are major ****boys
Original post by rachelc142
I'm scared cos I need an A* in physics :-( :-( and OCR are major ****boys

OCR is why I no longer do Chem. I feel sorry for literally anyone doing OCR Physics. With that being said, AQA aren't exactly a walk in the park.
Original post by Nuclear Ghost
OCR is why I no longer do Chem. I feel sorry for literally anyone doing OCR Physics. With that being said, AQA aren't exactly a walk in the park.

yeah I've heard chem is sooooo hard
haha yeah I bet! is that the exam board with the multi choice? I did think they were difficult tbh
Original post by rachelc142
yeah I've heard chem is sooooo hard
haha yeah I bet! is that the exam board with the multi choice? I did think they were difficult tbh

We have multiple choice in one exam. I don't find it that hard, but a lot of people do.
Tip for AQA Physics candidates: Save the multi choice 'til last.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've applied for English and Media at Sussex uni and my entry requirements are AAC with an A in English. I haven't actually sat my English exam yet but I'm really worried that I won't get the A but think I could get a B in biology so end up with ABB. Do you think it's still likely that I'll get in? Also I found another person on Facebook doing my course and their entry requirements are only BBB.
Reply 31
Original post by Aliscia Barnes
I've applied for English and Media at Sussex uni and my entry requirements are AAC with an A in English. I haven't actually sat my English exam yet but I'm really worried that I won't get the A but think I could get a B in biology so end up with ABB. Do you think it's still likely that I'll get in? Also I found another person on Facebook doing my course and their entry requirements are only BBB.
It's impossible to say what your chances might be, in the event that you do miss your offer. Be positive, though! Everyone worries about whether they can get the grades they need - and the majority do. No reason why you shouldn't be in that majority, especially if you keep a cool head :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by Petulia
Have you firmed Kingston for Foundation Pharmacy? I've put them as my firm for MPharm but I'm worried about how lenient they'll be. I'm retaking all of my AS Chemistry and Biology exams so that I can hopefully change BCD into BBB, but their entry requirements are quite vague. For the Foundation year I read they want CDD/DDD, and I'm scared I'll be stuck in limbo somewhere (not high enough grades for first year entry, but not low enough for them to consider me for the Foundation year).

I've had the same problem as you, when it comes to exams I just completely misinterpret the questions and write about the wrong things, and I also forget a lot of things really fast. I've basically been going through exam questions and kind of learning the 4-6 mark model answers in the mark schemes. The mark schemes really break everything down and they can summarise a whole topic in just a few bullet points. Also, there's websites like www.cram.com and www.quizlet.com where other people upload their flashcards and you can just read through them on your phone before the exam. It helped me a lot for the resit exams. I hope this helps you!

Its strange, on their website they ask from 3 subjects so DDD like you said but however im only doing two A levels meaning I have to get a B & C because I failed bio. If I could go back in time and change things I wish I could have an offer for 3 B's like you.
I firmed but dont worry if you miss by a grade, you will definitley get a place in clearing.
I know people who have got into pharmacy year 1 with BCC.
I hope you do well, and thanks for the sites :smile: It really means a lot!
Original post by Juggerz
Its strange, on their website they ask from 3 subjects so DDD like you said but however im only doing two A levels meaning I have to get a B & C because I failed bio. If I could go back in time and change things I wish I could have an offer for 3 B's like you.
I firmed but dont worry if you miss by a grade, you will definitley get a place in clearing.
I know people who have got into pharmacy year 1 with BCC.
I hope you do well, and thanks for the sites :smile: It really means a lot!

Did those people get into Kingston or a different university? And was it last year? I've been trying to find people who study Pharmacy at Kingston currently to see what grades they got in with, because I wasn't sure how lenient they would be. On their website they say ABB but they lowered it to BBB when they gave out offers I think. Hopefully I'll see you this September then!
Reply 34
Original post by Petulia
Did those people get into Kingston or a different university? And was it last year? I've been trying to find people who study Pharmacy at Kingston currently to see what grades they got in with, because I wasn't sure how lenient they would be. On their website they say ABB but they lowered it to BBB when they gave out offers I think. Hopefully I'll see you this September then!

I dont see them often, they dont study at kingston but they have been given other places in clearing. I guess now its more competitive so things may be different! But im sure you'll be able to make your grade :smile:
Starting to have seconds thoughts on pharmacy personally, but thats for a different conversation :P
Would getting AAC/D be acceptable for a course that wants BBB. 2 Aachieved being in the core subjects.
Firmed: University of Aberdeen
Conditions: SQA Higher AAB

Insurance: University of Strathclyde
Conditions: SQA Higher ABB

I reckon that I have an A for English, a B for Maths (as the paper was terrible) and a C for Physics as since I did the new CFE and so their was a lack of study material.

Could I still get my insurance offer even if I miss the requirements by a grade?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 37
If my offer was AAB for zoology at Manchester uni and I only get ABB (which I'm pretty sure I will) will they still let me in? The A will be in biology and I also have an A in EPQ? think i remember them saying something about letting me in on results day even if i have dropped a grade but i cant remember and I'm getting scared now haha :s-smilie:
Firmed Psychology at the Uni of Bath (A*AA including English Lit and Psych) and insurance is UCL (AAA). English Lit is just :'( and aiming for the notorious A* in Psych which is painful.

It's nerve-wracking not having any control over these things. Not going to be in the country for results day either as I'll be in Peru doing volunteer work so no internet or phone access either.
I'm transferring to year 1 of an Engineering degree at a top 5 Engineering University. They're asking for ~90% overall in my current year. It's understandable they'd want the very best; but we're all prone to the odd silly mistake during exam-time pressure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending