The Student Room Group

Do university know/care if I've dropped out of two other university courses

I've dropped out of one degree in first year and am now doing another, I'm planning to drop out of this one for personal reasons and will probably reapply to UCAS for a different degree this year or next year.
I'm worried that dropping out multiple times will affect my next application, will universities be able to see that I've dropped out of previous courses through UCAS and will this affect whether they accept me?
When applying through UCAS you need to declare your prior study at university - failure to do so can lead to your application being flagged as fraudulent, any unis that have made you offers are free to nullify those, and UCAS can exclude you from the remainder of that and potentially even further future application cycles.

So, since you'll be declaring it, the university you're applying to will know. Whether it will affect things is hard to say, in my experience it didn't but I had a gap between my original studies and my new ones of a few years where I was working. Generally a false start on another course is usually not something unis have a huge issue with I gather, although two such false starts may be a concern.

However, the bigger factor is if you've now left two courses in a row, you won't get full funding for any new full time course you start from year 1 now, due to having used up two of your years of funding entitlement, unless you apply and are granted an additional year of funding due to compelling personal reasons (CPR). You should speak with SFE and understand what the implications are and what your options are urgently, so you go into this with your eyes open.

Note also that if you have to self fund a year of tuition fees due to not having enough fee entitlement to cover the remainder of the course, that will always be the first year(s) in the new course, not the last ones. So you can't plan to work and save money for the first two years to self-fund the third year - you would need to be self funding the first year of the new course.

That said, something to consider also is that part-time funding is a separate process and if you haven't earned any qualifications, your prior full time funding shouldn't affect your entitlement for part-time funding - so you should still be able to fully fund a part time degree :smile:
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
When applying through UCAS you need to declare your prior study at university - failure to do so can lead to your application being flagged as fraudulent, any unis that have made you offers are free to nullify those, and UCAS can exclude you from the remainder of that and potentially even further future application cycles.

So, since you'll be declaring it, the university you're applying to will know. Whether it will affect things is hard to say, in my experience it didn't but I had a gap between my original studies and my new ones of a few years where I was working. Generally a false start on another course is usually not something unis have a huge issue with I gather, although two such false starts may be a concern.

However, the bigger factor is if you've now left two courses in a row, you won't get full funding for any new full time course you start from year 1 now, due to having used up two of your years of funding entitlement, unless you apply and are granted an additional year of funding due to compelling personal reasons (CPR). You should speak with SFE and understand what the implications are and what your options are urgently, so you go into this with your eyes open.

Note also that if you have to self fund a year of tuition fees due to not having enough fee entitlement to cover the remainder of the course, that will always be the first year(s) in the new course, not the last ones. So you can't plan to work and save money for the first two years to self-fund the third year - you would need to be self funding the first year of the new course.

That said, something to consider also is that part-time funding is a separate process and if you haven't earned any qualifications, your prior full time funding shouldn't affect your entitlement for part-time funding - so you should still be able to fully fund a part time degree :smile:

Thank you for the advice. I'm mainly worried about whether I'd be accepted in the first place but yes funding is also something to think about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending