The Student Room Group

Example: student has bad AS/A2 and retakes to do very well (medic)

Hi,

I feel like many are worried after receiving bad grades today at AS/A2 and they want to see if it's possible to improve (i.e. they want an example of someone who has done it.

I didn't pay much attention to my first lot of AS levels and I got straight Ds. I didn't even care I got straight Ds. I ended up doing very well! In the exams I got Ds in, I got A/A* in.

How?
Study. Study harder. You studied for 4 hours a day and got a C? Do not compare yourself. This is your life. It appears you need to study more!! Everyone can achieve good grades, stop limiting yourself by putting yourself down!!

I also realised I came in the top 5 in my class in medicine. That is tough. But hey, this from a person who got DDDD in his first attempt at AS modules! They don't define you. You define you!! AS/A2 is a system that shows you how hard people studied. The people who study the most get the best grades!!

I am so grateful for my bad grades because I realised how much I wanted to do well and I taught myself how to study properly. If I got AAAA at AS, I would not work very hard now - because everything would always come easy - and i would not be doing well at medical school.

I have a few friends who also did badly and ended up doing very well!! You can do this, guys!!! :biggrin: Please believe in yourselves. I'm praying for all of you - that you are happy and believe in yourselves. Do not feel ashamed in front of your peers/teachers/family/yourselves.

This is your life. You have learned a very important lesson. Now GO GET WHAT YOU WANT.
Original post by vanillapod
xx

This story is so inspiring. Thank you for sharing it :biggrin:
Thank you for sharing this! I got AABB but felt a bit deflated because my teachers' will still look down on me applying to study medicine:frown:
Reply 3
Original post by Lularose83
Thank you for sharing this! I got AABB but felt a bit deflated because my teachers' will still look down on me applying to study medicine:frown:

Some of my teachers looked down on me too, but you have to overlook that. They're nothing to do with your future and your aspirations. Unfortunately, many judge you by your grades, which is ridiculous. They know very little about you. You will always have people acting as barriers - especially in medicine - BUT only you dictate whether they're a successful barrier or not!

Unfortunately, those same teachers invited me back when I got offers for medicine to speak to the younger students. I emailed the main teacher a mini essay consisting of advice for medicine applications because I really didn't want to be back - and be treated differently (better). Why? Because now I'm a medic? It's quite horrid.

But you have to cherish the people in the world who support you, not focus on anyone else. Now I'm nearly done with medical school and the teachers who gave me a bad time have nothing to do with my life! If anything, I'm a "success story." lol

Original post by Nirgilis
This story is so inspiring. Thank you for sharing it :biggrin:

Np :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest