The Student Room Group

Diagnostic Radiography 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by n.s.k98
Did anyone go to the radiography 'new starters event' last Friday at Hertfordshire uni? How was it?

Yes
Original post by baz1998
yeah and i did a days clinical visit at the hospital observing a radiographer, this is compulsory but u would do it closer to the time

why is it compulsory
Original post by n.s.k98
Did anyone go to the radiography 'new starters event' last Friday at Hertfordshire uni? How was it?

no it was fully booked so I couldn't
Original post by Anonnnne
why is it compulsory

part of the entry criteria for most unis
Original post by Anonnnne
why is it compulsory

Due to the incredibly competitive nature of most healthcare degrees and the expense of running the course (it generally isn't really a money maker of a course for any uni as far as I know), they want to minimise attrition rates (which are high), therefore they want people to have an idea of what radiographers do beforehand, and what it involves.
Hi everyone Im starting at CCCU Medway Campus in April next year (nice campus, dodgy area and I should know having lived in it for years). Just wanted to know if there's anyone else out there on TSR doing the same. Seems like forever until it all begins so chatting with someone else might be nice and etop me driving the wife and kids totally mad.
Original post by FXX
To be honest, you've already gone through two very different professions, and now you're looking at a third. I would strongly recommend you get some decent work experience under your belt before looking to apply (you need at least a day anyway, but more is better) to make sure it is what you want to do.

Clearing is an option but radiography is EXTREMELY competitive - particularly this year where it is the last year of NHS funding in England - so there will be plenty of other people going through clearing who have got the experience and have tailored applications. Your personal statement will need to be aimed at radiography and you would need to demonstrate you know what qualities make a good radiographer and how you meet them.

The radiography degree is challenging. Obviously it's not medicine, but you'll soon fall behind if you don't pay attention. The physics side of things can throw people off track.

Hi hope you can help. I have a place for next April at CCCU. Youu mentioned Physics which has been concerning me and Ive been thinkng about study to prepare for this (along with revising my Anatomy and Physiology from the IGSE I took in Human Biology). Which areas of Physics would it be useful to get a grounding in? Thanks for any suggestions you may have.
Reply 2467
Original post by Chasdad
Hi hope you can help. I have a place for next April at CCCU. Youu mentioned Physics which has been concerning me and Ive been thinkng about study to prepare for this (along with revising my Anatomy and Physiology from the IGSE I took in Human Biology). Which areas of Physics would it be useful to get a grounding in? Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

CCCU teaches the physics from a really basic level so I wouldn't worry too much about getting ahead of the game. I reckon if you know the structure of an atom and the concept of electron shells and binding energy to even the most basic level, you'll be ready for the first physics lectures. If you research beyond that you run the risk of confusing yourself before you've even started.
Original post by FXX
CCCU teaches the physics from a really basic level so I wouldn't worry too much about getting ahead of the game. I reckon if you know the structure of an atom and the concept of electron shells and binding energy to even the most basic level, you'll be ready for the first physics lectures. If you research beyond that you run the risk of confusing yourself before you've even started.

Thanks I will go with that advice.
Anyone who got in to st Georges, south bank or city university did you do get in with btec?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What is happening for funding for 2017 entry?

Will the funding removal affect competitiveness of this course?
It is possible that the replacement of the bursary with a loan will cut the number of people applying.

In my eyes, the removal of the bursary is a travesty though, we need healthcare professionals, and radiography (like other healthcare courses) is much more intense than most other university courses. Asking people to take out a loan to pay to work for free for half of their course is as ridiculous as it sounds. At least some nursing students are able to work in their placement site over holidays and such to make a bit of cash.
how much biology is involved in this degree compared to chemistry maths and physics?

thanks
Reply 2473
Original post by moe889
how much biology is involved in this degree compared to chemistry maths and physics?

thanks

A lot.
Original post by FXX
A lot.

what year are you in now and which uni do you go?
Reply 2475
Original post by moe889
what year are you in now and which uni do you go?

I qualified 4 years ago and went to CCCU
whos done btec applied science and got in to radiography which units did you do?
Barely any chemistry. I spoke to a cardiff student on my placement
heyy,

who has sent their application yet?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ABChandni123
heyy,

who has sent their application yet?

Hi
Here is the diagnostic radiography 2017 thread. I'm applying for Sept 2017 entry for the bsc.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4335506&p=68340816&page=4#post68340816

Quick Reply

Latest