The Student Room Group

Warwick and Cambridge maths

Hello, I'll be starting maths at Warwick in October after having narrowly missed out on Cambridge. Needless to say I'm disappointed (not too much though because I know exactly what I did wrong and how to improve, rather than say trying my best and then failing) but I'm hoping to make up for it by working extremely hard at Warwick and applying for Part 3 of the Cambridge tripos. In order to make the most out of Warwick, what I decided to do is to follow the cambridge course as closely as possible, because there's no denying that Cambridge is the best maths course in the country and possibly in the world, being so old and having so much experience in teaching maths.

With that in mind, which courses would you suggest I take at Warwick in my first year? The core modules should already cover much of the first year maths at Cambridge, but I know I'll have to take the mechanics and relativity from the physics department to match the compulsory dynamics and relativity course at cambridge. I'm also thinking about taking Probability B. I would really appreciate if someone who knows the cambridge course well can check out the syllabus here and tell me which courses they recommend I should take for my options:

https://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/undergrad/ughandbook/year1

Thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)
tl;dr: I'm trying to form a correspondence between the courses at cambridge and those at warwick. I think this is an interesting question in its own right that someone who knows either course well can attempt to solve but here's what I have so far:
\end_tl;dr

Warwick | Cambridge

-Foundations | Numbers and Sets
-Differential Equations | Differential Equations
-Introduction to Abstract Algebra | Groups OR Algebra&Geometry (OR both?)
-Analysis 1 and 2 | Analysis 1 (Is Analysis 1 at Warwick the same as Analysis 1 at Cambridge, or is it more like Analysis 1+2 at Warwick = Analysis 1 at Cambridge?)
-Linear Algebra | Vectors and Matrices
-Maths by Computer | Computing Project
-Geometry in Motion | Vector Calculus
-Probability A | Probability (I have the same question here as the Analysis courses: Is Probability A sufficient to cover the probability at Cambridge, or should I also take Warwick's optional probability B course?)
-Mechanics and Relativity | Dynamics and Relativity
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BartMashingspoon
Hello, I'll be starting maths at Warwick in October after having narrowly missed out on Cambridge. Needless to say I'm disappointed (not too much though because I know exactly what I did wrong and how to improve, rather than say trying my best and then failing) but I'm hoping to make up for it by working extremely hard at Warwick and applying for Part 3 of the Cambridge tripos. In order to make the most out of Warwick, what I decided to do is to follow the cambridge course as closely as possible, because there's no denying that Cambridge is the best maths course in the country and possibly in the world, being so old and having so much experience in teaching maths.

With that in mind, which courses would you suggest I take at Warwick in my first year? The core modules should already cover much of the first year maths at Cambridge, but I know I'll have to take the mechanics and relativity from the physics department to match the compulsory dynamics and relativity course at cambridge. I'm also thinking about taking Probability B. I would really appreciate if someone who knows the cambridge course well can check out the syllabus here and tell me which courses they recommend I should take for my options:

https://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/undergrad/ughandbook/year1

Thanks!

You may have a better chance getting replies to you question here.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=503945

Good luck. :smile:
Original post by vincrows
You may have a better chance getting replies to you question here.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=503945

Good luck. :smile:

Hello, thanks. Rather than posting the whole thread there I'll post the link in the hope that someone will click it and end up here.
Hello, thanks. Rather than posting the whole thread there I'll post the link in the hope that someone will click it and end up here.

As you please. :smile:
Make it very visible. People are sometimes quite lazy.... :wink:
tl;dr: I'm trying to form a correspondence between the courses at cambridge and those at warwick. I think this is an interesting question in its own right that someone who knows either course well can attempt to solve but here's what I have so far:

Warwick | Cambridge

-Foundations | Numbers and Sets
-Differential Equations | Differential Equations
-Introduction to Abstract Algebra | Groups OR Algebra&Geometry (OR both?)
-Analysis 1 and 2 | Analysis 1 (Is Analysis 1 at Warwick the same as Analysis 1 at Cambridge, or is it more like Analysis 1+2 at Warwick = Analysis 1 at Cambridge?)
-Linear Algebra | Vectors and Matrices
-Maths by Computer | Computing Project
-Geometry in Motion | Vector Calculus
-Probability A | Probability (I have the same question here as the Analysis courses: Is Probability A sufficient to cover the probability at Cambridge, or should I also take Warwick's optional probability B course?)
-Mechanics and Relativity | Dynamics and Relativity

When your tl;dr is tl, so dr
Original post by Eux
When your tl;dr is tl, so dr

Everything is in the first paragraph of my tl;dr, the rest is just my bad attempt at answering the question.
As you please. :smile:
Make it very visible. People are sometimes quite lazy.... :wink:

Does that mean I can spam?
Does that mean I can spam?

What do you mean by spam? Re-post another ones like above?
If that's so, yes, of course. Just two identical posts should be fine. :smile:
Usually the posters here and there overlaps, but there's a chance someone only look at either.
What do you mean by spam? Re-post another ones like above?
If that's so, yes, of course. Just two identical posts should be fine. :smile:
Usually the posters here and there overlaps, but there's a chance someone only look at either.

Yes that's what I meant, thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending