The Student Room Group

Who do you think should pay for a wedding?

Scroll to see replies

The rich folk
I'd like a fairly cheap wedding, and one which I can afford on my own.
i think the whole wedding industry is ghastly. instead of paying thousands of pounds for an expensive headache and indigestion you could help several hundred poor people see again:

http://www.sightsavers.org/help-child-see/
My boyfriend's sister's wedding costs like 30 grand. Not joking. It is a 4 day event as well. Her dad is paying for most of it. Honestly I think it is OTT. I think the couple should pay for the wedding - or most of it.
Original post by earthworm
Actualy average is 21k according to bbc..just google it, 18 must have been average in 2011 when i got hitched.

Original post by Motorbiker
It's a gathering of many people. Hiring venues, providing food, photographers etc all add up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was going to ask what all that money could possibly be spent on, but then I saw Motorbiker's post. So essentially, a lot of the costs are just the frills that people desire to complete their 'perfect' wedding.

So long as I have a pretty dress and veil and preferably a cute church as a venue, I don't really care. Family can take photographs. We can provide our own food. I wouldn't want more than close family and friends to be there, anyway.

Such expenses are very unnecessary.
Original post by littlenorthernlass
Was going to ask what all that money could possibly be spent on, but then I saw Motorbiker's post. So essentially, a lot of the costs are just the frills that people desire to complete their 'perfect' wedding.

So long as I have a pretty dress and veil and preferably a cute church as a venue, I don't really care. Family can take photographs. We can provide our own food. I wouldn't want more than close family and friends to be there, anyway.

Such expenses are very unnecessary.

Unnecessary-possibly depending on your POV and cultural expectation. Unusual? No.

Been to v exepensive and cheap weddings recently and cant say I enjoyed one over the other.

Re family taking photos, a hobbiest with a mid range DLSR cant compete with a pro and pro gear. I did my grandads wedding and although I got one or 2 decent shots but not a decent package. It depends on your priorities but photography is somthing we didnt want to skimp on
That's a load of people. I don't even know that many without inviting family friends that I don't really know and cousins I've never met since I was 3.

What's your budget?

I'm doing a sub 50 people wedding in a small venue and looking at spending ~£5k. Venue for ceremony and reception was £1750. Going for bbq food option so should be under £1k.

My fiancée has quite a large family, I have a relatively small family. As soon as you invite people and then their other halves then the number soon start adding up. I'm inviting a lot of people from work.

We're spending around £16-18k. We're having the wedding and the reception in a hotel with a catered wedding breakfast so we are falling into the trap of "wedding prices".

We did consider having a registry office ceremony and then a picnic/ BBQ reception. But She wanted to have a ceremony in a nice venue so once you start down the road of having a 'proper' wedding then it's a spiral into spending after that!

TBH people should spend their money on what they want. We both have decent paying jobs and can afford to save the money over a period of time... I refused to get credit for the wedding and it's also a test run to see if we can save for a mortgage deposit as well once we're married.
Reply 87
It's unbelievable that people squander so much money on one day. If I get married I wouldn't consider spending anything more than a couple of grand!

They answered a few posts up. Two above you.

They think recent graduates won't have money I think the reply was.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nothing to do with money, just that it would be weird to want to get married at that age
Original post by orange crush
Nothing to do with money, just that it would be weird to want to get married at that age

Not really. I've seen a lot of friends getting married recently straight after graduation. I got married while in uni so even younger age and it's not really weird.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by abc101
It's unbelievable that people squander so much money on one day. If I get married I wouldn't consider spending anything more than a couple of grand!

The act of getting married only costs about £200. Hosting a party for lots of people costs lots of money!
As asians, the girls family pay for the first 2 days of the wedding (because they're her events) and then the boys side pay for the 3rd day ( because that's his event).

In my family, both sides split the cost for the 1st day because it's held by both families, not just the bride's, and then the 2nd day is the bride's family, and the 3rd is the groom's.
Original post by abc101

I'm guessing you're not Asian then? :lol:
It costs roughly £100 to register the marriage. We'd spend a couple hundred on the rings and then a thousand on a honeymoon.

Unfortunately, im asian and we both have a big family. I've been thinking if they want a celebration for the marriage (aka a wedding) then they are more than welcome to pay for one. I just wont be attending.

Is that wrong?
Original post by candlejsra
It costs roughly £100 to register the marriage. We'd spend a couple hundred on the rings and then a thousand on a honeymoon.

Unfortunately, im asian and we both have a big family. I've been thinking if they want a celebration for the marriage (aka a wedding) then they are more than welcome to pay for one. I just wont be attending.

Is that wrong?

Are you south Asian?
Original post by MrsMars
Are you south Asian?

Yeah me and my partner both indian
Original post by candlejsra
Yeah me and my partner both indian

Traditionally, how do you guys normally do it?
Original post by MrsMars
Traditionally, how do you guys normally do it?

I haven't been to an Indian wedding in over 10 years so can't tell you every detail but I imagine they'd want it to look something like this

: [video="youtube;o4cU1tbi3ow"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4cU1tbi3ow[/video]
I'm genuinely surprised how unaware a lot of people are in regards to how much an average wedding would cost.

Its a very expensive business, getting married!
I think both parties should pay for it, families included

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending