The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Strathclyde or Edinburgh?

I was considering applying to a Scottish uni as employment rates really do look very good! I'm undecided between Stratchclyde and Edinburgh, as I think I'd prefer Edinburgh as a city but the course for what I want to do (Architecture) looks really good at Strathclyde. Any help?
I start Strathclyde in September. What has impressed me personally is their organisation. They seem far more 'on the ball' in terms of organisation which will probably be down to their strong Business reputation. The amount of information and support I have received just in the last 12months has been amazing.
I'm a mature student and have a background in administration myself. Even when picking schools for my children I pay attention to the office staff. If the admin aren't up to the job then the teachers haven't got the support they need to do the actual teaching. Same applies to University IMHO and I have nothing but praise so far for Strathclyde.

Having said that, I felt that Edinburgh were also not bad but their applications processing was terrible this year. At the moment there doesn't seem to be a lot between Strathclyde and Edinburgh on many fronts. Edinburgh does have the added bonus of being a Russell Group Uni and also situated in Scotland's capital. But it isn't just about the stats (although they are very helpful). Get to the open days and see how you feel about each University.

I hadn't actually considered Strathclyde as an option before I got to one of the open days and after that it was a serious toss up between Glasgow, Edinburgh and Strathclyde. I was rejected by Edinburgh in the end due to numbers and I turned Glasgow down for Strathy. Personally I do actually prefer Glasgow as a city. I am originally from England and live about half way between either city. Edinburgh is ok I guess but I think I am a Glasgow girl tbh.

Good luck x
(edited 8 years ago)
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde
Reply 2
Answer to OP:

I took the personal accounts of people students I knew personally, and graduates with significant experience in their workplace, when choosing which university to apply for. In summary; I was always advised to be weary of information on Edinburgh Uni that might be bloated by it's reputation, and that Strathclyde is far-an-away the best in Scotland for anything Design/Engineering related (i.e architecture in your case.) Edinburgh has been said to under-support some courses and to be a difficult place for some students to go to Uni.
Don't misunderstand me though, I know Edinburgh to be a great University in what is perhaps one of the world's prettiest cities, however the uni isn't for everyone and it certainly isn't for every course. I know the University offers a great course in Politics& Int. relations, for example.

^ Just the advice I received. Note: I'm about to study Engineering after not applying to Edinburgh. Going to eith Uni should get you educated and noticed in an architect's world.
**** Edinburgh yo
Glasgow better
Original post by richmondmich33
**** Edinburgh yo
Glasgow better

yall gay

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending