Maths c
Science core c
Additional science c
History b
French b
Food tech b
Re a or b
Psychology a or a*

I know these aren't absolutely brilliant as I didn't really realise there was any importance untill not so long ago untill reality kind of stepped in. I also only rdpecently decided that I'd like to be able to study languages at a good university. Do GCSEs affect chances of getting in?
I'm planning on taking French psychology and philosophy at a level. And am planning to try and achieve an a in all.
No usually the minimum requirement would be C in English Language and B in maths if you want to do a maths related degree. Honestly research what course you want to do and what university you would like to go to. That would be my starting point. Don't stress about it my results were far better than predicted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by jonayed1122
No usually the minimum requirement would be C in English Language and B in maths if you want to do a maths related degree. Honestly research what course you want to do and what university you would like to go to. That would be my starting point. Don't stress about it my results were far better than predicted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have researched unis and they don't seem to mention GCSEs, but I was worried about whether I would be less advantageous compared to other applicants..
Also, the grades I mentioned really are realistic.
It seems like so many people are getting a grades..
Reply 3
Original post by Picola123
So I'm predicting that I get the following results for GCSEs
English Lang b
English lit b
Maths c
Science core c
Additional science c
History b
French b
Food tech b
Re a or b
Psychology a or a*

I know these aren't absolutely brilliant as I didn't really realise there was any importance untill not so long ago untill reality kind of stepped in. I also only rdpecently decided that I'd like to be able to study languages at a good university. Do GCSEs affect chances of getting in?
I'm planning on taking French psychology and philosophy at a level. And am planning to try and achieve an a in all.

Oxbridge might look but I don't think most unis really care about GCSE grades (provided you've got C or higher in Eng/Maths). Your AS Level results are going to be way more important for your application!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was it because you did a lot of work or everyone over estimates the difficulty of GCSEs? And if you don't mind me asking what you were predicted vs achieved - understand if you'd rather not share it of course.
Sure these are predicted as in before my gcses my teachers gave me predicted grades based on my progress, honestly i didnt work for my gcses. I was occupied in gaming and for some of these subjects my revision was reading the textbook on my bus ride to school.

Science core C/B
Science additional C/B
Science triple U/A (hardly attended lessons and got straight Us in all my mocks)
English language C/B
English literature B/A
Maths C/B
History C/B
Computer science U/A (i had not completed coursework on the due date but did do it and scored an A.)
Dt C/A (gave up on practical but somehow got a B for it.)
Predicted/Actual grades

Please keep in mind i was torn by these predicted grades as all my siblings got As and A*s.
If i had tryed i could have done better but i was suprised at these grades when i got my results, i totally went into my school certain i would walk out with a couple Us.
Don't think by this you can slack off and expect to walk out with good grades, my grades were bad in comparison to my siblings and i believe the only reason i passed was because i grasped the content in the lessons i did attend.

After doing a levels i see how easy gcses really are in comparison. So i can see why people and universities disregard its value.
(edited 8 years ago)
Sure these are predicted as in before my gcses my teachers gave me predicted grades based on my progress, honestly i didnt work for my gcses. I was occupied in gaming and for some of these subjects my revision was reading the textbook on my bus ride to school.

Science core C/B
Science additional C/B
Science triple U/A (hardly attended lessons and got straight Us in all my mocks)
English language C/B
English literature B/A
Maths C/B
History C/B
Computer science U/A (i had not completed coursework on the due date but did do it and scored an A.)
Dt C/A (gave up on practical but somehow got a B for it.)
Predicted/Actual grades

Please keep in mind i was torn by these predicted grades as all my siblings got As and A*s.
If i had tryed i could have done better but i was suprised at these grades when i got my results, i totally went into my school certain i would walk out with a couple Us.
Don't think by this you can slack off and expect to walk out with good grades, my grades were bad in comparison to my siblings and i believe the only reason i passed was because i grasped the content in the lessons i did attend.

After doing a levels i see how easy gcses really are in comparison. So i can see why people and universities disregard its value.

Alright thanks a lot, night before cramming and steady work for 2 years is the way to go I think
Reply 8
Bump
Reply 9
Help! I've looked everywhere and some people seem to think GCSEs are important, whereas others seem to think that all unis even top ones, excluding Oxbridge, don't even look at them.. Any ideas?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending