The Student Room Group

Transformation discussion thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by miser
Thanks, that makes sense. Convict Conditioning looks a bit suspicious though - the guy claims he can do 12 one-armed handstand press ups? Reviews of it seem mixed.

I've only ever heard good things about it, never looked into it though cause I don't have a god damn kindle.
Reply 781
Weighed 68.2kg this morning. Think I had failed to consider that eating hugely different amounts will mean more than normal variance at different points in the week. I might just stop weighing myself for now and make sure to eat a little less on high calorie days if I know I've been less active

Also realised a high carb maintenance calorie day every week isa must for me cutting in future, goes a long way to stopping performance tanking. I used to do that but somehow forgot
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
You do it while you eat the pop tart

Posted from TSR Mobile

I like to hold one in each hand :mmm:
Original post by miser
Thanks, that makes sense. Convict Conditioning looks a bit suspicious though - the guy claims he can do 12 one-armed handstand press ups? Reviews of it seem mixed.

With discipline and training there is no doubt you can too. But it takes a while, at least this will set you off to what you are looking for which is as you said, functional strength. Soon enough you can branch off to other areas of callisthenics.
Reply 784
Original post by S-man10
With discipline and training there is no doubt you can too. But it takes a while, at least this will set you off to what you are looking for which is as you said, functional strength. Soon enough you can branch off to other areas of callisthenics.

But one-armed handstand pressups are crazily difficult - I didn't know anyone could even do one, let alone 12. I've just YouTubed it and no one on the videos I clicked on could do one with good form. The closest was a guy who hit his head on a towel he laid down.

Of course, this doesn't say anything about the method itself. To be honest, the only thing that puts me off is how easy the exercises start off and how slow the progression is.
The principles behind that book are good, but there are better non-book ways of going about training like that, all without following some flawed cookie-cutter style of programming and progression.

What I'd recommend is pick one hard long term pulling goal (e.g. one arm chinups) and pushing goal (e.g full ROM handstand pushups) and do your research on how to program and progress. Leave ego at door and focus on quality/long term progression.
Also work on your max leg strength with squats, but also make sure you have the mobility to do pistol squats, then eventually add plyometrics as discussed before and become good.
Reply 786

Spoiler

Quick workout done. Couldnt really be asked today felt lazy
I haven't posted in a few days because I've not been eating properly :/ I had a bannana for lunch twice and felt sick when I tried eating more and was only getting 600-800 calories for a few days.. I did join the gym and take a swiss ball and yoga class though!! :smile:

Anyways, I've been to the doctors and I have a chest infection so I'm on antibiotics and medicine.. I have managed to eat a banana and yogurt for breakfast, quorn chicken pieces in pasta sauce with green beans for lunch and a jacket potatoe tuna beetroot and cherry tomatoes for tea so st least I'm getting back to eating normally again :smile: I've got no idea if I'll be the same weight or less on Saturday when I weigh myself but I'm just going to focus on eating healthily and getting better for now before I go back to exercising..
Reply 788
Original post by TooEasy123
The principles behind that book are good, but there are better non-book ways of going about training like that, all without following some flawed cookie-cutter style of programming and progression.

What I'd recommend is pick one hard long term pulling goal (e.g. one arm chinups) and pushing goal (e.g full ROM handstand pushups) and do your research on how to program and progress. Leave ego at door and focus on quality/long term progression.
Also work on your max leg strength with squats, but also make sure you have the mobility to do pistol squats, then eventually add plyometrics as discussed before and become good.

Thanks for your advice. :smile:
Original post by miser
But one-armed handstand pressups are crazily difficult - I didn't know anyone could even do one, let alone 12. I've just YouTubed it and no one on the videos I clicked on could do one with good form. The closest was a guy who hit his head on a towel he laid down.

Of course, this doesn't say anything about the method itself. To be honest, the only thing that puts me off is how easy the exercises start off and how slow the progression is.

Thats why I mentioned the dedication and the discipline. Anything worth having comes slow. The reason why you don't see a lot of that is because press is slow and there wasn't a good system for progression before. Its important you don't skip any steps and you take your time. By step 3 the there isn't an easy anymore. Check our guys doing one arm pulls ups. Have a look at the Kavadlo brothers. They are pretty popular calisthenics teachers
Is gymshark gear really worth it?
Original post by S-man10
Is gymshark gear really worth it?

No it's extortionate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BKS
Weighed 68.2kg this morning. Think I had failed to consider that eating hugely different amounts will mean more than normal variance at different points in the week. I might just stop weighing myself for now and make sure to eat a little less on high calorie days if I know I've been less active

Also realised a high carb maintenance calorie day every week isa must for me cutting in future, goes a long way to stopping performance tanking. I used to do that but somehow forgot

I think a 7 day moving average is best if you would like to track your weight over a period of time. There are potential day to day deviations but you can't argue if the average is cutting down after every 7 day average.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 793
Original post by jam277
I think a 7 day moving average is best if you would like to track your weight over a period of time. There are potential day to day deviations but you can't argue if the average is cutting down after every 7 day average.

I usually average two days at the weekend but I'd not have time to do more often, on work days I need to start eating pretty much as soon as I get up
Try Athlean Xero or Madbarz.
As suspected visiting home is really setting me back. Apart from portion size I have no control over my food, difficult to know how much I'm eating in terms of calories. My family tends to use a lot of oil and butter when cooking.
Original post by SophieSmall
As suspected visiting home is really setting me back. Apart from portion size I have no control over my food, difficult to know how much I'm eating in terms of calories. My family tends to use a lot of oil and butter when cooking.

Easiest thing is to have v small carb portions-if the carb source is a side.
Original post by earthworm
Easiest thing is to have v small carb portions-if the carb source is a side.

Even a small carb portion is usually 2-300+ calories, which is a large chunk of my daily allowance. But it's mainly the oil that's the problem. I'd cook for the family myself but my mum is stupidly fussy, and can't afford to cook seperate meals as visiting home has cost me my food budget allowance already :frown:

On the upside, going to play tennis with my sister.
Reply 798
Original post by SophieSmall
Even a small carb portion is usually 2-300+ calories, which is a large chunk of my daily allowance. But it's mainly the oil that's the problem. I'd cook for the family myself but my mum is stupidly fussy, and can't afford to cook seperate meals as visiting home has cost me my food budget allowance already :frown:

On the upside, going to play tennis with my sister.

I know you like to count your calories but use the portion size method while youre at home...it will save you the alot of the hassle and setbacks. If you need help figuring it out pm me! Have been doing it for ages now :tongue:
Original post by a10
I know you like to count your calories but use the portion size method while youre at home...it will save you the alot of the hassle and setbacks. If you need help figuring it out pm me! Have been doing it for ages now :tongue:

I know how to do portions, but let's be honest you're on a lot more calories than me a day, so you can get away with not being accurate and going off of portions. Even with small portion sizes it's difficult for me trying to fit everything in to 1000 calories a day when I have no control over how it's cooked. Oil has 60 calories per teaspoon, it really adds up. I don't use oil at all when I cook.

Quick Reply

Latest