The Student Room Group

Advice about being straight and supporting LGBT

Hi, recently I went to the LGBT day in our town, as I support LGBT, but because I'm straight the people who I saw there and afterwards acted really weirdly towards me.
I went to the day with my friend and when we got there we saw some other friends (who are bi) who weren't expecting me. They are pretty good friends of mine, but when they saw me they turned around and snapped "what are you doing here, this is LGBT day and I thought you were straight", to which I replied "I am, but I support LGBT", making them really confused and look at me really weirdly. We went around with them and we painted our nails rainbow, to which the same conversation happened with another 4 people who we knew.
Afterwards, I went around the city and saw some people from outside of school (who are straight) and they go "Why have you got your nails painted for LGBT, and why would you support LGBT if you have a boyfriend, does he know about this", followed by loads of questions about my relationship and stuff. I gave them a similar response to the others, and they looked at me really weirdly, then walked off.
So, does anyone have any advice about how to be in situations like this? Is there anyone else out there who is straight and supports it? Thanks.
Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
This is a stupid non-question. Do whatever you want to do, if you want to celebrate pride you can and if someone of any sexual orientation questions your right to do that, tell them to **** off. Also the whole does your boyfriend know about this thing, what are your friends like 12? Tell them to grow up AND **** off.
Reply 3
First of all congrats! You are quite brave.

The people you met just didn't think you were that brave/outspoken, that's all. Prove them wrong.
Reply 4
Original post by AvaAdore
This is a stupid non-question. Do whatever you want to do, if you want to celebrate pride you can and if someone of any sexual orientation questions your right to do that, tell them to **** off. Also the whole does your boyfriend know about this thing, what are your friends like 12? Tell them to grow up AND **** off.

What makes it stupid ?

I do agree with your advice though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by emlaar97
What makes it stupid ?

I do agree with your advice though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's stupid because of you're an actual ally of LGBT causes you would be well aware of why they're wrong. Unless you were a bit dim or just paying lip service to the causes without much knowledge.
Reply 6
Original post by AvaAdore
I think it's stupid because of you're an actual ally of LGBT causes you would be well aware of why they're wrong. Unless you were a bit dim or just paying lip service to the causes without much knowledge.

Whether or not you are aware of why they are wrong shouldn't preclude you from asking for advice about how to deal with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Firstly, well done for actually going! Idk why ur friends acted so weirdly- I would be so pleased if my friends turned up to pride as allies! They had no reason to treat you weirdly, and what you did was really good in my eyes. I'm bi btw 😁

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending