The Student Room Group

Part-time employment while at university

(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by sticky.rib
I have been looking for a part time job since to moving to university in Sep 2022 (having left my job at a supermarket) since the move I have been unable to find a part time job or even be accepted for a voluntary role

My family are unsupportive and frankly do not care - the only advice they have given me is - that it is probably my CV - which I have got checked countless times by employment services at the uni

It is getting really bad now - I can't afford to really do anything at all - no savings or anything - I don't have anywhere to live once my tenancy runs out (may 2025) and am really stressed that I will be homeless (as I can't seem to find a job and don't have any savings or family that can afford to look after me)

Does anyone have an advice on how to get a job quick?

I have applied everywhere over and over again but never get any response (my last interview was last summer) its incredibly stressful and lonely. I just want to do something meaningful and actually get out of the flat for something other than uni.

Sorry to hear you are finding it difficult to secure some part-time work. Have you looked into if your university have student ambassadors and becoming one? Sometimes there are different ambassadors that look after different roles i.e some work open days, some work for their subject as an ambassador, and others support with recruitment campaigns that universities run.

When I was a student and looking for part-time work, I printed off my CV and cover letters and took them round the city into cafes, bars, shops and restaurants that I knew had vacancies. I know I could have applied online for most of them, but by dropping in and introducing myself, it gave me a chance to leave a positive impression with the business along with my interest in the role. I was successful and got a waitress position in a local cafe, where I then went on to become a manager at during my last year of university.

I would also say that a lot more vacancies become available during certain times of the year, usually around the end of the academic year when university students leave to move back home, and around key holiday periods.

It may also be worth speaking to your wellbeing team at your university for advice around money and your concerns around post-tenancy and they should be able to give you some advice and support.

Are there any societies at your university that you would be interested in joining? They are a great way of meeting new people and doing things outside of your studies 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending