The Student Room Group

Should I reconsider applying for a Law degree?

I'm currently studying English Language, Spanish and Psychology AS Level and I am hoping to at least achieve grades ABB so that I can go to Uni of Liverpool. This is my first choice but I'm mainly just hoping to go to a Russell Group uni. I've heard Law is a rather competitive course to appy for so I was just wondering how realistic would this be for me and whether I should consider applying for a different course. Thanks :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Hello Molly, firstly I'd say that with the subjects your doing at the moment you would have no problem adjusting to a law degree. As for your grades you might find it difficult to study law at some of the higher ranking Russell Group Unis, but it would be worth looking at the different institutions requirements. what I would say is that although Russell Group Unis have a fantastic reputation that there is not a lot of difference in the uni's ranked 6th to 30th in the law league tables in regards to job prospects and from a few recent studies it can be said that the actual degree classification is more important than the Uni you got it from. As a law student myself I will say it is very rewarding and a lot of work at the same time so I would go to a lot of open days and if you can go on a few short taster courses that would be a real benefit.

apologies for the bad spelling and grammar its a bit of a rushed reply but I hope you found it helpful nonetheless . :smile:
I too am a law student. Pick sociology or something else, Law is boring as ****.

As for the grades, you will get into some of the low-tier RG unis and other non-RG unis such as Leicester, no problem.
Hi, I've got offers to study Law in September and have picked Liverpool as my insurance choice!

In terms of Russell Groups and Law then Liverpool is the lowest with entry requirements (if i remember correctly).

You could try looking at Cardiff standard offer is AAB but if you firm them they will drop a grade to ABB they say that at every Law day you go to. Originally I firmed Cardiff but changed by mind and took the gamble of putting Newcastle as my first choice.

Essex is also ABB for Law, and is a 1994 group uni. I have a friend who had an interview there and she got an offer of BBB which is good and she got Bs in her AS levels.

The only other thing I would say is that you could always do a non-law degree and then take the GDL conversion course because Russell Group unis, even the top ones have much lower entry requirements for other subjects e.g. to do politics at Bristol was ABB i think? Just depends on whether you want to actually practice law or not as the GDL would be pointless otherwise.

Hoped I could help! :smile:
Original post by sophiekerrie
Hi, I've got offers to study Law in September and have picked Liverpool as my insurance choice!

In terms of Russell Groups and Law then Liverpool is the lowest with entry requirements (if i remember correctly).

You could try looking at Cardiff standard offer is AAB but if you firm them they will drop a grade to ABB they say that at every Law day you go to. Originally I firmed Cardiff but changed by mind and took the gamble of putting Newcastle as my first choice.

Essex is also ABB for Law, and is a 1994 group uni. I have a friend who had an interview there and she got an offer of BBB which is good and she got Bs in her AS levels.

The only other thing I would say is that you could always do a non-law degree and then take the GDL conversion course because Russell Group unis, even the top ones have much lower entry requirements for other subjects e.g. to do politics at Bristol was ABB i think? Just depends on whether you want to actually practice law or not as the GDL would be pointless otherwise.

Hoped I could help! :smile:

As for Newcastle, it's a very good uni for law and I know people who have got in there after missing their offer. Don't think of it as a risk.

And good luck!
Original post by callum_law
As for Newcastle, it's a very good uni for law and I know people who have got in there after missing their offer. Don't think of it as a risk.

And good luck!

Thanks! I absolutely fell in love with it when I went to the open day so changed my decision even though it was a lot of hassle haha! I feel so much happier though and don't regret changing at all!
Hi my predicted grades for next year are BBB, I know I can get ABB which is Liverpool's entry requirement and it is also what Sheffield would offer (because I am on an outreach programme which lowers the entry requirements)

However, with BBB will I get offers for ABB Law courses?? Also would it be a gamble to put Newcastle down (which is AAA)?????

I'm also looking at Northumbria (BBB) and Leicester (AAB)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending