The Student Room Group

controlling back pain whilst studying/in exams

I've been seeing a physio for a few weeks after serious muscle pain in my lower back/sciatica.. it's manageable but sitting down/typing does cause a fair bit of pain and real stiffness when I stand up

sorry not being very clear here; basically how do you minimise back pain best when at a desk? looked online but always best to hear firsthand remediess :smile:
Cushion :colone:
sit straight and keep your posture. Don't slouch or lean back or whatever and don't stretch.

Just keep with the physio, maybe exercise and take painkillers
Change the height of your seat so you have to sit up straight.
Tell the invigilators (with some sort of proof) and I'm sure they'd let you have a pillow, or help you change to a more comfortable desk (I did similar but had broken leg, got in 10 mins early and got to hand pick the best desk :P ) Also make sure you sit up straight, get good sleep night before and do everything you can to improve concentration (water, not hungry but not full up ect) and then just be ready in the exam to spend a total of 5 mins readjusting and worrying about back pains. If you tell them, you may get 5 mins extra. I got 5 mins extra in all my GCSE's (didn't need it, but it helped me relax so I guess I needed it emotionally xD ) because of my cast ect.
Original post by alicefishy
I've been seeing a physio for a few weeks after serious muscle pain in my lower back/sciatica.. it's manageable but sitting down/typing does cause a fair bit of pain and real stiffness when I stand up

sorry not being very clear here; basically how do you minimise back pain best when at a desk? looked online but always best to hear firsthand remediess :smile:

Hi Alicefishy

Funnily enough, I was considering starting a thread like this as well :smile:

I've been having lower back pain since August, but mine hasn't spread down the leg, instead up my back and paraspinals, eventually to my shoulders. I take a cushion into my exams, which the examiners are happy with as it stays in the hall for the whole exam period. I had three exams in an afternoon, so sitting down for 3 hours straight was not fun for me.

I have a friend who has sciatica, so we have been helping out in PE lessons etc.

The only advice I can give you is use a cushion - I haven't taken any painkillers during my exams, so far I've had 19 in the last three weeks so you can imagine how much more difficult it is compared to other people.

There's a few things I've been doing to try and get rid of the pain, or minimise it - here are some of them.

1) Don't sit on the floor for long amounts of time. It might sound stupid, but I find that if I sit down on the floor my pain gets even worse, so when you're waiting around stand or pull up a chair.

2) Heat / Cold, whichever works best. As mine is predominantly muscle pain (according to physiotherapist and acupuncturist) I use heat, and a good massage the night before an exam can really help

3) Exercises. To minimise pain as much as I can I do set exercises every morning and again before I go to bed. These consist of twists (not too much), balances and various leg / back raises, but do them within reason (not to the point of excessive pain) By the sounds of things sitting down makes it stiff, so try and do other things as much as you can beforehand

4) Don't lift. Just don't - I came second in Britain for my martial art in my weight category (before my back problem arose) so I don't lift heavy weights or put as much stress on my back anymore.

5) Keep seeing your Physio - for updates. I've had 12 physio sessions and there has been some improvement - obviously with sciatica it's different but for my pain it's always there, but it comes and goes at different strengths. My physio told me to go back to my doctor after 2 months if I still have pain, but again that's a lot of effort to rearrange a new physio etc.

Hope this helps, and good luck with the exams!

Mo
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
My exams are in two weeks, I haven;t really mentioned it to school at all! Do you think I can call the school and ask if I can use the cushion ? Would a note from the physio be enough, do you think? I have an english exam which is 2.5 hours non stop so I think I might cry if I can't have it :l
My exams are in two weeks, I haven;t really mentioned it to school at all! Do you think I can call the school and ask if I can use the cushion ? Would a note from the physio be enough, do you think? I have an english exam which is 2.5 hours non stop so I think I might cry if I can't have it :l

Definitely - I didn't even need a note from the Physio, and the pillow can help relieve quite a bit of pain.

Mo

You should a diagnosis so you can find out what's causing your sciatica, then hopefully get that fixed.
Reply 9
Original post by Smack
You should a diagnosis so you can find out what's causing your sciatica, then hopefully get that fixed.

I do actually have a diagnosis and it's basically just weakened and damaged muscle around the spine/hips, that's causing the spine to be extremely tight/press on the nerve slightly, generally believed to be cause by 15years of horse riding and outside pursuits :P not much they can do except give pain killers and work to make the muscles looser and the back freer and stronger, :l
You can get these things called BackJoy which you put on your seat like a cushion and it keeps your posture good to prevent back pain :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest