Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by iCreptio
No worries, I'm aware it was a long shot :tongue:

Averaged 82% first year and 86% second year (top percentiles of my class both years), so from that perspective I should be fine I guess. I just can't get myself to submit the application as the questions to my answers aren't as good as I want them to be :redface:

I got an offer for MPhil Econ yeeaaaars ago so taking that time gap into account, I think they still place a lot of emphasis on people being at/near the top of the class. I did undergrad in South Africa and every year around when I was there the top Econ students applied to Cam and every year they were accepted!! And I know they still ask the referees to mention class rank/percentile so I think it's still a very important factor. I'd think you have a very good chance from what you've said above.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Already got conditional offer with placement in St. John's - does anyone know anything about Gates Cambridge notifications or Cambridge Trust? Also, what sorts of financial assistance will St. John's provide?
Congratulations on your offer, which course did you apply for?

I also applied for Gates Cambridge and Cambridge Trust but I don't think you are going to hear from them for a while. No idea about the financial assistance from St Johns, but it is a wealthy college so they should have something, although I believe there are fewer college-based scholarships in Cambridge than Oxford.
Original post by sj27
I got an offer for MPhil Econ yeeaaaars ago so taking that time gap into account, I think they still place a lot of emphasis on people being at/near the top of the class. I did undergrad in South Africa and every year around when I was there the top Econ students applied to Cam and every year they were accepted!! And I know they still ask the referees to mention class rank/percentile so I think it's still a very important factor. I'd think you have a very good chance from what you've said above.

That makes me feel a lot better actually :tongue:

I'll probably submit it this Sunday so I can get a (few more) last look(s) at it.
Original post by ucla91
Hi,

I just started a Facebook group in case someone wanted to join!

"Cambridge 2016 Graduate Applicants"

Will join later on. Great initiative!
Original post by needurgenthelp
Already got conditional offer with placement in St. John's - does anyone know anything about Gates Cambridge notifications or Cambridge Trust? Also, what sorts of financial assistance will St. John's provide?

Gates and the Trusts won't be for a while. St John's has a handful of Benefactors' Scholarships, which are usually decided upon in May IIRC? They wait to see how people have fared with Research Councils, the Trusts etc. before giving out their own scholarships.
Original post by Serentonin
Well, hopefully they'll be okay with it then :yy: HL maths is harder than A level anyway.

Here is Cam's reply:
The minimum requirement is an A'level in mathematics, but if an
applicant has taken quantitative courses in their undergraduate degree
(which you have done), then the Admissions Committee would not
necessarily expect applicants to have A'level maths.

That was a relief for me. Honestly speaking, i can accept an rejection, but i do not want to be rejected by Cam just because my high school grades are not high enough. Because of language barrier, i really struggled with IB, i hope my UG courses' result can convince Cam that i am capable of doing the diploma.
I really wish i can have the privilege to be your class mate, you are so nice and hopeful.
Will we get a notification if we were nominated by the departments? (final 200)
Original post by needurgenthelp
Will we get a notification if we were nominated by the departments? (final 200)

nominated for what?
I got an interview invitation this Tuesday for Mphil ISMM (Industry System Manufacture and Management), any tips for Mphil interview? I am not sure there will be some entrance exams during the interview day or not...
Does anyone know when the decision making bodies close for the xmas holidays? Is it the end of term? I know undergraduate interviews happen after the end of term, do the graduate admissions departments keep giving out offers during this time?
I meant will we know whether we've been nominated by our departments and ranked highly for consideration by the Gates cambridge people?
Reply 392
Original post by Aceadria
Will join later on. Great initiative!

Great, so far it's only me haha but hopefully it'll become alive
Reply 393
I received a conditional offer for an MPhil in American History this week. My status now says seeking college membership. Does anyone know how long it normally takes for colleges to make a decision?
Original post by EMD026
I received a conditional offer for an MPhil in American History this week. My status now says seeking college membership. Does anyone know how long it normally takes for colleges to make a decision?

Took me around two weeks and I got my first choice (central College, relatively oversubscribed and quite wealthy). I believe someone else got St. Catherine's and the whole process was far shorter than mine.
Got the required grades on my English tests and all conditions have now been met! Super excited!
Reply 396
Took me around two weeks and I got my first choice (central College, relatively oversubscribed and quite wealthy). I believe someone else got St. Catherine's and the whole process was far shorter than mine.

Thanks!
Original post by EMD026
Thanks!

All good. I recommend reading last year's thread and to search for the college you applied for. It will give you a good indication as there is no standard timescale for when you will hear back by.
Reply 398
Original post by egypt94
My application to history just changed to under consideration by degree committee. I know it varies between departments etc. but in general how quickly will it move from here? Is it the 'awaiting consideration' which takes the most time or the 'under consideration'?
People have mentioned that offers don't go out until after xmas generally, but does getting to BOGS (essentially meaning you're in) occur much earlier than that or about the same time?
Also for history does getting to this stage actually mean I have got through anything yet since someone said the department stage is skipped for history?

I received an offer from the BoGS on Monday for an MPhil in American History. It changed from consideration by degree committee to awaiting decision by BoGS the previous Tuesday. It seemed to move pretty quickly through. Now I'm just waiting to hear from the colleges.
Reply 399
All good. I recommend reading last year's thread and to search for the college you applied for. It will give you a good indication as there is no standard timescale for when you will hear back by.

Thanks! I'll do that. I didn't specify a college on my applications. I'm honestly not too familiar with the different colleges.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending