The Student Room Group

Cardiff Medical School Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by revisinglots
I had my interview on Monday and the interviewer said I would only hear from them in march, did anyone else get told that? I'm a bit confused cos I thought they gave out some earlier

yes they give out some earlier, but they have held 1000 interviews so far (med admissions sourced from another candidate calling them) and are only expecting to give out 80 offers, thats less than 10% of people interviewed getting an offer pre-christmas. if you dont hear pre-christmas you will have to wait till march 31st. its a tough wait from november/december... but you will get there! I had to do the wait and then found out i got in on march 31st!
Original post by Hydeman
I didn't apply last year so this is my first UCAS application. :colondollar:

UKCAT: 577.5 average, Band 2 (yeah, I know it's low :/).
BMAT: 4.9, 4.0, 4A.

Ahh well done for the BMAT very good score ☺️☺️☺️ You should get imperial
Original post by ilovecake123
Ahh well done for the BMAT very good score ☺️☺️☺️ You should get imperial

UCL. :wink: They're more holistic than Imperial unfortunately so a BMAT score is no guarantee of an interview or offer. :frown: Quite a lot of people with lower scores than mine have got in in previous years, at the same time as people with very high scores (7 - 9) have been rejected without interview. We'll have to see. :dontknow:

Thanks though. :biggrin:
Original post by Hydeman
UCL. :wink: They're more holistic than Imperial unfortunately so a BMAT score is no guarantee of an interview or offer. :frown: Quite a lot of people with lower scores than mine have got in in previous years, at the same time as people with very high scores (7 - 9) have been rejected without interview. We'll have to see. :dontknow:

sorry i meant UCL
you'll be fine good luck :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman

can i ask why you applied to exeter?
Original post by ilovecake123
can i ask why you applied to exeter?

Well, after the disaster that was the UKCAT, I was looking at applying to one BMAT university and three universities that didn't use/care very much about the UKCAT. So with UCL, Cardiff and Bristol down, I was advised by the Exeter admissions team that they use a tiering system for applicants based on predicted or achieved A Level grades and that the UKCAT would only be used as a cut-off if a particular tier was oversubscribed.

They told me that they expected the top 2 tiers (I was in tier 2) to not get oversubscribed and hence there was a strong chance that my UKCAT score wouldn't get looked at. So I applied for that reason; however, it's all gone a little bit awry now so I'm expecting a rejection from Exeter.
Guys,

I think I did really badly in my interview.
I was so nervous and clumsily and had so many things in my head to say but I couldn't get it out. With my voice I felt like I didn't show my true passion and i feel like they looked bored.

Is there anything else I can do like send a email or letter or phone call showing my heartfelt undying commitment to study at Cardiff really go all out?

I didn't get in last year and in so worried I will be in the same situation as last year.
It's reeeeeally bummed me out.

Worth a shot?
Original post by 08dgraham
Guys,

I was so nervous and clumsily and had so many things in my head to say but I couldn't get it out. With my voice I felt like I didn't show my true passion and i feel like they looked bored.

Is there anything else I can do like send a email or letter or phone call showing my heartfelt undying commitment to study at Cardiff really go all out?

I didn't get in last year and in so worried I will be in the same situation as last year.

Worth a shot?

Honestly? I would strongly advise against it. They have an admissions policy to follow and the policy is that offers are made on the basis of interview performance, using the UKCAT to break ties. If they suspend this policy for the benefit of one individual, and it gets out, they will be swamped with allegations of malpractice, because they will have granted you somebody else's place, in effect.

Other than that, it will seem exceedingly desperate and you really don't know how well (or not) you've done -- there are quite a few situations where people come out of interviews feeling that they've really blown it and then received offers. You can't judge your performance from whether they looked 'bored.'

Please save yourself the embarrassment of going through with this, because it's not going to work, it's not fair on the rest of us and, if anything, will only make them look upon you less favourably because you will essentially be attempting to sway them through flattery, the ethics of which I'll let you judge for yourself.

Even if you don't get an offer from Cardiff, you can still hope for offers from other universities. If you're really committed to medicine, then you should remember that two gap years really isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things.
Reply 1188
Guys,

Worth a shot?

Definitely don't do that.

To reassure you however, I felt my interview went the exact same way. Sometimes when I'm in a stressfull situation I can freeze up, mumble words and generally come across as an unconvincing nervous wreck. I came out of that interview and completely wrote it off as a rejection. I then had an interview at Keele a few days later, which I thought I performed brilliantly in, and was confident I'd get an offer.
About a week passes by and I get a rejection from Keele, that was probably the low point of my application process. A few more weeks pass by and I get an offer from Cardiff!

The interview is to check who you say you are on paper. The interviewers are human too, they know that these things are extremely stressfull and are really good at looking past nerves. The student on the panel was in the exact same position as you 3 or 4 years ago and so know exactly how you felt.

So, try your best not to worry about it, your nerves will be seen as just that, nerves.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Elwyn
Definitely don't do that.

To reassure you however, I felt my interview went the exact same way. Sometimes when I'm in a stressfull situation I can freeze up, mumble words and generally come across as an unconvincing nervous wreck. I came out if that interview and completely wrote it off as a rejection. I then had an interview at Keele a few days later, which I thought I performed brilliantly in, and was confident I'd get an offer.
About a week passes by and I get a rejection from Keele, that was probably the low point of my application process. A few more weeks pass by and I get an offer from Cardiff!

The interview is to check who you say you are on paper. The interviewers are human too, they know that these things are extremely stressfull and are really good at looking past nerves. The student on the panel was in the exact same position as you 3 or 4 years ago and so know exactly how you felt.

So, try your best not to worry about it, your nerves will be seen as just that, nerves.

Well said 👊

Don't do that. Your only chance now is holding up a boombox above your head as you stand beneath the students union, loudly and embarrassingly playing a romantic cheesy song. If the interviewers run out to the balcony and look down at you shyly and surprised, you have a hope.

Just kidding. I can't say how it'll turn out, but I really genuinely hope it went better than you think it did and you stand with a confirmed offer from somewhere in august.
To anyone who has had an interview- How much warning did they give you before it? Like how far in advance did they let you know?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys,

Worth a shot?

If it makes you feel better I felt like mine went badly I was nervous And all I can think about is everything that went wrong and I woffled loads. it was pretty hard I feel like it generally just went crap like one of my interviewers seemed so uninterested in what I was saying , so yeah your not alone
Original post by RedNebula
To anyone who has had an interview- How much warning did they give you before it? Like how far in advance did they let you know?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My interview was the 17th of November and I heard on the 10th of November :smile: Some people appear to have had a few days more notice than me though for later interview dates!
Reply 1194

Posted from TSR Mobile

6 days
Reply 1195
Original post by may_1
If it makes you feel better I felt like mine went badly I was nervous And all I can think about is everything that went wrong and I woffled loads. it was pretty hard I feel like it generally just went crap like one of my interviewers seemed so uninterested in what I was saying , so yeah your not alone

About 95% of us are in exactly the same same boat. They know we're going to be nervous, and also that we probably won't say everything that we perhaps could because of it so I'm sure they understand that. I wouldn't say my interviewers were uninterested exactly, but they were distinctly neutral. I suspect they probably have instructions not to give away too much about their opinions of our answer, if for no other reason than to see how we cope in that sort of situation.

Everybody will have made some mistakes in some form or another and looking back that's all people seem to remember, but don't forget that most of what you said was probably actually very good!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by emem2011
My interview was the 17th of November and I heard on the 10th of November :smile: Some people appear to have had a few days more notice than me though for later interview dates!

Original post by r_98
6 days

Oh wow that's not a long time! Thanks though :smile: Hope they went well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh wow that's not a long time! Thanks though :smile: Hope they went well!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got told on the afternoon of the 18th and my interview was on the 27th
Original post by may_1

Haha I wish I could say that but nah I'm not like that I just want everyone who really wants to get to get in

Happiness for all!

It's so unfair cos I know people even from my skl who decide on medicine like during the application year and are confident in interviews who get an offer and some even rejected it whereas I'm clumsy and nervous but it's my only major passion and ambition so unfair
Anyone know how long after inerview you have to wait to get the result?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending