The Student Room Group

attending notting hill carnival

just to give a little background info: i want to attend carnival, and my boyfriend has asked me to come along with him but i'm not that great at dancing, what makes it worse is that I am black, and there is this generalisation that if you are black then you must be good at dancing. it puts me off because i don't want embarrass myself, but i do want to have a good time and enjoy myself and the atmosphere.. any advice/thoughts?
Is it mandatory to dance at carnival? And if you did, who is judging your dancing? And do you really want to be going out with someone who thinks ill of your dancing abilities?

I think you need to lighten up, be true to yourself and forget what anyone else thinks. Why surround yourself with people whose opinions of you make you nervous? Surely a friend is a friend and what they think about you is irrelevant?
Now i will fess up,,i have a big thing for black girls. I think many are so beautiful especially if you are of the slim to slightly curvy kinda girl. Dancing isnt obligatory so just go enjoy yourself.
I have been to carnival many times, when I was younger. Every direction you look someone will be dancing. If you can go to a party and your happy to stand in the corner whilst everyone else dances, then you will be okay. Other than that you might feel uncomfortable. Does your boyfriend dance? Cos if he does it may be a bit more awkward. Try and let your hair down, its not like you are being judged on your dancing. #TurnUp
Reply 4
yeah i think i need to loosen up.. and just to confirm my boyfriends said he doesn't mind if i can't dance - he encourages me to, he says he's not the best dancer himself, its not him that puts me off, but other people attending, other people that can dance much better than i can, i guess i just care too much about what other people think.
Reply 5
Don't worry ! Once u get there u will enjoy the vibes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending