The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
it seems that we have a lot of good advice on what to look for in the case studies, in terms of economic, social and environmental costs.

But what about the "spatial variations" side?

Any ideas on what type of questions they're going to ask?
Im not too sure about spatial variations. think it means basically how they vary between ledc and medc. maybe the differences and similarities.

think there could be a question on social impacts 2moz as this hasnt been asked yet and the economic and environmental impacts has been.
Reply 62
charliefarley
Im not too sure about spatial variations. think it means basically how they vary between ledc and medc. maybe the differences and similarities.

think there could be a question on social impacts 2moz as this hasnt been asked yet and the economic and environmental impacts has been.

It could quite easily be spatial variations LEDC vs MEDC in the way that the hazards are distributed, their impacts (relative to econ development) and the solutions.
It could also be about the fact that there is a degree of spatial concentration of some hazards (eg hurricanes are latitudinally restricted under normal circumstances.... tectonic events tend to be spatially restricted to specific zones) therefore one would have though they are easier to predict and deal with, but with Global warming increasing the range of tropical storms and with dams creating extra crustal loading, the spatial variations may not always be predictable.
Reply 63
Geogger
It could quite easily be spatial variations LEDC vs MEDC in the way that the hazards are distributed, their impacts (relative to econ development) and the solutions.
It could also be about the fact that there is a degree of spatial concentration of some hazards (eg hurricanes are latitudinally restricted under normal circumstances.... tectonic events tend to be spatially restricted to specific zones) therefore one would have though they are easier to predict and deal with, but with Global warming increasing the range of tropical storms and with dams creating extra crustal loading, the spatial variations may not always be predictable.

Do you have the info about exactly where hurricanes occur because I can't find it any where in my notes?

Oh yeah I don't know if people know this but it is quite a good example of a LEDC MEDC comparison.

On the 22nd of december 2003 there was an earthquake in california of 6.5 on the richtar scale. It killed 2 people as a clock tower fell down. 4 days later an earthquake of the same size hit Bam and killed 30,000 people
Reply 64
randdom
Do you have the info about exactly where hurricanes occur because I can't find it any where in my notes?

You need locations where the sea temperature reach over 28 degrees C, there is a considerable depth of water, usually in Autumn when temps are at their highest. Thus predominantly between the Tropics (usually 5 to 20 degrees N or S) but because of the rotation of the earth the most productive areas for the origin of hurricanes/typhoons/ Cyclones/ Willy-Willies are on the western sides of Africa and S America, western Indonesia and western Pacific. The rotation of the Earth then helps to push them towards the recipient areas of Caribbean for eg, in the case of West African generated hurricanes
Reply 65
Geogger
You need locations where the sea temperature reach over 28 degrees C, there is a considerable depth of water, usually in Autumn when temps are at their highest. Thus predominantly between the Tropics (usually 5 to 20 degrees N or S) but because of the rotation of the earth the most productive areas for the origin of hurricanes/typhoons/ Cyclones/ Willy-Willies are on the western sides of Africa and S America, western Indonesia and western Pacific. The rotation of the Earth then helps to push them towards the recipient areas of Caribbean for eg, in the case of West African generated hurricanes

Thank you so much. I am getting really really stressed :frown:
Reply 66
Cool, thanks for this everyone. I've only just started revising for hazards (7 o'clock night before I know - v bad) and i've also got 2 other big exams tomorrow woooooooo. Does drought and hurricanes in an LEDC and MEDC sound ok? Thanks
Corriolis effect! (that is the spinning motion of the earth)

I always thought The earthquake in New Mexico was a great case study for the LEDC country. As you can also incorporate Liquefaction into your answer, plus there are a lot of things to talk about for example the 100000 deaths that occured, and how this differs from the San Francisco earthquake of '89, as the city was up and running again in three days or so.

'Spatial Variation' refers to where the hazards occur, and how some hazards cannot happen in places, for example there are no volcanoes in Britain because we do not have any constructive boundaries, though there are an abundance in the Phillippines because of the constructive boundaries....i think thats what the generalisation was refering too??
Reply 68
jeeves
Cool, thanks for this everyone. I've only just started revising for hazards (7 o'clock night before I know - v bad) and i've also got 2 other big exams tomorrow woooooooo. Does drought and hurricanes in an LEDC and MEDC sound ok? Thanks

I would advice you look a tectonic hazards aswell at least one for and medc and one for an ledc. You have chosen two climatic hazards. In an ideal world you would have lots of case studies but as you are in a rush I would recomend you learn

2 Earthquakes (MEDC +LEDC contrasting)
2 hurricanes (MEDC +LEDC contrasting)
2 Volcanoes (MEDC +LEDC contrasting)
Me too..... is this only 7% of your final grade??? Please tell me it is!!!!!!!! :eek:
Reply 70
Stoned 24/7
Me too..... is this only 7% of your final grade??? Please tell me it is!!!!!!!! :eek:

I think thats about it :confused: still doesn't make me confident though.
Yep it is 7%. cos it gets added to your written cwk. Im dreading 2moz!!!
Thank you Lord!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Makes me much happier.... Why don't all us late to start revising people just post our case studies on here and we can learn each others??
ah yeh! My coursework was great i think

Still would be good to do well and stuff...
What did you peeps think of unit 4 on tues?
Climatic - Drought
LEDC - The Sahel, West Africa 1973-74

100 000+ dead - mostly through starvation
millions of cattle dead
mass migration north
land becomes barren/baked & impossible to plough

bush fires - long term, adds nutrients
short term, peasants left w/out pasture land

quasi-natural? increased desertification due to overgrazing

MEDC England/Wales, 1976
no deaths, starvation, mass migration
water restricted - hose pipe bans etc

industry suffered - power stations, steelworks etc. all use water
agriculture - grass didn't grow - milk shortages

£500 million crops lost
£60 million house damage dude to subsidence on clay foundations
i barely finished unit 4, scrapped by the skin of my teeth me thinks. I spent far to long on the first question.... <------- STUPID!

Which questions did you do?
I TRIED to do 2, 4, 7, I barely finished as well.

How bout u?
Everyone in my class said 4 was hard.... you should've seen this girls face when she walked out man, funny as fuck.

Please, post me your case studies, I NEEEEEEED CASE STUDIES..........

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaseeeeeeeeee..........

Shit, better stop that. No neeeeed to beg. I did the weather question, the one about population changes and under/overpopulation and uhhhhhhh... as me name suggests I don't remember the other question.
1, 4 and 8

i thought it was pretty difficult. I would of really loved el nino to of come up, but it didnt!! DARGH!

Latest

Trending

Trending