The Student Room Group

Why did god make so many stars?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by igotyourback
Are you even reading what I write?

I am trying, but you aren't saying very much. I think I got it: you believe in god, he made the stars, you don't really care why, and you don't want to consider the rationale of it spelled out in the bible - other than "let there be light".

Hmm, if I remember rightly Bon Scott said that.

However, you don't seem to want a serious discussion, so perhaps we can leave it at that, for you. Anyone else?
Original post by typonaut
So are you saying that you accept the big bang theory, and that the stars/planets were created by the underlying physics, rather than by god?

You do know that even the Catholic Church, that famously hip, modern, pro-science organisation, has been happily on board with the Big Bang theory since 1951?

Indeed it is the preferred theory among Christians as it leaves ample room for a creator god, unlike static or oscillating universe theories.

You are largely importing an American debate where the religious orthodoxy evolved from Puritanism, which like ISIS was all about the literal truth of scripture. No Christian in the Old World believes, or has ever believed, that the world was literally created in seven days in 4000 BC.
Reply 22
Original post by scrotgrot
You do know that even the Catholic Church, that famously hip, modern, pro-science organisation, has been happily on board with the Big Bang theory since 1951?

Indeed it is the preferred theory among Christians as it leaves ample room for a creator god, unlike static or oscillating universe theories.

I'm not sure that you answered the same question that I asked. Which was:

So are you saying that you accept the big bang theory, and that the stars/planets were created by the underlying physics, rather than by god?

You go on to say:

You are largely importing an American debate where the religious orthodoxy evolved from Puritanism, which like ISIS was all about the literal truth of scripture. No Christian in the Old World believes, or has ever believed, that the world was literally created in seven days in 4000 BC.

I don't believe that at all, I am certain that there are christians throughout Europe, Asia and Africa who literally do believe that the world was created in seven days, in 4,000BC. We know that at least one christian believed that, and the probability is that many attempted to work this out in various ways:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dating_creation

However, this is absolutely beside the point - I'm not interested in what any religion says about the date of creation, what I'm interested in is what they say about the number of stars and galaxies there are. I'm particularly interested, given "igotyourback's" intervention, whether any religions support the notion that there may be life on other planets, and how that concept is manifested in that religion's core texts.
I don't believe that at all, I am certain that there are christians throughout Europe, Asia and Africa who literally do believe that the world was created in seven days, in 4,000BC. We know that at least one christian believed that, and the probability is that many attempted to work this out in various ways:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dating_creation

However, this is absolutely beside the point - I'm not interested in what any religion says about the date of creation, what I'm interested in is what they say about the number of stars and galaxies there are. I'm particularly interested, given "igotyourback's" intervention, whether any religions support the notion that there may be life on other planets, and how that concept is manifested in that religion's core texts.

No, there aren't really any. Maybe Africa, they do seem to be a bit more fundie. Sure some priests tried tracking back the dates and working it out but that's just Bible study as much as anything.

Christianity doesn't as far as I know make any assertions ruling out, postulating or asserting the existence of life on other planets. Heliocentrism was around in Ancient Greece but nobody had really thought yet that stars might be other suns, so I don't see how they could have tackled the question of life on other planets in the Bible.

I don't see why you are saying things like

because that's not a radical or contradictory position in Christianity at all. Unlike Islam, where there is a strong current of thought that says the word of God is the literal unalterable truth, there is a slightly more subtle analysis allowed for with the Bible where things like metaphor, myth etc are recognised and read as such.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 25
No, there aren't really any. Maybe Africa, they do seem to be a bit more fundie. Sure some priests tried tracking back the dates and working it out but that's just Bible study as much as anything.

I don't get it. You say christians have never believed this, but then you give examples of christians who obviously did believe it.

Christianity doesn't as far as I know make any assertions ruling out, postulating or asserting the existence of life on other planets. Heliocentrism was around in Ancient Greece but nobody had really thought yet that stars might be other suns, so I don't see how they could have tackled the question of life on other planets in the Bible.

Weren't Copernicus and Gallileo considered heretics by at least some christians?

I think that there are plenty of christians who believe that their religious texts do comment on things that were unknown to science at the time they were written, or are yet to come. I've had JWs tell me that the bible says that the earth is a sphere, for example (couldn't tell me where though), or that the bible foretells the "end times".

I don't see why you are saying things like…

because that's not a radical or contradictory position in Christianity at all. Unlike Islam, where there is a strong current of thought that says the word of God is the literal unalterable truth, there is a slightly more subtle analysis allowed for with the Bible where things like metaphor, myth etc are recognised and read as such.

So, in your christian interpretation, god did not create the galaxies and stars (and thus did not create the earth either)? These are just stories told in the past by people who could not explain things in a scientific/rational way?
I don't get it. You say christians have never believed this, but then you give examples of christians who obviously did believe it.

No, I said there weren't any Christians in Europe who believe it now. Of course there are some I guess, but none that are worth worrying about.

Literalism has gone back and forth throughout the centuries, but even then just because some archbishop traces back the events in the Bible and creates a timeline doesn't mean he actually believes in a young Earth necessarily.

Weren't Copernicus and Gallileo considered heretics by at least some christians?

Of course, but that was at least 1500 years after heliocentrism was postulated in Ancient Greece. Early Christians may well have been heliocentrists or may not have been, depending on how durable those Greek ideas had been. Either way, the Bible doesn't say one way or the other. The earth is privileged in the narrative, but it's not really surprising when the thing was written by ancient peoples who lived on the earth.

I think that there are plenty of christians who believe that their religious texts do comment on things that were unknown to science at the time they were written, or are yet to come. I've had JWs tell me that the bible says that the earth is a sphere, for example (couldn't tell me where though), or that the bible foretells the "end times".

Yeah fair Jehovah's Witnesses can be pretty crazy. Unsurprisingly, it is an American denomination.

I suppose you could argue that the line "the earth was without form" (before God got to work on it) implies that it was God who gave it form - and we observe that its form is spherical. The Bible clearly does foretell the end times, there's a whole book about it at the end. Whether it's correct or not or whether these prophesied end times already happened long ago in ancient times is a matter Christian believers and theologians have spent almost the whole 2000 years debating, but there's no doubt it foretells end times of one sort or another.

So these are not fantastically weighty objections.

Trying to claim the Bible is revelatory of scientific discoveries is not really something I associate with Christianity at all, that's more Islam where as I say the literalism thing is a much bigger deal.

So, in your christian interpretation, god did not create the galaxies and stars (and thus did not create the earth either)? These are just stories told in the past by people who could not explain things in a scientific/rational way?

Pretty much the second bit yeah. I'm not a Christian, but normal Christians and even the Catholic Church clearly believe it basically happened according to the Big Bang and Gen 1 is just a nice story. Which makes sense because the creation story is clearly a myth, as opposed to other books which common sense leads one to read variously as law codes, histories, prophecies, accounts, revelations etc.

God did create the stars for what it's worth: Genesis 1:14 refers to God putting the stars in heaven:

"And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years [...]"

which seeing as the light, the day and night had already been accounted for sounds like stars to me, I guess the moon too and any other celestial bodies.

This comes after such things as heaven, the land and sea, and even animals.
(edited 8 years ago)
Bc he wanted to make sure that the children of this Earth had a lot of guidance.

Hail the stars. :adore:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by Adammartin95
I guess this suggests to us that our universe has been here for a very very long time :wink:

Specifically 13 billion years (as far as I know and if not mistaken).
To remind us how small and insignificant we are. And that's fine by me.
Reply 30
No, I said there weren't any Christians in Europe who believe it now. Of course there are some I guess, but none that are worth worrying about.

No, you wrote:

No Christian in the Old World believes, or has ever believed, that the world was literally created in seven days in 4000 BC.

So, that is wrong, you now agree?

Literalism has gone back and forth throughout the centuries, but even then just because some archbishop traces back the events in the Bible and creates a timeline doesn't mean he actually believes in a young Earth necessarily.

C'mon, that is nonsense - if someone didn't believe in the hypothesis why would they go through the process of trying to prove it? I can understand someone trying to disprove it, but it doesn't work the other way around.

Of course, but that was at least 1500 years after heliocentrism was postulated in Ancient Greece. Early Christians may well have been heliocentrists or may not have been, depending on how durable those Greek ideas had been. Either way, the Bible doesn't say one way or the other. The earth is privileged in the narrative, but it's not really surprising when the thing was written by ancient peoples who lived on the earth.

But it was the church, in Europe, that called them heretics - why does it matter that the beliefs that stemmed from that were much older?

Trying to claim the Bible is revelatory of scientific discoveries is not really something I associate with Christianity at all, that's more Islam where as I say the literalism thing is a much bigger deal.

Well you are offering up the christian argument, I'm just trying to understand it. If someone wants to make some other argument then we can debate that too.

Pretty much the second bit yeah. I'm not a Christian, but normal Christians and even the Catholic Church clearly believe it basically happened according to the Big Bang and Gen 1 is just a nice story. Which makes sense because the creation story is clearly a myth, as opposed to other books which common sense leads one to read variously as law codes, histories, prophecies, accounts, revelations etc.

Ok, god didn't create the stars then?

God did create the stars for what it's worth: Genesis 1:14 refers to God putting the stars in heaven: which seeing as the light, the day and night had already been accounted for sounds like stars to me, I guess the moon too and any other celestial bodies.

This comes after such things as heaven, the land and sea, and even animals.

I think I can cite Genesis, or Bon Scott, but I'm not putting either forward as explanations for the number of stars in the universe. Are you?
Reply 31
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
To remind us how small and insignificant we are. And that's fine by me.

So, he peers into the future and realises that we are going to be able to develop the science that can start counting all those stars? And they are there just to remind us of our place on Earth?

Are there planets and other civilisations around these stars?

If he was peering into the future couldn't he tell that creating the devil was a bad idea? Or that Eve was going to be a naughty girl? Or even that he should have designed people so that they shouldn't create/follow other religions?
No, you wrote:

So, that is wrong, you now agree?

Ok fair, but literalism was never as popular or lasted as long as more liberal interpretations.

C'mon, that is nonsense - if someone didn't believe in the hypothesis why would they go through the process of trying to prove it? I can understand someone trying to disprove it, but it doesn't work the other way around.

An historian might very well do the same thing, using the Bible as a source to create a history of the Jewish people, using other accounts to corroborate events, people and dates, just as Ussher did. Doesn't mean the historian believes that that's literally the age of the earth.

An ardent Harry Potter fan might comb through the book and construct a timeline of events. Doesn't mean they believe HP is real, they just like it and are interested.

But it was the church, in Europe, that called them heretics - why does it matter that the beliefs that stemmed from that were much older?

Because the Church changed quite as much - more actually - between when the Bible was written and Cop and Gal as between Cop and Gal and 1951 when for example it decided to accept the big bang.

Well you are offering up the christian argument, I'm just trying to understand it. If someone wants to make some other argument then we can debate that too.

Ok, god didn't create the stars then?

Well if we say he created a universe with the sorts of initial conditions that would mean stars would one day appear I think that's a compromise that keeps everyone happy :smile:

I think I can cite Genesis, or Bon Scott, but I'm not putting either forward as explanations for the number of stars in the universe. Are you?

No, I'm putting it forward as scriptural evidence in a theological debate. You want me to tell you whether Christians (should) believe God made the stars or not, well I've looked it up and here's what the Bible has to say on the subject.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 33
because while he was busy not existing, he needed to create reasons why the bible was bull****, so he created loads of stars to imply that the earth's age *isn't* 6000 years old based on the lightyears between the stars and the earth. what a silly goose...also, he needed them to suggest that the writers of the bible didn't understand that "the stars" and "the sun" are essentially the same things, because the bible makes the distinction, like you'd expect any kind of lame-ass mortal to do
So, he peers into the future and realises that we are going to be able to develop the science that can start counting all those stars? And they are there just to remind us of our place on Earth?

If he was peering into the future couldn't he tell that creating the devil was a bad idea? Or that Eve was going to be a naughty girl? Or even that he should have designed people so that they shouldn't create/follow other religions?

Yup that sounds like the kind of thing God would and can do.

The devil, Eve and free will are massively important in understanding the "problem of evil" which underpins the entire concept of Christian faith.

It doesn't mean much if God just creates a race of automata whose evey decision is pre-ordained so that they only worship him and can't sin. It's no fun and not much of an experiment.

This was what humanity was like before Eve did her thing. Adam and Eve were innocent, they didn't have self-awareness or "the knowledge of good and evil", they couldn't sin even if they harmed an animal or a tree as they didn't have self-awareness.

Clearly this isn't very interesting for God so you had the whole serpent and tree set-up and thus God began his great experiment with giving some of his creations free will and seeing what he had to do to make them still want to worship him.
Reply 35
An ardent Harry Potter fan might comb through the book and construct a timeline of events. Doesn't mean they believe HP is real, they just like it and are interested.

Ok, now I'm with you, equating the books of Harry Potter with the books of the bible. Got it.

Dude I was going to ignore this now and just go to bed but seriously? Firstly, kudos on your funny little way of looking at things, it's cute. Secondly, FREE WILL. It's reason why the "devil" exists, Eve was "a naughty girl" and one can choose to follow other religions. Just because these things seem terrible right now doesn't mean that ther isn't a plan working its course. Free will is also the reason why faith exists and I'm quite happy about that because that's sorta a fundamental part of my religion.

BTW, the devil is simply what they call the absence of God. It's a horrid little condition caused by hardening of the heart :frown: Ummm... maybe you'll understand it better if I put it like this- just like cold is the absence of heat, it doesn't mean that heat creates cold now does it? Now exchange heat for God and "the devil" for cold. Get it?

I'll consider replying to your other thing if you want me to tomorrow. Message me to remind me! Good night now.

May God bless you.
Reply 37
Original post by flamboy
because while he was busy not existing, he needed to create reasons why the bible was bull****, so he created loads of stars to imply that the earth's age *isn't* 6000 years old based on the lightyears between the stars and the earth. what a silly goose...also, he needed them to suggest that the writers of the bible didn't understand that "the stars" and "the sun" are essentially the same things, because the bible makes the distinction, like you'd expect any kind of lame-ass mortal to do

Do you know what a flam is?

Anyway. I expect Palaeolithic humans had a pretty good grip on the distinction between the sun and the stars, without the bible needing to tell them, don't you?

Or did you mean something else?
Ok, now I'm with you, equating the books of Harry Potter with the books of the bible. Got it.

Don't be facile. You're determined to pick a fight with me hahaha
So, he peers into the future and realises that we are going to be able to develop the science that can start counting all those stars?

He doesn't peep into the future, he is the future.

And they are there just to remind us of our place on Earth?

Of course not.

How am I supposed to know? Ask scientists.

All part of the plan. He is not an oppressive overlord, he let's us make free choices and trust that we make the right ones. Wouldn't you want a god you can believe in to be just like that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending