The Student Room Group

Guinea Pig Appreciation Thread

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi Cavy :wink:

You seem to know your animals pretty well!

And I don't have a guinea pig to post. :frown: I've always liked to have a pet rodent though! Would you recommend me a guinea pig?
Reply 2
Original post by CoolCavy
:biggrin: hey! you found my thread! :h:

aww thank you :smile: i just love learning about animals

Guinea pigs are quite easy to look after, i clean out mine once a day (there are 2 large cages with 2 in 1 and 1 in the other). It is better imo if you keep them indoors if your parents are ok with that. This is because they can get a thing called flystrike and if they graze on grass are more suseptibe to parasites. Also animals like foxes and crows scare them. They are quite scared when you get them even if you don't get a rescue one so you need to have time to tame them and make sure they feel safe :smile: They aren't really that expensive to keep as they eat veg twice a day which isn't that expensive. They need guinea pig dry food (either nuggets or museli), which can be brought quite cheaply from places like pets at home. The bedding is probably the most expensive bit because they need hay all of the time (vital for digestion) and if you bed them on woodshavings this can be quite expensive. They are considerably cheaper than dogs or cats but i suppose they are more expensive than smaller rodents such as hamsters. I had a very ill guinea pig in the past and her vets bills got quite expensive. Personally i would recommend getting a rescue guinea pig (oh and get a pair either female and female or neutered male and female as they are social creatures) as in my experience it is very rewarding to help a creature and make an abused animal feel safe (mine were abandoned in a box by a road). Also a benefite of getting a rescue is that they tend to be healthier, as i meantioned previously one of my previous two had a lot of health issues tah temerged later in her life. Usually the adoption shelter vet checks the guinea pigs and if you get an older guinea pig chances are they would have developed something by now if they were going to get something.

Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you so much! You definitely know a lot about guinea pigs!

How exactly do you tame them (sorry if this is obvious), is there a particular method? Or do you just look after them and stuff and as time passes they start feeling more comfortable? And do they pick up medical conditions quite easily then? I couldn't stand to see one dead or something, especially under my care!! I'd likely be scarred!
Reply 3
:smile: thanks :biggrin:
To tame them just takes patience really i have tamed a few now (with the help of my mun). When you get them home leave them alone for a day so they can work out their surroundings so try to minimise going into the room etc. After about a day start talking to them slowly and gently. Do this until they get to know the sound of your voice and don't run away when you speak. You are right about over time they start to feel more comftable, after about a few weeks just act normally around them (normal voice level etc) then they get used to being in an active environment. Over time they get used to things like television noises etc although mine still don't really like the hoover. In my experience no guinea pig seems to love being handeled or picked up although they are individuals so there will be exceptions. They tend to flail around and wriggle quite a bit when you pick them up so make sure to hold them firmly (they are delicate and it can be fatal if you drop them). When you pick them up slide your hand under their tummy and cup their rear end so they feel supported, bring them close to you chest when carrying them (cradle them). If you are holding them for a long time (no longer than 15 mins straight because they need the toilet quite reguarly :colondollar:) put them on ur lap and sit on the floor. You can start picking them up after a few weeks and gradually they don't run away as much. My piggies have floor time in the evening when they have their dinner which is good excersise for them and they enjoy it (the veggies are good 2 as they can forage which is natural behaviour).

They don't pick up serious medical problems that easily, my piggie was just unlucky genetically (prone to tumours etc). They can get lice and mites though but these are quite easy to treat (seek meds promtly though) and they shouldnt catch any if they are kept indoors and aren't stressed. A common problem is URI (upper respiratory infection), this is a bit like a chest infection and the sympotms are similar to flu (runny nose, lathargy, temperature etc), this is most commonly caused by dusty beddind such as woodshavings but get dust extracted woodshavings and you should be ok.

Also don't bed them on sawdust or straw this can lead to URIs and the straw can poke them in the eyes.

Yes seeing my beloved piggie of 4 years like that was very upsetting :frown: but at least we could give a home to some more pigs in need and i will never ever forget them :heart:

if you have any more questions just ask :smile:

Really sorry to hear that :frown: Must've been horrible.

And ah ok, it seems to be a matter of them slowly adjusting to you as well as their surroundings. Not surprising that they're scared of the hoover!

So if you put them down is it possible they could just run away and you lose them? Or does that not tend to happen as they get more familiar with you?

Have you had any other rodents like hamsters or gerbils or something? I actually really wanted a gerbil at one point!

And are the pets themselves that expensive? If you get a rescue one are they free or something?

And another thing (sorry) Do you find if you're stressed out or whatever that it helps being in their company? Do you treat them literally as your companions? Sorry for all of the questions! You've sort of made me want one! :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by LBS_187
Really sorry to hear that :frown: Must've been horrible.

And ah ok, it seems to be a matter of them slowly adjusting to you as well as their surroundings. Not surprising that they're scared of the hoover!

So if you put them down is it possible they could just run away and you lose them? Or does that not tend to happen as they get more familiar with you?

Have you had any other rodents like hamsters or gerbils or something? I actually really wanted a gerbil at one point!

And are the pets themselves that expensive? If you get a rescue one are they free or something?

And another thing (sorry) Do you find if you're stressed out or whatever that it helps being in their company? Do you treat them literally as your companions? Sorry for all of the questions! You've sort of made me want one! :biggrin:

Rather, perhaps more than one, as you did say it's better to have more than one!
I used to have four. They're a seriously underrated pet!! So cute and funny, and great company when you need cheering up :smile:
YES! :biggrin: totally agree with everything you said :five:

having 4 must have been awesome :smile:

It was! We originally bought two and then discovered we'd accidentally bought a pregnant guinea pig... I was actually the first person to see the babies. One morning I opened the hutch and there where these two tiny piggies in there with their mum... As we ended up with three girls and one boy our poor male guinea pig had to live on his own so I kinda spoiled him a bit, he was always my favourite and he used to respond to my voice and come when I called him :smile:
Reply 7
Yeah it was,:frown: thanks for your kind comments though

Im happy to answer any questions :smile:

If you put them down straight away chances are they wouldn't go very far they would just huddle together in a corner or a little 'pigloo'. They are quite big so it isn't like a hamster that is tiny and can go under the floorboards. They are easy to keep track of as they make a sort of 'clucking' noise to each other to tell each other where they are and to reassure each other. They aren't especially fast but again this varies for instance one of mine is very speedy whilst another one is quite lazy. To begin with they are quite hard to pick up and catch but they get used to a routine very quicky and mine now just sit in the pigloo when they want to go back to thir cages and so i just scoop them up. When you first get them out though it sounds weird but put them in a box with a hole in so they can fit through it. This is because guinea pigs feel safest when they are in shelter (they are prey creatures). If you do that every night eventually you have a 'breakthrough point', this is when one of them plucks up the courage to go out of the box, as they are social the others follow and then they gradually get used to the room :smile:. When you let them out once they are adjusted still make sure they have little houses so they feel safe (pigloos and cardboard boxes).

No i have only ever had guinea pigs, we discussed getting a hamster but apparently hamsters can increase the likelihood of piggies getting URIs. One of my piggies is prone to this anyway so we didn't want to risk it. Also im not sure what it is called but DON'T put a rat anywhere near a guinea pig because rats carry a fatal lung disease thing that guinea pigs can catch of them. Aww yes gerbils are so cute :biggrin:

No the pets themselves are't expensive, the first two i had we got for £30 (2 for £30), then i have 3 rescue pigs which we got from the RSPCA and we just gave a donation (i think we gave £30). I would advise that you don't get the from places like pets at home because a few people have told me that they aren't very healthy and that they don't live as long. Oh also if you get them from the RSPCA pairs are often bonded together and the males are already neautred (this saves money for the operation).

Definetly! they are so stress relieveing, during any exams i always picture their little faces and feel better, i carry a picture of them all on my mp3 so i can look at them in times of stress. Stroking them is also very relaxing as is talking to them and they quicky get to know you and once they do they behave like little dogs when you go in and see them, they stand upright on the bars and squeak. They are also highly amusing to watch and if you are stressed will make you laugh, they have loads of vocal sounds the funniest of which is 'rumble strutting' when they sway from side to side and rumble. This is courting behaviour that my male does to my poor females every time he sees them but also females do it to each other when they are in season or to express dominance. 'popcorning' is also very sweet this is when they are so happy/excited they jump in the air (literally) and run about.

Yay! a guinea pig convert :biggrin: yeah two is definetly better than 1 :h:

Thank you! :smile:

They do seem so underrated! WE NEED MORE OF THESE IN OUR LIVES! :biggrin:

But yeah, they seem so cute! And they seem like they interact so much! I had a bearded dragon, and she was really cool! But the problem is (as many reptiles do) she would just stand in one place and would never interact! But I did love having her, and I pretty much brought her up from very young. I had to sell her :frown: but luckily it was to a guy who was crazy about reptiles! I just didn't have the room in my new house to keep her. Also she was fed small mice, crickets and locusts, and I REALLY didn't like having to handle them. Sometimes crickets and locusts would go missing around the house! Horrible! I also wouldn't class bearded dragons as the "cute" type. Maybe when they are young, but as they grow up, not so much so especially in comparison to guinea pigs!

So am I right in saying that if you just release them and they have no cover, they would panic and get stressed etc? Hence the reason why there should be cardboard boxes or 'pigloos' (awww!)

Price wise they're quite cheap to buy! If I was to buy a couple I wouldn't mind paying more than that! So that's always good :smile:

I don't really know whether my parents would approve if I'm honest! One more thing, how much space will guinea pigs take up? It seems like you may need a bit more for them to be able to explore and get used to their surroundings? (Again, sorry if I'm acting stupid, my knowledge of guinea pigs is nothing in comparison to yours!)

Thank you so much for answering my questions :smile: If I have any more I'll be sure to ask you! (hope that's okay!)
Reply 8
you don't seem stupid! :biggrin: i love people who are willing to learn about animals (especially piggies) and when i first got mine apart from research i didnt have any practical experience.

yeah ik what you mean about reptiles, they are awesome but they aren't very animated or interactive, piggies defiently are! Im glad ur beardie went to a good home though althoughit must have been very sad for you to say goodbye to her :frown:.

Yeah if you just let them out (especially at first) without any cover they would just get scared/freeze/play dead/huddle together. If they have a safe place to go it helps them build their confidence.

Yeah they are quite cheap and some places offer a discount if you buy more than 1 to encourage people to keep more than 1 (social etc)

Yeah my parents (especially my mum) love them so don't mind them having their own room. Honestly if you are going to keep them properly you need a large cage such as this one: http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/small-pet/rabbit-hutches-and-runs/indoor-rabbit/rabbit-120-guinea-pig-and-dwarf-rabbit-cage

My 2 female piggies have this cage http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/small-pet/rabbit-hutches-and-runs/indoor-rabbit/rabbit-140-guinea-pig-and-rabbit-cage-%28online-only%29
My male has the one size below the first one but that is because he lives by himself and mixes at night. The minimum cage size appropriate for more than 1 guinea pig is the first hyperlink imo. Our piggies have their own room (the front room) but this isn't neseccary really if you don't have the space. The woodshavings and hay can make a bit of a mess but if you have laminate floor (we do in their room) you can just sweep it up with a dustpan and brush. Yeah they do need space to excersise.

No problem :biggrin: always happy to answer piggie related questions :smile:

Aww thanks :smile: Yeah it wasn't nice seeing her go :frown: But to be honest the guy I sold it to is much more capable than I am of taking good care of her, so I'm happy about that!

Goodness, it's question after question. I'm so sorry! But when you said they need space to exercise, would that be inside their cage or outside?

I should have the room, but it wouldn't be my room that's for sure! That's cool, so I guess it's okay to buy anything from Pets at Home apart from the guinea pigs themselves, right? And I see that most of the money is in the guinea pig housing (obviously!).

(I should maybe do some research myself instead of bugging you about it!)

I think animals in general are overlooked or taken for granted by many! And how humans as a whole treat animals is generally shocking! Why would anyone want to abuse and/or kill animals? I always laugh when I hear people talk about how dangerous say, sharks are, when we kill so many more of them than they kill us! It's clear they see us as a threat! Don't know whether you agree, or whether you think I'm wrong!

Thank you for the links! I definitely have to consider it! :biggrin: :wink:
Where has this thread been all my life!!

My guinea pigs boris and jeff are such great companions and are so friendly and loyal!!

Also if you have any questions about guinea pigs, i am your girl, i am a fully trained pets at home colleague as well as guinea pig fanatic!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Don't be sorry i love answering guinea pig/animal questions because i usually don't get to as the people i go to school with aren't that interested. you're not bugging me honest :biggrin:. Personally i have always excersised mine indoors as the runs that you buy for outdoors are no bigger than a lot of cages so i don't really see how they are excersising more than they would in the cage, also parasite issue etc. Also they love contact so it is nice for them to be in an area where they get a lot of contact. I just let mine out on the floor of the room to excersise, i try to make it more interesting for them by spreading their veg around so they can forage and put in houses. They do more excersise now we have a male as he is very energetic. I let them out in the evening so i can clean their cages whilst they eat and run around.
You can get pens for them though if you don't have loads of space and you can just put these in their room. I keep them out 4 about an hour (however long they want rlly)

Yeah the housing is the most expensive part really, and yes pets at home is great for everyhting except the piggies. And for regular buys such as hay and woodshavings it is good value :smile:

Honestly your'e not bugging me :smile: obviously though i am just one person and i know people keep piggies in other ways (still wouldn't recommend outdoors though). For instance some people have large pens instead of a cage although that takes up a lot of space. Here are some useful websites that i use :biggrin::

Websites:
http://www.guinealynx.info/
http://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/pets/rodents/guineapigs
http://jackiesguineapiggies.com/piggycare.html

Books:
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/small-pet/small-pet/small-pet-books/the-guinea-pigGUINEA PIGS" BY HANS L. SCHIPPERS
I agree, i am into animal welfare and i completely agree, this is why i like talking to people like you because you seem passionate about animals and consider the welfare of animals. 110% agree about sharks, i love sharks and yes we kill far more sharks than they kill people. Shark fin soup makes me so angry :angry:

Ask away if you have any more questions:biggrin:

I'm glad I'm not being a burden! :biggrin: And the websites are really informative! Thank you! I'll have a proper read now! :smile: And I'll probably buy the book if I do buy the guinea pigs :biggrin:

And I know what you mean about others not being interested! I just talk to them whether they're interested or not haha

I'd be able to keep a cage in my room, but the problem is they would have no room to exercise there because there isn't a lot of floor space! So I'd probably have to take them all the way downstairs! Not the best idea.

Yeah definitely, animals don't deserve to be treated harshly just as a human doesn't deserve it. Although it happens with animals and humans all the same (the world that we live in :angry:) And yeah, I hate that! Shark fin soup! And apparently the shark fin is added for texture, and is virtually tasteless, but the soup contains most of the flavour. Really makes me angry as well! I'm not sure whether you've seen the documentary that Gordon Ramsay did on shark fins where he went up to a rooftop and the roof was completely stacked with shark fins that were "drying out". Apparently the owners of that building called some people and Ramsay and the crew were held at gunpoint afterwards! But yeah, horrible!

I'll be sure to ask you if I have any more questions! Thank you for being so kind! :hugs:
:biggrin: it's ok if you need to take them downstairs you can get little carriers called caddies and you just pop them in that and carry them down. http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/small-pet/dwarf-hamster/dwarf-hamster-travel/aladino--animal-carrier

:biggrin:yes totally agree! you know a lot about sharks as well (wish i could rep you again but it won't let me :frown:).

No problem, you are such an awesome person 2 talk to! :jumphug:

Ah that's good! I was gonna say I don't want to risk carrying them down the stairs or something! That's really useful!

Yeah I would have repped you for every post if it let me! It doesn't let me either though. :frown: It's okay I don't mind not getting rep!

And I don't know that much about sharks really, it was that documentary I'd say!

Aww thank you :biggrin: You are too! :smile:
I just did :biggrin:DDDD
aww i can always count on u :h:

Haha :h:

How are your guinea pigs then? I would still like some, maybe I get some one day! :biggrin:
:smile: I have made this thread for all those that love/own/appreciate guinea pigs.

I personally feel that Guinea Pigs are very underrated creatures whereas they are actually loyal, responsive rodents who once tame form a lasting bond wit h their owners. :heart:

Feel free to post ur guinea pigs pics as well as expressing how much you like guinea pigs

:grouphugs:

my lovely guinea buddy
this is very much appreciated:beer::beer::bigsmile:
hehe :h:
they are ok, they are as cute as ever although they are quite hungry and squeeky so im gonna feed them now :biggrin:

:hugs:

Awww :smile:

:hugs:
Hedgehogs and squirrels > guinea pigs
Reply 17
I am proud to be apart of this

Guinea pigs are really cute, I only have kittens but look!

Reply 19
:rofl: *makes you a deputy* :h:

Omg, thanks :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest