The Student Room Group

Open University after dropping out full-time

I have received 3 years of Student finance and grants (2010-2013) but had to drop-out due to personal circumstances.
I am now in a position where I can concentrate all my efforts on a degree.

I have applied to the Open University for a degree in Politics, Philosophy and Economics and hope to start in October.

Since dropping out, I have received letters requesting payment for the over-payment of loans. I have absolutely no way of paying the sum in one payment.

Is there any way I can receive funding for my Part-time Degree starting this year?
If so, what is available?

I have always lived in wales, and my household income is below 25K

I really hope I can finally achieve what I set out to do 5 years ago

Thank you in advance for any advice.
Reply 1
Hi there, I am in the exact same position as you!

From all of the discussions I've had with SFW and others, what I have gathered is that, as long as you are not in arrears with your overpayments, you are fully eligible for funding for your OU degree. Which means, as long as you are repaying the overpayments on time monthly (I am paying back £20 a month, £10 for the grant and £10 for the loans), you shall be eligible.

I hope this puts you at ease.
If you would like to double check, just ring SFW and explain your whole situation to them, they should confirm what I said to you. If not, they'll tell you to apply and find out for sure. Anyway, just make sure you start paying back your overpayments regularly. Some people pay as little as £5 a month. It all depends on how much you earn (or don't).

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending