The Student Room Group

Cardiff Medical School Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by notyous
would 25/27 be a good enough gcse score for Cardiff this year??

if you scroll a few pages backwe had a longgggg discussion about this!!! :smile: x
Original post by futuremedic19

Finally please don't hesitate to ask me any questions about applying to medical school and about Cardiff.

:smile:

Hiya! So glad you're enjoying cardiff :h:

I really want to apply but my GCSE score would only be 25/27 because I got As in bio and chem - would this score be too risky??
Do the sciences they look at have to be biology and chemistry or is it just the best 2 (i have an A* in physics??)

Thank you!
Original post by Hydeman
I don't want to assume anything but it seems like one of those people who brag about their achievements by using the 'oh my god, I've only got 16 A*s at A Level, do you think I have a chance' format...

Sorry if that's not the case -- it just comes across like that, particularly given the anxiety about your 'bad' UKCAT average of 655.

I am very sorry to give you that impression... but I was very anxious and worried when I knew my UKCAT score and just hoped somebody will reassure me that it will be ok!
Original post by Bellbird
I am very sorry to give you that impression... but I was very anxious and worried when I knew my UKCAT score and just hoped somebody will reassure me that it will be ok!

It will be okay. :smile:

(at least for Cardiff -- they don't much care about the UKCAT)
Original post by Hydeman
It will be okay. :smile:

(at least for Cardiff -- they don't much care about the UKCAT)

Thank you for your kind words :smile:
Reply 205
Hi all potential applicants I'm a 1st year medic here at Cardiff and I've been through the hell of applying to medical school twice. I thought I'd share with anyone who's considering Cardiff why I believe it's worth applying here.

1) Cardiff has great facilities. There is an incredible building here called the Cochrane building where you will spend most of your time at. It has a great library and is really upto date.

2) The self directed/clinical skills centre seems amazing. It's where you learn all your clinical skills and you can come practice to improve your confidence and hone in on your practical skills before trying out on real patients.
I mentioned this in my interview and I think they REALLY liked it.

3) We get to do disections from like 2nd week and apparently it's a privilege offered by very few medical schools now including Cardiff. Personally I think it's a great way to learn anatomy.

4) You get to go on placements around the whole of Wales. With Cardiff being the only undergrauate med school in Wales it means we get to do our placements around Wales in various hospitals and GP surgeries although I think for 1st year were only based in Newport/Bridgend and Cardiff.
So there is early patient interaction in the course aswell.

4) Cardiff has Case based learning. So unlike some traditional med schools who mainly use lectures Cardiff have a very integrated curriculum. Case based learning is similar to PBL but it's more facilitated and apparently studies show it's a great way to learn.

5) Cardiff is a nice city that is not to big nor too small and by no means is it overcrowded nor expensive.

6) Cardiff is a small and compact city and it's very student orientated. Both campuses are within reasonable walking distance and all the student facilities are near th city centre.

7) Lastly Cardiff Medical Admissions are the best !!!. Honestly I've met them on the open day, emailed them numerous times with trivial questions and called them more than any other applicant lol. They are very supportive and friendly and more importantly they consider your application as a whole and plus they send out these lovely update emails and wish us all Happy Christmas/Easter and they can really sympathise with the stress involved in applying to med school.

Finally please don't hesitate to ask me any questions about applying to medical school and about Cardiff.

This was very helpful, thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi all potential applicants I'm a 1st year medic here at Cardiff and I've been through the hell of applying to medical school twice. I thought I'd share with anyone who's considering Cardiff why I believe it's worth applying here.

1) Cardiff has great facilities. There is an incredible building here called the Cochrane building where you will spend most of your time at. It has a great library and is really upto date.

2) The self directed/clinical skills centre seems amazing. It's where you learn all your clinical skills and you can come practice to improve your confidence and hone in on your practical skills before trying out on real patients.
I mentioned this in my interview and I think they REALLY liked it.

3) We get to do disections from like 2nd week and apparently it's a privilege offered by very few medical schools now including Cardiff. Personally I think it's a great way to learn anatomy.

4) You get to go on placements around the whole of Wales. With Cardiff being the only undergrauate med school in Wales it means we get to do our placements around Wales in various hospitals and GP surgeries although I think for 1st year were only based in Newport/Bridgend and Cardiff.
So there is early patient interaction in the course aswell.

4) Cardiff has Case based learning. So unlike some traditional med schools who mainly use lectures Cardiff have a very integrated curriculum. Case based learning is similar to PBL but it's more facilitated and apparently studies show it's a great way to learn.

5) Cardiff is a nice city that is not to big nor too small and by no means is it overcrowded nor expensive.

6) Cardiff is a small and compact city and it's very student orientated. Both campuses are within reasonable walking distance and all the student facilities are near th city centre.

7) Lastly Cardiff Medical Admissions are the best !!!. Honestly I've met them on the open day, emailed them numerous times with trivial questions and called them more than any other applicant lol. They are very supportive and friendly and more importantly they consider your application as a whole and plus they send out these lovely update emails and wish us all Happy Christmas/Easter and they can really sympathise with the stress involved in applying to med school.

Literally taken the words out of my mouth!

How is cardiff fairing you so far! Ii absolutely love it already! - cannot wait to get started on anatomy on thursday!

Iive not seen you around yet :frown:!
Original post by notyous

I really want to apply but my GCSE score would only be 25/27 because I got As in bio and chem - would this score be too risky??
Do the sciences they look at have to be biology and chemistry or is it just the best 2 (i have an A* in physics??)

Thank you!

They look at all your sciences and maths and English and then the rest of your best GCSEs so even if you've done better in other subjects you have to include those grades but I think they maybe top your score up if you've achieved AAA in as/ a level but I'm not sure there's a bit of confusion around this :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Natalierm2707
Literally taken the words out of my mouth!

How is cardiff fairing you so far! Ii absolutely love it already! - cannot wait to get started on anatomy on thursday!

Iive not seen you around yet :frown:!

It's great but med school is different from your normal 6th form college in that everyone here is really clever and keen to learn and you sort of feel like a small fish in a big pond.

Given there are 310 people in our year it's hard to meet everyone but I'm sure we will bump into eachother soon.

Yeah the anatomy sounds cool. But my highlight so far has probably been when we got our stethoscopes and the CPR session we had today.
Original post by notyous

Thank you!

I think they take all Sciences, English, Maths.

If you score 25 the advice from myself and Cardiff would be to definitely apply.

25 + a good personal statement should get you an interview :smile:
Original post by Fibsy

Does anyone know if they use SJT when using the ukcat in tiebreaker scenarios? Because I got a band 1 and I don't want to waste it! Only one of the places I'm applying to acknowledge SJT :erm:

you have such great results! best of luck with your applications. and also, which uni acknowledges SJT?
Hello everyone, I'm going to be a medical student here in September so if anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to ask.
I would definitely recommend applying to Cardiff. The medical admissions team are incredibly friendly and Cardiff itself is a lovely place to study.

Good luck everyone :smile: !!!

Could you please tell me how you got all those top grades so easily, as though A levels are like GCSEs?
Original post by King of the Ring
Could you please tell me how you got all those top grades so easily, as though A levels are like GCSEs?

It's not comparable with GCSEs, the work load is just enormously different! You need to make sure you understand all the concepts, and review them after school whenever lessons are finished. I made notecards and do questions every week, whenever I have time. Top grades doesn't come easy.. you have to work for it.
It's not comparable with GCSEs, the work load is just enormously different! You need to make sure you understand all the concepts, and review them after school whenever lessons are finished. I made notecards and do questions every week, whenever I have time. Top grades doesn't come easy.. you have to work for it.

May I PM you later this evening? I have a lot of questions on how to improve which you might be able to help on. Thanks!
It's great but med school is different from your normal 6th form college in that everyone here is really clever and keen to learn and you sort of feel like a small fish in a big pond.

Given there are 310 people in our year it's hard to meet everyone but I'm sure we will bump into eachother soon.

Yeah the anatomy sounds cool. But my highlight so far has probably been when we got our stethoscopes and the CPR session we had today.

Im in group a2 so I have a different timetable!

you will feel like that for a while and its normal!
May I PM you later this evening? I have a lot of questions on how to improve which you might be able to help on. Thanks!

I would not mind, but I am only doing A2 currently too.
Hello, quick question; I'm applying to Cardiff next month, and my family's moving to the US next year so home will be a long way away; what's the pastoral support/sense of community like?
Hi,
I am thinking Of applying to cardiff and I got 24/27 so isit worth even applying For medicine?

Hi thanks but I don't think my grades were that special. The answer to that is hard work but more importantly you have to really enjoy the subjects your taking.
I hated maths at GCSE but at A level it became one of my favourite subjects. Chemistry and Biology I always had a interested for amd for your 4th subject I would strongly recommend not doing Physics/Geography/History, instead I took Business studies which really was awesome as it allowed me to relax from the relatively harder subjects and helped me manage my time better.
My parents kept telling me to drop a subject at A2 but I loved them all soo much that I didn't.

In terms of revision techniques. I would recommend using a variety of sources like YouTube/Different revision guides.
Make lots of notes in your own words and make the key bits stand out with color.
Also make sure you do loads of past papers including those from the old specs if possible.

Make sure you go through your exam boards spec and tick the topics as you go through them.

Also do some pre reading before your class and try to sit at the front if possible, as I always found it useful.

Lastly it's okay to find A levels hard. I remember I was literally on a U grade for Biology for the first 3 months and a D for Chemistry but if you work hard and believe in yourself than there should be no reason why you can't get the top grades.

Please don't be afraid to PM me, literally the only reason I'm on TSR now is to help you guys :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mountain__
Hi,
I am thinking Of applying to cardiff and I got 24/27 so isit worth even applying For medicine?

it may be slightly risky but its your choice after all!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending