The Student Room Group

resitting yr12 TWICE for medicine

hello everyone, i am currently a yr12 retake student. i was at private school last year and it went horribly wrong, so i decided to move to public school this year and retake the year. only now have i realised that sixth form isnt for me and i would be better off at a college. i don’t mind being behind 2 years, but i’m just wondering if any medical school in the UK will consider me. for gcses, i obtained all 8s.

i have applied to 2 colleges and they are willing to accept me. i definitely feel like moving schools will be better for me, i just want to know if i am able to get into medical school as that is my end goal.
It depends on the reason for the move. If you have well documented and serious extenuating circumstances then possibly yes. But you are taking a big risk.

The number of med schools which allow you to do resits of A Levels is getting more and more limited. Some say, max three years.

And if you are doing the same subjects it's even less likely. For example if you were doing drama, art and music and then swapped to Bio, Physics Chem for example you might have more chance than if you did sciences from the off at 3 different places.

If you are serious about medicine then I would stay where you are and make the best of it. How do you know the college would be better for you in the end, you have tried 2 already? It may not be, and each time you change it will be harder to make that change. It's only a teem in. Give it time.

But if it is totally intolerable now then maybe discuss options with those that know you best.
Reply 2
Original post by circusqueen
It depends on the reason for the move. If you have well documented and serious extenuating circumstances then possibly yes. But you are taking a big risk.

The number of med schools which allow you to do resits of A Levels is getting more and more limited. Some say, max three years.

And if you are doing the same subjects it's even less likely. For example if you were doing drama, art and music and then swapped to Bio, Physics Chem for example you might have more chance than if you did sciences from the off at 3 different places.

If you are serious about medicine then I would stay where you are and make the best of it. How do you know the college would be better for you in the end, you have tried 2 already? It may not be, and each time you change it will be harder to make that change. It's only a teem in. Give it time.

But if it is totally intolerable now then maybe discuss options with those that know you best.

my mental health has been really rock-bottom why is why i had to retake last year.

i was doing non-science alevels last year so surely that counts for something right?

i know a college will be better because 1) i don’t have to be in school full-time and 2) you make your own schedule. i personally feel like i would work better in a college environment

i just don’t feel like i can continue here. i have no friends. i don’t feel my best. i thought a new sixth form would be better but turns out it’s the exact same as my last school.

surely a really bad medical school in the uk will consider me though?? i just want to know if medicine is still an option if i retake..

if not, how else can i get into medicine?!
(edited 3 months ago)
I am sorry to read that you are experiencing these challenges and that school is making you so unhappy.

If you haven't already, I would suggest speaking to someone about your mental health and getting some support to help you now, rather than focussing on medicine and the future. Focus on you now, in other words.

In terms of what type of learning works best, try speaking to your school to explain your position now and see if there are any accommodations that can be made to make your current learning environment more supportive of your needs, before trying the college approach.

In terms of medicine. There is no such thing as a "really bad" medical school - I am afraid that they are all really competitive. There are however a range of ways that you can work in medicine / within a medical environment which you could look to in the future. Gateway/Foundation courses (if eleigible), older applicants non grad, grad entry etc as well as the standard straight from school undergrad approach. They are all still competitive, but all further down thrnline. There are also medicine adjacent such as PA roles, or even the forthcoming medicine apprentices which could be explored.

The situation may be different again in a few years when you are ready. So don't spend too much time worrying about it now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending