The Student Room Group

Is C3 and C4 knowledge needed for S3 and S4

I am doing further additional maths and plan to teach myself S1-4 this summer but should I learn C3 and C4 first, in case for example you need differentiation or something in stats as I've never done stats units before.
Someone help please
Well, you don't need to know C3 C4 but you need to excel in S1 and S2 before doing S3 S4 realistically
Original post by Big Socks
I am doing further additional maths and plan to teach myself S1-4 this summer but should I learn C3 and C4 first, in case for example you need differentiation or something in stats as I've never done stats units before.
Someone help please

If you're doing it with Edexcel, then S3/S4 does not seem to have any required knowledge from C3 or C4, only stuff from S1/S2.

If it's not Edexcel then you can check the specification on the board's website - the information may be there.
Someone help please

Hi. It may depend on your exam board.

Where Edexcel is concerned, looking at the formula booklet, C1 and C2 formulae are needed for S2, but S3 and S4 do not need any of the formulae from C3 and C4.

Differentiation and integration are needed for some topics S2 but only up to C2 level.
Original post by anniepurin527
Well, you don't need to know C3 C4 but you need to excel in S1 and S2 before doing S3 S4 realistically

I will also be teaching myself S1 and S2, so obviously I have only my GCSE knowledge as I done GCSE stats. I've looked at S1, and it will only take me 3 days to learn. Taught myself C2 in 2 days, and the day after I got 97UMS in a mock.
Doe you know anything in M2-5 as I'm doing all the units this year and trying to find an order in which I should teach myself in
Original post by M.C. Math
Hi. It may depend on your exam board.

Where Edexcel is concerned, looking at the formula booklet, C1 and C2 formulae are needed for S2, but S3 and S4 do not need any of the formulae from C3 and C4.

Differentiation and integration are needed for some topics S2 but only up to C2 level.

I will also be teaching myself S1 and S2, so obviously I have only my GCSE knowledge as I done GCSE stats. I've looked at S1, and it will only take me 3 days to learn. Taught myself C2 in 2 days, and the day after I got 97UMS in a mock. Doe you know anything in M2-5 as I'm doing all the units this year and trying to find an order in which I should teach myself in. I do edexcel btw
Edexcel
Original post by SeanFM
If you're doing it with Edexcel, then S3/S4 does not seem to have any required knowledge from C3 or C4, only stuff from S1/S2.

If it's not Edexcel then you can check the specification on the board's website - the information may be there.

Thanks
Doe you know anything in M2-5 as I'm doing all the units this year and trying to find an order in which I should teach myself in. I do edexcel btw

Hi. I know some of M2, but not M3-5.

From the formula booklet:
- M2: Requires C1-C3 formulae.
- M3: Requires C1-C4 formulae.
- M4, M5: Requires C1-C4 and FP3 formulae (which in turn uses FP1 formulae; not sure why FP2 formulae aren't included)

I would recommend just working through in order, as many concepts are built on in the next module, e.g.
- M1: Linear motion with constant acceleration (SUVAT formulae)
- M2: Linear motion with variable acceleration, with respect to time, hence calculus is introduced.
Original post by M.C. Math
Hi. I know some of M2, but not M3-5.

From the formula booklet:
- M2: Requires C1-C3 formulae.
- M3: Requires C1-C4 formulae.
- M4, M5: Requires C1-C4 and FP3 formulae (which in turn uses FP1 formulae; not sure why FP2 formulae aren't included)

I would recommend just working through in order, as many concepts are built on in the next module, e.g.
- M1: Linear motion with constant acceleration (SUVAT formulae)
- M2: Linear motion with variable acceleration, with respect to time, hence calculus is introduced.

Thanks that helped a lot. Obviously I'll do M2-5 in order, but I'm doing 12 modules, so that helped as now I know I need to do C3 and C4 first and then FP3 then I can start M3. I'll do M2 beforehand. Btw Fp2 and Fp3 are unrelated. You don't need one in order to do the other. I'm going to do FP2 in class for that reason and not rush it. I plan to finish 11 units by myself in 5 months. Who thinks that's possible? At least before January at latest cos I have 2 other subjects to do worry about too, and I'll need time to polish my 12 maths units

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending