The Student Room Group

Can I still get 2:1?

Hi I basically got a really low 3rd in my second year (49%) which is 30% of the overall grade. My first year counts however and got 63% in that which counts for 10%. Is it still possible for me to get a 2:1? I understand that I will need to get around 65%+ in 3rd year. Is this doable?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What is the course? it is doable but you really need to be on your game to guarantee a 2:1.
Reply 2
Original post by Bill_Gates
What is the course? it is doable but you really need to be on your game to guarantee a 2:1.

Im doing Economics. Thank you. Im really planning to work my ass off next school year. I have lost interest in my course last year hence I didnt so well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iamsuperjai
Im doing Economics. Thank you. Im really planning to work my ass off next school year. I have lost interest in my course last year hence I didnt so well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool, i studied economics. Basically you really need to know your theory. The tips i would give:

1. Go straight for the hard stuff (don't be scared)
2. Always use your lecturers office hours to discuss exam techniques, potential topics to revise and extra work/recommendations
3. Read outside of your subject area as much as possible as this may aid you in the exams
4. Do as many past papers as possible
5. Have revision notes made WAY before the exam

that's it really, you should be ok! good luck!
Reply 4
Hi I basically got a really low 3rd in my second year (49%) which is 30% of the overall grade. My first year counts however and got 63% in that which counts for 10%. Is it still possible for me to get a 2:1? I understand that I will need to get around 65%+ in 3rd year. Is this doable?

Posted from TSR Mobile

if my maths is correct, in your final 60% of your degree, you'll need an average of 65 to pull you up to the overall 60 that you'll need for a 2.1 :smile:

that's certainly doable, and perhaps your department may be a little lenient if you end up just below the grade boundary.
it isn't massively uncommon to find instances where somebody with 58-59 gets their grade bumped up to a 2.1 anyway.

however i believe in such instances you likely need to have demonstrated your capability to achieve a 2.1 grade fairly frequently.
so if for instance in most of your final year exams you got 60+, but you still didn't manage to pull yourself back up to a 2.1, you might get given one anyway if you're close due to a demonstration in your final year that you can get that level of grade :smile:

this is of course in no way trying to give you false hope - instances like this vary wildly and will totally depend on the university and department you study under, in addition to the overall year group results and maybe just the kind of mood some of the higher ups happen to be on the day they give out results :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

49% is a high 3rd. How is it really low?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending