The Student Room Group

Anyone applying to Juilliard?

I'm applying for the BFA in acting for 2016 entry. This is the school for me, I feel an incredibly strong attraction to how they teach and operate and the school as a whole, I HAVE to go there.

Just wondering if there's anyone else from the UK on here who's applying?
Hi, I'm from Bahrain, not from the UK, but I'm also applying to Juilliard this year!
Except I'm applying for Bachelors in Voice. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Ali Adenwala
Hi, I'm from Bahrain, not from the UK, but I'm also applying to Juilliard this year!
Except I'm applying for Bachelors in Voice. :smile:

Cool!! How's your application coming along? I'm eagerly awaiting my pre-screening results.. should be coming in at literally any time now!!!!
Original post by streether
Cool!! How's your application coming along? I'm eagerly awaiting my pre-screening results.. should be coming in at literally any time now!!!!

Oh wow you've already sent in your pre-screenings? I'll be recording mine in the beginning of November, but I guess it wouldn't have been possible earlier since my music academy is closed during the summer. Best of luck though :biggrin: hope you get called back for an audition!!

How's your entrance essay coming along though? I know for music I've been assigned "Do you believe that artists are conduits for art, or its creators?" but I'm not sure if its the same for Drama.

I'm finding the whole process a bit stressful though because I'm applying for Music in the US but also for History in the UK :') so both processes together seem a lot to manage.
Reply 4
Oh wow you've already sent in your pre-screenings? I'll be recording mine in the beginning of November, but I guess it wouldn't have been possible earlier since my music academy is closed during the summer. Best of luck though :biggrin: hope you get called back for an audition!!

How's your entrance essay coming along though? I know for music I've been assigned "Do you believe that artists are conduits for art, or its creators?" but I'm not sure if its the same for Drama.

I'm finding the whole process a bit stressful though because I'm applying for Music in the US but also for History in the UK :') so both processes together seem a lot to manage.

Yeah, I applied last year quite late on and it ended up being rushed and not even close to my best work. Didn't get called over. This year it's 1000x better though so my fingers are crossed!! Started working on it in June with a coach - absolutely determined to do everything in my power to get in this year, especially because of the 2 time application limit. Does your course have that?

What've you got to record for yours? Our essay was "Please write about why you have chosen to become an actor and your personal artistic goals. We encourage you to write frankly and openly about your life, your connection to your art, and how you see your art connecting to the world. Share your passion about people or politics or other art forms or about anything that speaks to you." I submitted it with my essay 2 weeks ago. Really happy with it, although struggled with the 2 page limit. I love your essay question though!! How are you going with it?

Ohh gosh yeah! Stressful! Where are you applying here in the UK?

Currently going nuts waiting for my results.. it was 2 weeks a few days ago which is how long they say it should take...
Reply 5
Original post by san13
hey, i'm not applying or anything but was just wondering on how you got on with your application! have you heard back now!?

Hi! Unfortunately they didn't call me for a recall over to the states. I was obviously disappointed, but not as for up as I thought I'd be. My coach and I gave it our best go, we both felt we couldn't be happier with the work we sent over, and so there's not really much else I could've wanted! Thanks for asking though! Are you thinking of applying? I may not have gotten in, but there's a crap load of research I did that I could pass on to you if you like?
Reply 6
Original post by san13
Oh no thats a real shame, i'm sorry to hear that! Like you said though, you were happy with what you sent over and thats all you can ask for really! And nope I'm not applying! I just came across this thread and wanted to know how you got on! I applied to some music colleges/academies here and got accepted in to them :smile: Thanks for the offer of help though! Have you decided on applying to any drama schools/unis here to do acting/theatre studies instead?

Cool, where'd you get in to??
I've got a LAMDA audition coming up this month, but in the last few weeks there have been some other opportunities that've opened up that exist outside official education, so I'm working hard on those at the moment, too.
Reply 7
Oh, that's funny, ACM is quite near to me! I know a few people who ended up going there. Exciting if it comes off!! I'll be trying to produce some projects, all dramatic but some different mediums. I'm starting work on it this week now that everyone is off holidays.
Original post by streether
Yeah, I applied last year quite late on and it ended up being rushed and not even close to my best work. Didn't get called over. This year it's 1000x better though so my fingers are crossed!! Started working on it in June with a coach - absolutely determined to do everything in my power to get in this year, especially because of the 2 time application limit. Does your course have that?

What've you got to record for yours? Our essay was "Please write about why you have chosen to become an actor and your personal artistic goals. We encourage you to write frankly and openly about your life, your connection to your art, and how you see your art connecting to the world. Share your passion about people or politics or other art forms or about anything that speaks to you." I submitted it with my essay 2 weeks ago. Really happy with it, although struggled with the 2 page limit. I love your essay question though!! How are you going with it?

Ohh gosh yeah! Stressful! Where are you applying here in the UK?

Currently going nuts waiting for my results.. it was 2 weeks a few days ago which is how long they say it should take...

I actually never applied in the end! The same thing happened to me, I had a week before the prescreening deadline and my pieces weren't at all ready :') Also, I kind of realized that I don't actually want to pursue music as a career. I'd much rather just keep it as a hobby, and I think I just got caught up with the prestige of Juilliard haha.

For History in the UK though, I've applied to LSE, UCL, Durham, Kings and SOAS (with my top choice being LSE) so I'm really excited for that. :biggrin:

I'm sorry to hear you didn't get called back this year though! Its their loss, and I bet you're a brilliant actor!
Reply 9
I actually never applied in the end! The same thing happened to me, I had a week before the prescreening deadline and my pieces weren't at all ready :') Also, I kind of realized that I don't actually want to pursue music as a career. I'd much rather just keep it as a hobby, and I think I just got caught up with the prestige of Juilliard haha.

For History in the UK though, I've applied to LSE, UCL, Durham, Kings and SOAS (with my top choice being LSE) so I'm really excited for that. :biggrin:

I'm sorry to hear you didn't get called back this year though! Its their loss, and I bet you're a brilliant actor!

Definitely a wise decision if your pieces weren't ready, and this way you can always try another year should you change your mind. A very noble choice to keep it as a hobby, as much so as pursuing it if that's the thing that's right for you. I think a lot of people think that pursuing a creative career path is brave, and maybe it is, but I think the brave thing is actually pursuing what you love most and what you're supposed to be doing, and if that's history for you then brilliant!!! Best of luck getting in, all great school, I'm sure you'll do well :wink:

Definitely a shame, but it's all about learning from it, moving to the next opportunity and making something happen. Maybe more of a challenge, but all the more exciting, eh?
I actually never applied in the end! The same thing happened to me, I had a week before the prescreening deadline and my pieces weren't at all ready :':wink: Also, I kind of realized that I don't actually want to pursue music as a career. I'd much rather just keep it as a hobby, and I think I just got caught up with the prestige of Juilliard haha.

Hi @Ali Adenwala

It's so good to hear that you're interested in studying with us! We're the 26th best history department in the world and the only history department devoted to Africa, Asia and the Middle East! So you'll definitely be in good hands! You'll leave SOAS with the intellectual rigour and independence to challenge people of all abilities, find evidence, assess and objectively approach problems, and understand the impact social development has had on our world... just to name a few. :wink:

The nice thing about SOAS, is that you can combine music and history and get a BA in both of them! Your hobby could be an excellent addition to your CV and totally make you more marketable after you graduate... top of your class at SOAS!

Being the world's leading institution for the study of Asia, Africa and the Middle East, we have a variety of music spanning from traditional western music to global hip hop, to the music of Cuba, South Asia and beyond! Combining our music and history department will certainly help you understand the relationships between music, religion, gender, business, and healing amongst other things.

I could go on and on about the things you can learn and the doors that would open up for you at SOAS, but then I'd be here all day! lol. Come and visit us on our 2016 SOAS Application Thread - the official place to ask me any question, see what other applicants are doing, or insert cool emojis :banana2:

I hope this helps and I look forward to seeing you on our forum!

~Mike
Original post by san13
i got in to the British and Irish Modern Music Institute and the Academy of Contemporary Music! So i plan on attending ACM in September. And wow thats really exciting! You must be really busy then!

I'm also off to ACM in September, I guess I will see you there!! XD
Original post by san13
Oh that's cool! What will you be studying?

the 3 year study option for Musicianship (vocals) XD what about you??
Original post by san13
ahhh thats cool! ive got an offer for the 2 years option for business and innovation!

Nice! :biggrin: I guess we might end up meeting or working together? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest