The Student Room Group

Lying on my CV to cover me leaving early

Hi guys I hope I'm posting on the correct forum for this. I have a couple questions about P45s, P46s and CV history.

So to start with I recently started work at a call centre in June. I was given 3 weeks training off-phone then I was on shift by July. Long story short, the job was god awful and I hated every minute of it, so I left. I had the money and I have experience elsewhere so it wasn't much of a big deal.

My Problem is this, before that job my previous job ended in February 2015 and I was a few months unemployed before I started the call centre in June (I didn't take JSA as i had money). To fill this gap from February to June, I somewhat embellished my CV by saying I did unpaid voluntary work for my fathers business. He suggested just putting voluntary work to avoid any trouble.

So now I have a decision to make but I'm not sure how to go about it. Here are the options I've identified-

-Option A: I pretend that the call centre I left inexplicably just never happened at all and if at interview I'm asked about this tax years P45 i can just do a P46 and say I worked volunteer for my father

Option B: Deliberately use last years P45 tax code and pretend I didn't know if asked at interview

Option C: be honest and put the call centre on my CV from June to July and use the call centres P45, prompting questions as to why I left

Which should i go for here? And I need to know if for whatever reason I decide to not put the call centre on there, will I need a p45 from my fathers business even if it was unpaid volunteer?

And I know this could be seen as dishonest but unfortunately honesty doesn't get you anywhere in most businesses and things like this do matter. If I put a call centre for one month on there, questions will be asked and will throw my application into doubt if they find out I just "didn't like it". Another suggestion I've seen before is I could tell them I left after one month to go travelling OR to return to help my fathers growing business.

What do you guys suggest?
Reply 1
as long as you're good at lying and can do so consistently, you can do whatever you want with stuff like this - unless you mess up your story, are utterly unconvincing or you're applying for very specific jobs, nobody will give enough of a dick to look into it

honestly though, you may as well tell the truth for this one - instead of saying you simply "didn't like it", explain that it wasn't what you were looking for at the time, you wanted to work on some projects at home, felt the job was missold-blah blah blah you get the picture

as long as you have an actual line of reasoning, speak clearly and confidently about it and don't get nervous (it'll come across like you aren't sure it what you're saying which oft translates into interviewers not knowing whether to believe you or not) it shouldn't matter in the slightest

gl

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending