The Student Room Group

Becoming a doctor

What sort of A-levels do you need to do if you are going to study medicine
Really? I don't like to be mean when people are asking for advice, but this is seriously lazy. Every single medical school has a web page with its entry requirements spelled out, and there's even a TSR summary page where someone has collated all of that information for those who don't want to trawl through the individual sites. :rolleyes:
What I find is that the people who ask these kind of questions are been forced to pursue the career in question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheGeneral95
What I find is that the people who ask these kind of questions are been forced to pursue the career in question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I find them to be the type who simultaneously post in the investment banking forum and/or law forums.
Generally speaking it's the humanities and Biology. Communication skills and medical knowledge, that's the important part.

As long as you don't do art, any of the others you should be fine -> History, English Lit. etc. Good essay practicing stuff.

Some people say Chemistry is a must but you should just ignore those jokers, I've never seen any evidence that it does you any benefit in getting in. It's not like you need anything more than year nine chemistry over the course of the degree. :rolleyes:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Blorcyn

Some people say Chemistry is a must but you should just ignore those jokers, I've never seen any evidence that it does you any benefit. It's not like you need anything more than year nine chemistry over the course of the degree. :rolleyes:

It is unfortunately an entry requirement however. But I agree with you, it is entirely irrelevant to medical school and being a doctor.
i can feel the satire
Reply 7
Remember that time when let me Google that for you was a thing? Let's bring that back.
Original post by Zorg
Remember that time when let me Google that for you was a thing? Let's bring that back.

I actually very nearly did that, and then held back because I was worried it would sound too mean.. :lol:
I don't want to be treated 6/7 years from now by someone who had to ask this question. Please consider pursuing some other degree.
Original post by Blorcyn
Generally speaking it's the humanities and Biology. Communication skills and medical knowledge, that's the important part.

As long as you don't do art, any of the others you should be fine -> History, English Lit. etc. Good essay practicing stuff.

Some people say Chemistry is a must but you should just ignore those jokers, I've never seen any evidence that it does you any benefit in getting in. It's not like you need anything more than year nine chemistry over the course of the degree. :rolleyes:

Chemistry is a must-do, really.

I presume you're deliberately giving out incorrect advice...
Is there even a single university in the UK that will consider you without A level chemistry (or equivalent)? Probably not.
Deffo chemistry and biology (although some med schools allow u to drop biology) I suggest you definitely those too.
A lot of people think you have to do maths for medicine, you don't!
I do maths because I enjoy it and also, my back up is to do an engineering degree if I don't get into medicine, which means I will have doors open for me.

The other two choices are up to u.
But do not choose general studies or critical thinking and if you do choose maths, don't choose further maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending