The Student Room Group

OCR AS Computing - F452 - 3rd June 2015

Scroll to see replies

In the code questions are we righting in our high level language or pseudo code?
The question I just did had an answer in pseudo code not sure if this is the same for all coding questions.
Original post by Matt Burgundy
In the code questions are we righting in our high level language or pseudo code?
The question I just did had an answer in pseudo code not sure if this is the same for all coding questions.

We've been told to always write in pseudo-code unless the question states otherwise.
Original post by ryanroks1
We've been told to always write in pseudo-code unless the question states otherwise.

Damn, now I need to practice writing in pseudo code.
Damn, now I need to practice writing in pseudo code.

You're not alone there ahaha. :frown:
Original post by ryanroks1
What do you guys find trickiest about F452? For me, there are less definitions to learn so I perform well on worded questions, but I make the most stupid mistakes with dry runs and writing algorithms. I repeatedly start the trace table with the wrong value and cock it all up.

For me i find the algorithms the hardest part, long answer questions for me are a pain as i tend to get confused with what the paper is actually asking.
Can someone please share their design of a suitable layout so I can see what exactly we are supposed to put?
Do we put actual stuff on the design, say like if the design has a timer to we put say "12:08" and then put an arrow (annotation) pointing to it saying it's a timer or can we just put a box and right timer in it?

(Just tell me if this doesn't make sense!)
Reply 46
Can someone please share their design of a suitable layout so I can see what exactly we are supposed to put?
Do we put actual stuff on the design, say like if the design has a timer to we put say "12:08" and then put an arrow (annotation) pointing to it saying it's a timer or can we just put a box and right timer in it?

(Just tell me if this doesn't make sense!)

I don't have a design to share but I think both would be okay. As long as you annotate it and show what it is then they can see that you understand the relevance fair. One thing I always remember is that there are extra things that you need to add to get full marks (not always mentioned) such as a 'next' button or a scroll bar.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lx477
I don't have a design to share but I think both would be okay. As long as you annotate it and show what it is then they can see that you understand the relevance fair. One thing I always remember is that there are extra things that you need to add to get full marks (not always mentioned) such as a 'next' button or a scroll bar.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you.
Are we supposed to know what MOD means?
Because a question I'm on says state the value of TicketNumber MOD Key.
Key has a value of 10 and TicketNumber has a value of 3210.

Don't worry I've looked at the mark scheme MOD just means the remainder when one thing is divided by another.

MOD means Modular Division. It returns a remainder of division :smile:

EDIT: Sorry didn't see your reply :P
Has Any body got a definition for run time errors? Mine seems half dodgy.
Original post by totogold1
MOD means Modular Division. It returns a remainder of division :smile:

EDIT: Sorry didn't see your reply :P

No problem, thanks anyway!
Original post by Hooch Is Crazy

Runtime errors can only be found while the code is executing ("running"). Consider the formula (a+b)/(c-d). If c == d, then the program will crash, as it is dividing by zero. It may be rare that c is made equal to d (or d is made equal to c), therefore runtime errors can often be the hardest to debug.

Taken from;http://www.ocrcomputing.org.uk/f452/solution_testing/errors.html
Runtime errors can only be found while the code is executing ("running":wink:. Consider the formula (a+b)/(c-d). If c == d, then the program will crash, as it is dividing by zero. It may be rare that c is made equal to d (or d is made equal to c), therefore runtime errors can often be the hardest to debug.

Taken from;http://www.ocrcomputing.org.uk/f452/solution_testing/errors.html

I had something similar i thought was wrong, thanks
Original post by Hooch Is Crazy

I think the simple definition of a runtime error is when the programmer asks the processor to do a impossible task. Often this will result in the programming crashing.

Always note that a runtime error will be cause by the programmer themselves and not for some other reason.

I could be completely wrong ,but this was a definition i got taught and learnt .
Reply 56
Original post by totogold1
I think the simple definition of a runtime error is when the programmer asks the processor to do a impossible task. Often this will result in the programming crashing.

Always note that a runtime error will be cause by the programmer themselves and not for some other reason.

I could be completely wrong ,but this was a definition i got taught and learnt .

Yep, me too. My exact definition is:
An error which occurs due to an unexpected situation with data being processed or another external factor. The program would otherwise work under normal conditions.

I think that's from the text book, not sure though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anybody got any decent predictions for what will come up? Like definitions and what not...
Reply 58
guys whats the difference when drawing a data capture form and data entry screen, PLEASE URGENTTT
I'm retaking this unit as I got a B last year but I want an A overall. Been doing all the past papers for this specification and I've been getting mostly A's apart from two papers which were B's. However I noticed a significant difference in the style of the June 2014 (the paper I took last year!) and it was one of the lowest grade boundaries paper for this unit at 63 when usually its between 75 - 83 for an A meaning it was one of the hardest and first time that it consisted of 3 long algorithm questions, so I was wondering if they've changed their chief examiner for this specification?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending